Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice

My insteon 2413U just died. I have 15 insteon devices (light switches, door sensors, I/O modules). What is the cheapest way to solve this issue?
    Pay $250+ for a used 2413U, dump insteon entirely (I'm leaning toward this) and go to z-wave or Tuya? Either way is going to cost $.
    Can anyone offer advice?
    Thanx

This is really up to you and how much you want to spend. The Tuya route would be the least expensive.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      This is really up to you and how much you want to spend. The Tuya route would be the least expensive.
      But - I believe not all Tuya devices allow local control. I prefer local control where I can.

Comment

Tasmota ized devices would be better. No cloud at all this way.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've had good luck with Z-Wave and Zigbee devices. Both require a hub while Tuya and Tasmota use WiFi. I replaced all of my Tuya devices due to lack of local control. Even though some devices are supported for local control, setting up local control was pretty tedious.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

The new Dimmers that I am using are Tasmota / Tuya here.

With Tasmota you have the option of emulating Wemo. These work great with LED lamps and they have an external switch to go to relay mode rather than dimmer mode.

These are known as Virage dimmers. They are around $20 USD unlabeled on Ebay these days.

VirageDimmer

- Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

PeteDo these come pre-flashed with Tasmota or do they have to be dis-assembled. I've found switches and outlets somewhat difficult to disassemble and re-assemble correctly. I'd gladly pay more for pre-flashed devices.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

kenm

Do these come pre-flashed with Tasmota or do they have to be dis-assembled?

The switches sold by Virage (Canada) come with a custom Virage Tasmota custom firmware which is easy to replace.

The unlabeled Ebay switches are cloud enabled that you configure with your smart phone.

I've found switches and outlets somewhat difficult to disassemble and re-assemble correctly. I'd gladly pay more for pre-flashed devices.

Yes the Virage sold switches are three times more than the generic ones sold on Ebay.

Once you have taken one apart, upgraded it and put it back together next one comes easy. Just plastic mostly held together with small screws.

These are the nicest looking and most functional dimmer (or relay) switches that I have found to date. The Tasmota OS is well documented and has many features.

I will post a step by step with pictures on the forum here detailing the upgrade of these switches.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I had about 10 of ZEN76 zooz z wave switch. So far no issue and not too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke

Get your 2413U rebuilt with upgraded components. $75 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284790289019
                    Would like to do this but I can't find how to order. It mentions a drop down menu. But I can't find it. Can you he, p.

Comment

I order from the link below.
                      https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...l-switch-zen76

Comment

Originally posted by Ken.238 View Post
                        I had about 10 of ZEN76 zooz z wave switch. So far no issue and not too expensive.
                        i have had a few zooz go bad but at $25 each and still toggle style to keep the wife happy... i will keep buying them. just bought 4 more...
                        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke
                          There is a drop down menu on the ebay listing under select your model, for the condition of your current unit. If you can't get that to operate just email the seller.
                          Finally figure out that link doesn't show if you're viewing on phone. Got home and tried on computer and got repair ordered-and now it's shipped in for repair,
                          THANX!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken.238 View Post
                            Think I'll try a few of these to prepare for future issues!
                            THANX

Comment

Working...
                            X