X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    Good news pc__hs .

Yes...except that the USB dongles should be statically configured with linked names and you should use these linked names for the HS3 plugin configuration.

Do this with HS3 software shut down or off. Not the computer.

Have a look at the motherboard on the old computer for burn marks or maybe an exploding or bulging capacitor. You can replace a bulging capacitor and may be fix the old computer and keep it as a hot spare. Use a magnifying illuminated loop maybe to do this. I have seen the circuit diode in my O2 Jogglers go sometimes with a bad diode (usually burned). Did you test the old computer with the newer power supply?

Personally since the HS1 days have used Digi Edgeport USB to serial boxes. Once connected the serial device links remain the same and never change. In the HS1 and 2 days all devices were typically serially connected to Homeseer. During the HS2 days I had 16 + (Plus) serial devices plugged in. I always purchased Digi Edgeport devices used or refurbished on Ebay as their default new prices were a tad high.

Baby steps here. You cannot break the computer doing this.

In Linux to Linux I do this. In Windows you can use WinSCP and Putty to do the same.

1 - Plug 2 USB sticks in to your new server and ssh to the server and type

sudo su

to have root access.

Read this...personally just googled and this came up first.

Assign a static USB port on Linux

Guessing that the two sticks are USB to serial devices and more than likely will show up as ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1

List USB attributes for the device​

Type:

udevadm info --name=/dev/ttyUSB0 --attribute-walk

and

udevadm info --name=/dev/ttyUSB1 --attribute-walk

I personally just copy and paste the results to a text file or open another terminal session and keep the two open while configuring this.

Here is an example using the CM11A plugged in to a serial to USB adapter coming up as /dev/ttyUSB0

Code:
    Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
    walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
    found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
    A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
    and the attributes from one single parent device.

looking at device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0':
    KERNEL=="ttyUSB0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
    DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/ttyUSB0':
    KERNELS=="ttyUSB0"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb-serial"
    DRIVERS=="pl2303"
    ATTRS{port_number}=="0"

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0':
    KERNELS=="1-3:1.0"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb"
    DRIVERS=="pl2303"
    ATTRS{bInterfaceSubClass}=="00"
    ATTRS{bInterfaceProtocol}=="00"
    ATTRS{bAlternateSetting}==" 0"
    ATTRS{bNumEndpoints}=="03"
    ATTRS{bInterfaceNumber}=="00"
    ATTRS{authorized}=="1"
    ATTRS{supports_autosuspend}=="1"
    ATTRS{bInterfaceClass}=="ff"

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3':
    KERNELS=="1-3"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb"
    DRIVERS=="usb"
    ATTRS{devpath}=="3"
    ATTRS{bMaxPacketSize0}=="64"
    ATTRS{bNumConfigurations}=="1"
    ATTRS{quirks}=="0x0"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="067b"
    ATTRS{authorized}=="1"
    ATTRS{product}=="USB-Serial Controller D"
    ATTRS{configuration}==""
    ATTRS{bDeviceClass}=="00"
    ATTRS{removable}=="removable"
    ATTRS{bNumInterfaces}==" 1"
    ATTRS{busnum}=="1"
    ATTRS{urbnum}=="212"
    ATTRS{bMaxPower}=="100mA"
    ATTRS{devnum}=="3"
    ATTRS{avoid_reset_quirk}=="0"
    ATTRS{bDeviceSubClass}=="00"
    ATTRS{bConfigurationValue}=="1"
    ATTRS{tx_lanes}=="1"
    ATTRS{bDeviceProtocol}=="00"
    ATTRS{bcdDevice}=="0400"
    ATTRS{maxchild}=="0"
    ATTRS{rx_lanes}=="1"
    ATTRS{version}==" 1.10"
    ATTRS{bmAttributes}=="a0"
    ATTRS{ltm_capable}=="no"
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Prolific Technology Inc. "
    ATTRS{speed}=="12"
    ATTRS{idProduct}=="2303"

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1':
    KERNELS=="usb1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb"
    DRIVERS=="usb"
    ATTRS{serial}=="0000:00:14.0"
    ATTRS{maxchild}=="7"
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Linux 5.15.0-52-generic xhci-hcd"
    ATTRS{bConfigurationValue}=="1"
    ATTRS{bcdDevice}=="0515"
    ATTRS{speed}=="480"
    ATTRS{quirks}=="0x0"
    ATTRS{bmAttributes}=="e0"
    ATTRS{bDeviceProtocol}=="01"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1d6b"
    ATTRS{bDeviceClass}=="09"
    ATTRS{busnum}=="1"
    ATTRS{devpath}=="0"
    ATTRS{idProduct}=="0002"
    ATTRS{removable}=="unknown"
    ATTRS{product}=="xHCI Host Controller"
    ATTRS{bDeviceSubClass}=="00"
    ATTRS{avoid_reset_quirk}=="0"
    ATTRS{authorized_default}=="1"
    ATTRS{bMaxPower}=="0mA"
    ATTRS{ltm_capable}=="no"
    ATTRS{devnum}=="1"
    ATTRS{urbnum}=="51"
    ATTRS{rx_lanes}=="1"
    ATTRS{bNumInterfaces}==" 1"
    ATTRS{bMaxPacketSize0}=="64"
    ATTRS{interface_authorized_default}=="1"
    ATTRS{configuration}==""
    ATTRS{version}==" 2.00"
    ATTRS{bNumConfigurations}=="1"
    ATTRS{authorized}=="1"
    ATTRS{tx_lanes}=="1"

