Special offer on Flume smart water meters for LADWP customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special offer on Flume smart water meters for LADWP customers

I just read recently that you can get a Flume smart water meter for something like $49 and then after you set it up, LADWP will reimburse you another $25. I figured couldn't beat that price for a smart water meter that requires no professionals to install.

Here's a link to an article on it for anyone interested: https://www.ladwpnews.com/ladwp-offe...toring-device/

Wish I lived in LA. Wait, no I don't! LOL!

Comment

Seems like a sweet deal but remember to read the fine print VERY CAREFULLY. Remember the folks who got the FREE Nest thermostats only to find them being remotely set to 78 and locked out during hot days? Not saying they can/will do anything like that, but make sure to read carefully.
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
        Seems like a sweet deal but remember to read the fine print VERY CAREFULLY. Remember the folks who got the FREE Nest thermostats only to find them being remotely set to 78 and locked out during hot days? Not saying they can/will do anything like that, but make sure to read carefully.
        I appreciate the heads up. Very fair point. I didn't see any fine print anywhere in the offer, so I think this deal doesn't have any gotchas, but I leave that determination up to you.

Comment

I have a flume from a similar deal. It has no actuator so the free Nest analogy isn't quite right. However, you could imagine the water company penalizing use on a much finer time scale instead of just every month. Weigh that unlikely (but possible) scenario with your possible benefits, such as leak detection.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMatthews View Post
            I have a flume from a similar deal. It has no actuator so the free Nest analogy isn't quite right. However, you could imagine the water company penalizing use on a much finer time scale instead of just every month. Weigh that unlikely (but possible) scenario with your possible benefits, such as leak detection.
            Good to know. I"m looking for a similar device to monitor so irrigation zones that are far from the house.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

mcsMQTT does have an integration of Flume. It is cloud based. I am not aware of any means to avoid the cloud with the integration.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                mcsMQTT does have an integration of Flume. It is cloud based. I am not aware of any means to avoid the cloud with the integration.
                @McSharry how do you use Flume with mcsMQTT? I didn't know it could do that. Cool.

Comment

Section 12.7 of mcsMQTT.pdf describes the Flume integration. https://plugins.homeseer.com/guides/410_mcsMQTT.pdf It is just one case of the general API integration which is typically done with the Cloud-based servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    Section 12.7 of mcsMQTT.pdf describes the Flume integration. https://plugins.homeseer.com/guides/410_mcsMQTT.pdf It is just one case of the general API integration which is typically done with the Cloud-based servers.
                    Thanks Michael.

Comment

Working...
                    X