Fanimation and WAC Lighting Fan Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanimation and WAC Lighting Fan Control

Has anyone looked in to controlling Fanimation wifi fan controllers or WAC Lighting wifi fan control via homeseer? I didn't see anything via search, so I'm guessing a plugin doesn't currently exist, but thought I'd ask if anyone has researched it or if there's interest to look in to it. I use the AK Bond plugin for one of my fans and it works fantastic - hope there could be a similar one for Fanimation and WAC Lighting fan controllers.

Fanimation - https://fanimation.com/products/cont...nsync-dc-wifi/
    WAC Lighting - https://www.waclighting.com/storage/...37L_INSSHT.pdf

I did stumble on this interesting (no longer available, but archived) blog article on someone who tried to end-round this by using a google assistant relay capability. This might be an interesting place to start, but really isn't a direct integration as much as a wrapper. https://web.archive.org/web/20220516...an-automation/

Thanks!

You didn't say whether you already owned the Fanimation fan or not. On the outside chance that you're still shopping, I went with something like this https://www.build.com/fanimation-lev...hId=3bUceaDRRs and added their light kit.

Our office has a hunter fan that my wife absolutely loves, but has to be controlled with a Bond bridge and the the AK Bond plugin. Unfortunately, while Bond works, it sometimes gets out of synch with HS4 which causes my OCD to have fits.

Since my wife won't let me smash that fan into little pieces, I got to pick out the Fanimation one I liked for our family room. The pull string controlled fans let you use a Z-Wave fan controller, and subsequently no out-of-synch issues with HS4. IMHO, it's just the best solution.

As always, YMMV...

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
      You didn't say whether you already owned the Fanimation fan or not. On the outside chance that you're still shopping, I went with something like this https://www.build.com/fanimation-lev...hId=3bUceaDRRs and added their light kit.

Our office has a hunter fan that my wife absolutely loves, but has to be controlled with a Bond bridge and the the AK Bond plugin. Unfortunately, while Bond works, it sometimes gets out of synch with HS4 which causes my OCD to have fits.

Since my wife won't let me smash that fan into little pieces, I got to pick out the Fanimation one I liked for our family room. The pull string controlled fans let you use a Z-Wave fan controller, and subsequently no out-of-synch issues with HS4. IMHO, it's just the best solution.

As always, YMMV...
      Thanks. Yes, I do have 2 fanimation fans, and both use the add on wifi module. It works great with their physical controller and with the app. I've not yet tried to look in to the network traffic to see what's happening, but using a fan switch isn't the way I'd like to go.

I can see how in the bond case getting out of sync could be frustrating if it's not able to poll status accurately.

Comment

Bond is a one-way RF communication device. AK Bond is used to have the Bond bridge send a signal, but HS4 has no way to know if the command was actually received/acted on by the RF-controlled device.

As an example, when HSTouch is used to toggle or turn on/off a fan or light via AK Bond, HSTouch will show the device as whatever it was asked to do. With a Z-Wave switch, HS4 knows the status of the switch.

If the fan did not receive the RF command, or it didn't turn on/off for whatever reason, because HS4 does not communicate directly with the RF-controlled device, HSTouch will now be showing the wrong status.

Now the original RF device needs to be used to toggle the fan/light to get it back to the status that HS4 thinks it should be.

Does that make sense?

It does happen - sometimes one of the RF devices simply doesn't respond to the Bond bridge. I don't know why, the Bond transmitter never moves, nor do the RF-controlled devices.

The log doesn't show anything abnormal, and I'm not even sure where to begin debugging this. It's really frustrating for me to have my GUI (HSTouch) showing the wrong status for the device.

Comment

A bit late on this - but I do have this working with a slightly Rube Goldberg setup that has worked well for over a year. I have the fanimation wifi interface fan logged into my Alexis account (I have an Alexis device - but I don't think it needs it) - I am controlling that via my raspberry pi hosted nodered server (they have a Alexis plugin) that is interfaced into my homeseer via the normal webhook. A lot going on - but allows homeseer to control my fan/light and is somewhat shockingly reliable. All this adds about a 1 second delay for actions. Let me know if you would like to find out more.

Comment

For anyone who stumbles on this, I was able to get a pretty elegant solution by Connecting the WAC fans to SmartThings, then using the SmartThings plugin to see the fans. Works great!

Comment

Working...
            X