Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matter: Is there a HomeSeer technology roadmap or even a plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No technology left behind?
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...-home-ces-2022
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      Lots of announcements of planned support and general intentions. Maybe in another 2 years we will see some actual products get released.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

Lots of announcements of planned support and general intentions. Maybe in another 2 years we will see some actual products get released.
        And by then someone will be touting the newer/better/faster Anti-Matter protocol.

Part of the problem is that, for the foreseeable future, we are locked-in to an outdated wiring protocol and antiquated codes. We won't see a tremendous leap forward until the infrastructure goes through a change of the type not seen since the switch from gas to electricity.

Comment

Demystifying the "complex" : https://www.the-ambient.com/guides/w...mart-home-2410

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
            Thread doesn't seem to solve any problem in a complex smart home. It should solve some connectivity problems in a sparsely populated beginner's smart home.

Many people here have robust z-wave, zigbee and wifi networks. Plus some hippies still running X10 effectively. It's nice to know that my homepod mini's have a thread router, but they sure are still using up a lot of wifi bandwidth while seemingly at idle.

It seem to me that Thread is designed to keep Apple, Google, and Amazon at the center with a hub they can claim is not a hub.

On a tangent I had my first experience with a z-wave USB stick yesterday. Performance sucked until I put it on a USB extension cable. I was surprised. There are certainly several ways that newbies can get a bad impression of z-wave

Matter on zwave 800:
            Silicon Labs will be showcasing a Z-Wave to Matter bridge solution with Unify SDK at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2022.

Comment

dmiller ,

Demystifying the "complex"
              as with the "thread" or the topic at hand...

But if you would prefer more meat on it, right here : https://openthread.io/guides/border-router/web-gui

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by dmiller View Post

It seem to me that Thread is designed to keep Apple, Google, and Amazon at the center with a hub they can claim is not a hub.
                [/URL].
                It is definitely not a hub... or a gateway, or a bridge, or a processor, or a controller. It is an Edge Router which is obviously totally different somehow.

Comment

Knowing now that Thread is devices talking to each other, where does that fit in with/for the die hard "Automation" nerds?...
                  How does that all fit in with my old Pioneer AMP which is currently fired into action using HomeSeer routines/events?... Yes the fully baked Home Automation may/may not require touch control which seemingly is not discussed about all things "Thread"
                  • The missing code is how to apply to existing Home Automation setups (this device may be required : https://www.nxp.com/products/wireles...s:OM15080-K32W )
                  • If all goes to plan in the grand scheme of IoT in a connected home, I wouldn't like to be reaching out for my phone to control things but expect the window blinds to magically close if I sat down to watch a movie because the LUX sensor has detected that it's still day light out there... That's what is needed to be discussed in terms of integration
                  The borderline automation/integration there may seem to be to date where Apple TV 4K is concerned with the addition of HomeSeer and Node-RED routines/Events would be : https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...rib-apple-tv-x

Well..., you may already have some of these devices in your home so it seems like a good starting point.

Eman.

Comment

i don't care at all about thread/matter
                    i went with z-wave so that any smartphone couldn't block my HA communication like they can flood and block wifi networks
                    i went with homeseer so that everything important happens locally and amazon/google/apple aren't involved

if matter ever turns out to actually matter, someone will write a plugin or HS will incorporate it. i'm not worried at all.

Comment

Originally posted by acabtp View Post
                      i don't care at all about thread/matter
                      i went with z-wave so that any smartphone couldn't block my HA communication like they can flood and block wifi networks
                      i went with homeseer so that everything important happens locally and amazon/google/apple aren't involved

if matter ever turns out to actually matter, someone will write a plugin or HS will incorporate it. i'm not worried at all.
                      I agree but I've become less militant. I've struggled a bit with z-wave in two detached garages. Both garages have good wifi and one has ethernet. To do it over again I would not have done z-wave in the garages but used wifi switches. I'm not going to have 40 wifi dimmers in my house, but a few don't hurt. I think in general HA users tend to be too promiscuous with technology choices. Especially HASS users. But I probably became too dogmatic with z-wave purity.

Comment

Now that Z-Wave has been around a while and with the benefit of hindsight:

I'm really disappointed and upset in how Sigma handled "the patent' on sending local control status back to the controller. This caused Z-Wave devices to be manufactured without this much-needed technology. As consumers, we were stuck with 'polling' just to get a status, or using HAIL to send a request for the update. Polling/HAIL just served to congest a network and sometimes caused a negative consumer experience. So, shame on Sigma.

Anyway, that's just my rant.

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by dmiller View Post

I agree but I've become less militant. I've struggled a bit with z-wave in two detached garages. Both garages have good wifi and one has ethernet. To do it over again I would not have done z-wave in the garages but used wifi switches. I'm not going to have 40 wifi dimmers in my house, but a few don't hurt. I think in general HA users tend to be too promiscuous with technology choices. Especially HASS users. But I probably became too dogmatic with z-wave purity.
                          Had some issues with zwave reliability in our detached garage, installed a z-net in the garage moved all the devices to that z-net and all the issues are so far resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by sbwright View Post

Had some issues with zwave reliability in our detached garage, installed a z-net in the garage moved all the devices to that z-net and all the issues are so far resolved.
                            +1
                            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              Now that Z-Wave has been around a while and with the benefit of hindsight:

I'm really disappointed and upset in how Sigma handled "the patent' on sending local control status back to the controller. This caused Z-Wave devices to be manufactured without this much-needed technology. As consumers, we were stuck with 'polling' just to get a status, or using HAIL to send a request for the update. Polling/HAIL just served to congest a network and sometimes caused a negative consumer experience. So, shame on Sigma.

Anyway, that's just my rant.
                              Interesting to see what Eric from Inovelli has to say about Z-Wave going forward:

"This brings up the question – why do you sell Z-Wave then?

This is one we’re wrestling with internally – and we’ve landed on the strategy of selling Z-Wave to security companies who require the security that Z-Wave offers and then if the home automation enthusiasts want Z-Wave, they can certainly have them.

However, our focus from a consumer standpoint is going to be ZigBee/CHIP/Matter as that’s where the big dogs are playing and where we can fill more of the gaps in the industry."

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

Interesting to see what Eric from Inovelli has to say about Z-Wave going forward:

"This brings up the question – why do you sell Z-Wave then?

This is one we’re wrestling with internally – and we’ve landed on the strategy of selling Z-Wave to security companies who require the security that Z-Wave offers and then if the home automation enthusiasts want Z-Wave, they can certainly have them.

However, our focus from a consumer standpoint is going to be ZigBee/CHIP/Matter as that’s where the big dogs are playing and where we can fill more of the gaps in the industry."
                                Adding an interface to HS is pretty simple. I use the JowiHue plug in for HS fro Zigbee and it works great. Homeseer doesn't need a technology "plan", they need to be flexible to allow users to adopt whatever technology is current to their area. No doubt Matter or whatever new standard pops up will be accessible via a plug in.
                                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                                X