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0':
    KERNELS=="0000:00:14.0"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="pci"
    DRIVERS=="xhci_hcd"
    ATTRS{enable}=="1"
    ATTRS{dma_mask_bits}=="64"
    ATTRS{consistent_dma_mask_bits}=="64"
    ATTRS{local_cpulist}=="0-3"
    ATTRS{irq}=="119"
    ATTRS{driver_override}=="(null)"
    ATTRS{numa_node}=="-1"
    ATTRS{msi_bus}=="1"
    ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x8086"
    ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x22b5"
    ATTRS{local_cpus}=="f"
    ATTRS{broken_parity_status}=="0"
    ATTRS{class}=="0x0c0330"
    ATTRS{ari_enabled}=="0"
    ATTRS{device}=="0x22b5"
    ATTRS{dbc}=="disabled"
    ATTRS{vendor}=="0x8086"
    ATTRS{power_state}=="D0"
    ATTRS{revision}=="0x35"
    ATTRS{d3cold_allowed}=="1"

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00':
    KERNELS=="pci0000:00"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""
    ATTRS{waiting_for_supplier}=="0"
    NOTE: that the ID vendor and product is unique to the USB to serial device. If you have two of the same USB to Serial devices you would use the serial number of the device or some other alpha numeric ID for the product connected.

2 - create a new UDEV rule like so:

nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usb-serial.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="067b", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2303", MODE="0777", SYMLINK+="ttyUSBX10"

You can have two lines there. Each line should have a unique idVendor and idProduct and a unique name like maybe: ttyZWave or ttyDConZ maybe.

3 - type

udevadm control --reload-rules

4 - type ls /dev/tty* and this is what I see on one of my HS 4 boxes.

Code:
    ls /dev/tty*
    /dev/tty /dev/tty17 /dev/tty26 /dev/tty35 /dev/tty44 /dev/tty53 /dev/tty62 /dev/ttyS12 /dev/ttyS21 /dev/ttyS30
    /dev/tty0 /dev/tty18 /dev/tty27 /dev/tty36 /dev/tty45 /dev/tty54 /dev/tty63 /dev/ttyS13 /dev/ttyS22 /dev/ttyS31
    /dev/tty1 /dev/tty19 /dev/tty28 /dev/tty37 /dev/tty46 /dev/tty55 /dev/tty7 /dev/ttyS14 /dev/ttyS23 /dev/ttyS4
    /dev/tty10 /dev/tty2 /dev/tty29 /dev/tty38 /dev/tty47 /dev/tty56 /dev/tty8 /dev/ttyS15 /dev/ttyS24 /dev/ttyS5
    /dev/tty11 /dev/tty20 /dev/tty3 /dev/tty39 /dev/tty48 /dev/tty57 /dev/tty9 /dev/ttyS16 /dev/ttyS25 /dev/ttyS6
    /dev/tty12 /dev/tty21 /dev/tty30 /dev/tty4 /dev/tty49 /dev/tty58 /dev/ttyprintk /dev/ttyS17 /dev/ttyS26 /dev/ttyS7
    /dev/tty13 /dev/tty22 /dev/tty31 /dev/tty40 /dev/tty5 /dev/tty59 /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS18 /dev/ttyS27 /dev/ttyS8
    /dev/tty14 /dev/tty23 /dev/tty32 /dev/tty41 /dev/tty50 /dev/tty6 /dev/ttyS1 /dev/ttyS19 /dev/ttyS28 /dev/ttyS9
    /dev/tty15 /dev/tty24 /dev/tty33 /dev/tty42 /dev/tty51 /dev/tty60 /dev/ttyS10 /dev/ttyS2 /dev/ttyS29 /dev/ttyUSB0
    /dev/tty16 /dev/tty25 /dev/tty34 /dev/tty43 /dev/tty52 /dev/tty61 /dev/ttyS11 /dev/ttyS20 /dev/ttyS3 /dev/ttyUSBX10
    5 - now reboot the server

reboot

6 - HS3 will run and configure the drop down for each plugin for one of the static names you have configured.

