LAN-based Messaging Similar to Pushover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAN-based Messaging Similar to Pushover

Does anyone know of a LAN-based messaging system similar to Pushover. I want to get trouble notifications across the LAN even when my internet connection is down.

What type of clients? If windows Jon00 rcnm can do pop up predefined macro notifications on the screen

Comment

Iphone, ipad, or android tablet. Message would be initiated from an HS event. Does not need to be two-way.

Comment

Find a good app for your device(s) that listens to a port. Use Big6 to send the alert to that port. Big6 supports multiple protocols to allow you for wider range of apps. Unfortunately I never faced a need for that and I can't be more specific. For me losing the Internet connection is the biggest trouble of them all and I wouldn't care about other issues until I restore the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
          Find a good app for your device(s) that listens to a port.
          Yes, I think this is the tricky part. For now, I think I'm just going to try a Raspberry Pi with some LED status indicators and control them with Node-RED. This is a low priority project because, as you said, I've got bigger problems when the internet goes down.

Comment

I suggest looking for a self hosted chat software.

As I have a Synology Nas, I use their chat application.

Comment

I found MQTT Dash on Android an easy way to get a dashboard of information from the LAN. You could send the MQTT message from HS such as an event action or from a microcontroller that’s monitoring the internet connection. Some routers also provide status of a dropped internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Yes, I think this is the tricky part. For now, I think I'm just going to try a Raspberry Pi with some LED status indicators and control them with Node-RED. This is a low priority project because, as you said, I've got bigger problems when the internet goes down.
                I'm using LEDs on some of my HS300 Switches to indicate when a device on the LAN looses connection. I use BLLAN to monitor the connections. I don't usually carry my phone around when I'm home since texts and calls will indicate on my Garmin Watch. I found that noticing a blinking light on a few switches around the house works well for me.

Comment

Thanks all for the siggestions. I'm off to do some reading and maybe test a few things out.

Comment

Working...
                  X