Hometroller SEL Fried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hometroller SEL Fried

Hi all - looking for help on a couple of fronts - I'm not a techie so please go easy on me .

Okay, here goes :: power outtage >> hometroller fried. Black screen on boot. Doesn't appear on find.homeseer.com.

I have taken the hard drive out and put it in a synology, which reads healthy. Just want to backup the HS folder before anything else, but don't know what synology will do to the drive and whether it may ruin the boot sequence once it's returned to the hometroller. This is question 1 :: can I create a storage pool in synology to copy the HS folder for backup?

Question 2 :: Let's say the drive is fine, what else can I do to troubleshoot this thing? Or is it fried for good? How else can I get a sign of life from the device?

Question 3 :: If the device is fried, and assuming I can get the backup off the drive, what's the recommended course of action? raspberry pi, get HS4 and start all over again?

Thanks you all in advance.

Pete

Do you see any indication that the SEL powers up? IE: LEDs blinking. If not it could be a bad power supply to your SEL.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply - I do see the blue light on the power button. No other leds on the unit. Also replaced the cell battery 2032 on the unit. Still nothing.

Other ideas?

Any thoughts on how to backup the HS folder grabbing the hard drive from the SEL and inserting it in a synology? Can I create a storage pool? Or better not?

Comment

I would not worry about the hard drive at this time. Its sounds like it is intact at this time.

Does it post when you boot it? IE: do you see anything on a connected monitor when powering it up?

You can remove it if you want and do an image backup of it using GParted on another Linux computer. You can also do a directory backup using a USB to HDD cable on another Linux computer.

IE: here keep a Homeseer backup directory on the NAS which includes both image and directory backups.

Press the power button (blue LED) until the LED goes dark. Then press it again. Computer might be asleep or it can still be a power supply issue.

If you get it to post then go to the BIOS and adjust the power features such that it never goes to power saving mode (alseep).

Typically pulling the cmos battery resets the BIOS and you should have seen it post.

You can also check on the power supply voltage unplugging from the computer and using a VOM to see if the voltage matches what is on the label of the power supply.

Power glitches typically affect the power supply and not so much the computer itself these days.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi. Thanks again. Still black screen. Monitor still asking to "check connection cable". Seems the power supply unit still delivers 12v.

more ideas?

Comment

Yes the monitor asking "check connection cable" means that there is no video output on the computer.

So checked are:

1 - power supply - OK
            2 - hard drive - OK
            3 - computer / motherboard doesn't post - not OK

You mentioned changing the CMOS battery. Did you jumper to reset the BIOS when changing the battery? Usually just removing the battery resets the bios but its good to jumper it, power it up, then move the jumper back in place and power it up again. You have to refer to the motherboard manual for the location of the little cmos jumper.

What MFG / Model number is your computer. Thinking Homeseer was using Gigabyte?

Guessing that it is a GIGABYTE BRIX GB-BXBT-2807.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBare...2807-rev-10#ov

Manual is here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBare...support-manual

Here is a used one. Offer seller $50 USD for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12552260104...Bk9SR5bjoOaJYQ

Then just pop in your HDD to the used Brix and you should be good to go.

‚ÄčGigabyte BRIX GB-BXBT-2807 seems completely bricked after powering off
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So I bought one here in the UK. Cross fingers.

On the manual, I couldn't find the cmos jumper you mentioned. What am I looking for?

Comment

Good news Pete!! Curious how much you paid for it?

You should be fine just swapping out the HDD/SSD drive. While it is out purchase a USB to SATA cable and back up the drive to your NAS.

Researching CMOS pins on the Brix do not see any. So you have already disconnected the battery so that should also reset the BIOS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gigabyte-brix-disconnect-battery.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1574446
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Paid 50 pounds (UK) for it. Worth the try.

you tell me just swapping the drives will magically work. Back in the 90s we called this automagically.

thanks for your help!

Comment

Yes it will be automatically (automagically )recognized and will boot just fine. That said before using it try plugging in the new power supply to your old computer. It might work anyhow.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete
                      I have had some not so good experiences with the gigabyte SEL. I have two of them, now both bricked or simply dead.
                      One I bought from HomeSeer as a refurbished and after a short time (a few days) it would crash. Reboot and it would be ok for a few days.
                      I thought it was the power supply, and bought a new wall wart, but same story. Then purchased a used gigabyte Brix same model, and transferred the
                      hard drive. Again ok for longer, still needing to reboot after crashing or simply shutting itself down. But one day it did what yours did, died completely.
                      Won't boot to the bios, get the message of connect cable on the monitor. I gave up. I now have a Rock64 SBC (like a raspberry pi), loaded HS3 on it.
                      (before hs4, and haven't upgraded to hs4 yet, even though I have a license for hs4)
                      I personally would get another small format computer, like the Raspberry pi or Rock64, or something else and start over, ie transferring your HS directory
                      to the new computer, and not worry about it.
                      But I wish you the best with the new one you bought.

PS - one problem with the Raspberry pi or Rock 64 is you can only connect a hard drive by USB, Otherwise it is SD card based (which can have its own problems)

Good Luck
                      Bruce

Comment

I googled the model Gigabyte and did see a few folks complaining about it bricking itself after a couple of years.

Yes; here have house two running on a Pine64 and have tested HS3-4 on a TVBox S912 Octocore CPU to run fine with Armbian Linux.

The above said been switching over to Intel CPUs and now shrinking footprint to using Lenova Tiny computers. Very reasonably priced these days. Moving my Homeseer 4 box to a Lenova Tiny M900. This box will be running Homeseer 4, Home Assistant, Cumulus MX. Oracle VBs for HA and W7 (for SAPI speech).

Last M900 purchased for less than $100. Base is Ubuntu 22.04.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply - yes, I've been thinking about moving over to RPi but I'm not very techie and never know what sort of trouble I'm going to run into. Or whether I will have to re-add each and every device, light bulb, sensor and so on to the new device. That might be a fun exercise for some, but I dread the idea.

I do have a couple of raspberry pi's which have never complained with a power outage, which I get from time to time. The Gigabyte SEL, on the other hand, doesn't do well with outages.

Given that every technology is bound to fail at some point, I'd say the raspberry pi with its sd card problem would be the easiest to replace?

The M900 looks tempting too. Again, for me the fear factor is transferring what I have to the new environment. More than 30 years working side by side with technology and I never met smooth sailing.

Thanks to both.

Comment

The Lenova M900 Tiny is a standard Intel mini desktop. For transfer of Homeseer it would be just an install of Ubuntu or any flavor of Linux, Mono and copying over your HS4 installation. It is very robust. Over the last year here switching over to the Lenova Tiny computers...(Lenova Tiny M93A and M900). I have around 10 on line now.

My personal preference is due to using a mSata or ssd drive rather than SD card to run Homeseer.

You can purchase the M93Tiny's for around $60 USD which typically come with a 500Gb Sata drive, 8Gb of RAM, power supply et al. and a M900 for around $90 USD. Many Homeseer users have purchased these.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

My only question is whether the Tiny has auto-reboot after power outage.

Besides that, here goes the next :: my gigabyte Brix has HS3 installed. If I buy the Tiny and install Ubuntu, Mono, then I have two options: 1) copy the HS3 folder to the tiny, then upgrade to HS4, or 2) Install a clean HS4, then copy the folder from the Brix. Anyone better than the other? Will all devices transfer automagically?

Comment

Working...
                              X