Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WiFi equivalent to the X-10 Universal Module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi equivalent to the X-10 Universal Module?

Has anyone found a WiFi version of the old X-10 Universal Module? I have a need to trigger a status change from an alarm box contact. I would normally use a z-wave door/window sensor, but in this case, I have to use WiFi. Also in this case, I would prefer not to deal with batteries, but that's not a show stopper. SURELY there is something like a UM out there that is WiFi!

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
    Has anyone found a WiFi version of the old X-10 Universal Module? I have a need to trigger a status change from an alarm box contact. I would normally use a z-wave door/window sensor, but in this case, I have to use WiFi. Also in this case, I would prefer not to deal with batteries, but that's not a show stopper. SURELY there is something like a UM out there that is WiFi!
    I have nothing to contribute to the question, but I always look forward to your Halloween automation post
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Take a look at the Dingtian Tech relay boards. They also have digital inputs that can be used as dry contact inputs. They are WiFi or Ethernet and can talk MQTT.

https://www.dingtian-tech.com/en_us/index.html

I have a spare 2 channel one. Let me know if you want me to test anything for you?
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

A Shelly 1 gives you a dry relay contact if thats all you need. Powered by AC or DC and talks MQTT. or its own Shelly API.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

I have nothing to contribute to the question, but I always look forward to your Halloween automation post
          LOL! You have plenty to contribute! You have helped me a LOT over the years. I am AT LEAST 6 days behind on Halloween. We'll see what happens!

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

LOL! You have plenty to contribute! You have helped me a LOT over the years. I am AT LEAST 6 days behind on Halloween. We'll see what happens!
            😀
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

A Sonoff SV has GPIO as well. Talks MQTT when flashed with Tasmota.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by dmagerl View Post
                A Shelly 1 gives you a dry relay contact if thats all you need. Powered by AC or DC and talks MQTT. or its own Shelly API.
                I think this is the opposite of what I need. I'm running on 1 hour of sleep so I probably was not very coherent..... I have a switch that would be connected to this device. It would communicate via WIFI that the switch connected to it just changed states. It would work much like a door/window sensor with external switch support, but communicate via WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                  Take a look at the Dingtian Tech relay boards. They also have digital inputs that can be used as dry contact inputs. They are WiFi or Ethernet and can talk MQTT.

https://www.dingtian-tech.com/en_us/index.html

I have a spare 2 channel one. Let me know if you want me to test anything for you?
                  THANK YOU for the info and the offer. I was not very clear about what I was looking for. I need more of a sensor than a controllable switch.....if even that makes sense.....

Comment

Both the DT relay board and the Sonoff SV have inputs that can sense a switch closure. Tie one side of the switch to ground and the other side to the input and the device will send an MQTT message whenever the switch opens or closes.

Comment

I believe any Sonoff module provides for a dry switch closure input. You’d have to flash it with tasmota firmware though to use MQTT. The S31 is the easiest to take apart and flash.

if you want to power from up to 24vdc, the shellyuni uses dry contact inputs.

Comment

The Sonoff SV doesn't have to be taken apart since it's just a low voltage board. Getting the switch wires into the S31 requires you to drill a hole in the case, Since the S31 is mains powered, it has a fully enclosed case.

Comment

I believe the Shelly 1 will so what you want - inexpensive, and there are 3 different HS4 plugins for it. Look up the wiring diagram for it to see if it can do it the way you want.
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                            The Sonoff SV doesn't have to be taken apart since it's just a low voltage board. Getting the switch wires into the S31 requires you to drill a hole in the case, Since the S31 is mains powered, it has a fully enclosed case.
                            What was I thinking! The S31 doesnt have a switch. Something like the Sonoff mini would work. It has dry contact inputs.

Comment

So I tried a Wifi door/window sensor. I removed the reed switch and soldered in leads that connect to this alarm box dry contacts. It worked PERFECTLY.....about 4 times and was then somewhat hit or miss. I replaced the batteries with a power supply and again, it worked PERFECTLY about 4-5 times and then notsomuch. I need this to work EVERY time. It HAS to be WiFi, for now. The Shelly and Sonoff devices seem to be doing the opposite of what I need. I have never owned either, so I could be missing something, but from the specs I have been able to find they don't do what I need. I have found ZigBee and Z-Wave devices that can do what I need, but so far, no WiFi that I can find... Any other ideas? Surely someone has a WiFi device that monitors a wired switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X