LAN-based Messaging Similar to Pushover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAN-based Messaging Similar to Pushover

Does anyone know of a LAN-based messaging system similar to Pushover. I want to get trouble notifications across the LAN even when my internet connection is down.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

What type of clients? If windows Jon00 rcnm can do pop up predefined macro notifications on the screen

Comment

Iphone, ipad, or android tablet. Message would be initiated from an HS event. Does not need to be two-way.
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Find a good app for your device(s) that listens to a port. Use Big6 to send the alert to that port. Big6 supports multiple protocols to allow you for wider range of apps. Unfortunately I never faced a need for that and I can't be more specific. For me losing the Internet connection is the biggest trouble of them all and I wouldn't care about other issues until I restore the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
          Find a good app for your device(s) that listens to a port.
          Yes, I think this is the tricky part. For now, I think I'm just going to try a Raspberry Pi with some LED status indicators and control them with Node-RED. This is a low priority project because, as you said, I've got bigger problems when the internet goes down.

Comment

I suggest looking for a self hosted chat software.

As I have a Synology Nas, I use their chat application.
            Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
            Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
            Number of Devices: 633
            Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.54.0: BLBackup
            2.0.40.0: BLLAN
            3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
            30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
            3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
            3.0.0.87: weatherXML
            3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

I found MQTT Dash on Android an easy way to get a dashboard of information from the LAN. You could send the MQTT message from HS such as an event action or from a microcontroller that’s monitoring the internet connection. Some routers also provide status of a dropped internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Yes, I think this is the tricky part. For now, I think I'm just going to try a Raspberry Pi with some LED status indicators and control them with Node-RED. This is a low priority project because, as you said, I've got bigger problems when the internet goes down.
                I'm using LEDs on some of my HS300 Switches to indicate when a device on the LAN looses connection. I use BLLAN to monitor the connections. I don't usually carry my phone around when I'm home since texts and calls will indicate on my Garmin Watch. I found that noticing a blinking light on a few switches around the house works well for me.

Comment

Thanks all for the siggestions. I'm off to do some reading and maybe test a few things out.

Comment

Just thought I'd circle back and let everyone know what I came up with. As it turns out, the UDM Pro keeps track of internet status (thanks Micheal) and this can be monitored using the Unifi plugin by stefxx. I also found out that most of the time my internet connection problems are caused by some sort of Comcast diagnostics that hang up my cable modem. Power cycling the cable modem gets it back online.

Now comes the events and power modules.

I created an event that is triggered if the UDM Pro Internet device has been "Disconnected" for exactly 5 minutes. The action is to power cycle the cable modem using a Sonoff S31 running Tasmota. The event then disables itself and enables a second event that watches for the internet device to show "Connected". If after another 5 minutes the Internet still isn't back, the action turns on a second Sonoff S31 with an LED nightlight covered with a red film. Using a P-Touch, I created a label that says "Internet Down". The second event then disables itself and enables a third event that monitors for the internet to show "Connected" again and the action is to turn off the red nightlight. The third event also re-enables the initial event that watches for the internet to become "Disconnected".

It got tested this morning and appears to be working as expected.

Comment

Do the top part of this flow, circled, for UDM Pro's WWW Status checked every minute:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	88.7 KB ID:	1569631​​(EDIT: The bottom Change node should say Off as it sets the message to turn this device Off and not On. I copied the node from above and captured the image before I edited the copied node. - Long day...)

Using the Node-RED contrib node-red-contrib-unifi you could get the Unifi Stats from the UDM Pro. Using an Inject node configured as follows it would give you a status every minute:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	1569628

​Set the Unifi Node to use the SitesStats command, as shown (Could use Health if you wanted. I use SitesStats to get user counts and more, though.)
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	13.1 KB ID:	1569629

Now go through a Filter (formerly RBE) node to filter out when payload[0].health[2].status has changed (Check to make sure payload[0].health[2].subsystem = "www" before using this though) and you can control a HomeSeer device or send an MQTT command to the Tasmota device which would then be picked up by HomeSeer as well, if so configured. The Status will be "ok" when you have an internet connection. So you can use a Switch node to look for payload[0].health[2].status​ being "ok" or not and toggle whatever you like from this and will know within a minute's time when the UDM Pro is reporting a down internet.

The Filter Node:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	1569630

Last edited by ksum; October 5, 2022, 04:01 PM. Reason: See EDIT note in message
                      Karl S
                      HS4Pro on Windows 10
                      1070 Devices
                      56 Z-Wave Nodes
                      104 Events
                      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                      X