This way the two will never change names and be statically assigned.

Leave a comment:

• pc__hs
    replied
    Hi Pete, Bruce,

Well, got the gigabyte, replaced the hard drive, spent have an hour figuring out which was the bios key on boot (hint, it doesn't begin with F). Tinkered there for a bit, and I now have a smoothly running HS3.

Looks like I'll be getting a tiny and copying the HS3 folder onto it. Just plug in the zwave and deconz dongles and should all work? And then the upgrade to HS4. Is that the correct order?

Either way, thank you both for your help/ideas.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• dbvanb
    replied
    Hi Pete,
    Like Pete, I think a hard drive based installation is better than an SD card one, which is why I tried the SEL (gigabyte). I was trying to set up hs4 on one as well, before it died (second gigabyte). I had the rock64, set up hs3 on it when the first SEL died, using that license. Because the rock64 is running fine, doing all that i need, and life is busy. I haven't pursued it any farther. Beside, it would mean buying another computer, which currently is not in the plans. I did have the raspberry pi based ztroller first which had some issues as well, (got overloaded) which was also a reason I was trying the SEL. All to say, you can set something up on one of your pi computers, to get your house up and running, then take time to do a hard drive based setup. But that's for tinkering I guess.
    if you can take some time to get it set up the way you want.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    My only question is whether the Tiny has auto-reboot after power outage.

You set this feature in the BIOS

Install a clean HS4, then copy the folder from the Brix. Anyone better than the other?

Yes. I don't bother installing new. Just the copy works for me.

Will all devices transfer automagically?

Yes.

I do this all of the time with my HS3/HS4 boxes. I am currently updating HS4 computer. Just backing up HS4 and restoring.

Leave a comment:

• pc__hs
    replied
    My only question is whether the Tiny has auto-reboot after power outage.

Besides that, here goes the next :: my gigabyte Brix has HS3 installed. If I buy the Tiny and install Ubuntu, Mono, then I have two options: 1) copy the HS3 folder to the tiny, then upgrade to HS4, or 2) Install a clean HS4, then copy the folder from the Brix. Anyone better than the other? Will all devices transfer automagically?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    The Lenova M900 Tiny is a standard Intel mini desktop. For transfer of Homeseer it would be just an install of Ubuntu or any flavor of Linux, Mono and copying over your HS4 installation. It is very robust. Over the last year here switching over to the Lenova Tiny computers...(Lenova Tiny M93A and M900). I have around 10 on line now.

My personal preference is due to using a mSata or ssd drive rather than SD card to run Homeseer.

You can purchase the M93Tiny's for around $60 USD which typically come with a 500Gb Sata drive, 8Gb of RAM, power supply et al. and a M900 for around $90 USD. Many Homeseer users have purchased these.

Leave a comment:

• pc__hs
    replied
    Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply - yes, I've been thinking about moving over to RPi but I'm not very techie and never know what sort of trouble I'm going to run into. Or whether I will have to re-add each and every device, light bulb, sensor and so on to the new device. That might be a fun exercise for some, but I dread the idea.

I do have a couple of raspberry pi's which have never complained with a power outage, which I get from time to time. The Gigabyte SEL, on the other hand, doesn't do well with outages.

Given that every technology is bound to fail at some point, I'd say the raspberry pi with its sd card problem would be the easiest to replace?

The M900 looks tempting too. Again, for me the fear factor is transferring what I have to the new environment. More than 30 years working side by side with technology and I never met smooth sailing.

Thanks to both.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    I googled the model Gigabyte and did see a few folks complaining about it bricking itself after a couple of years.

Yes; here have house two running on a Pine64 and have tested HS3-4 on a TVBox S912 Octocore CPU to run fine with Armbian Linux.

The above said been switching over to Intel CPUs and now shrinking footprint to using Lenova Tiny computers. Very reasonably priced these days. Moving my Homeseer 4 box to a Lenova Tiny M900. This box will be running Homeseer 4, Home Assistant, Cumulus MX. Oracle VBs for HA and W7 (for SAPI speech).

Last M900 purchased for less than $100. Base is Ubuntu 22.04.

Leave a comment:

• dbvanb
    replied
    Hi Pete
    I have had some not so good experiences with the gigabyte SEL. I have two of them, now both bricked or simply dead.
    One I bought from HomeSeer as a refurbished and after a short time (a few days) it would crash. Reboot and it would be ok for a few days.
    I thought it was the power supply, and bought a new wall wart, but same story. Then purchased a used gigabyte Brix same model, and transferred the
    hard drive. Again ok for longer, still needing to reboot after crashing or simply shutting itself down. But one day it did what yours did, died completely.
    Won't boot to the bios, get the message of connect cable on the monitor. I gave up. I now have a Rock64 SBC (like a raspberry pi), loaded HS3 on it.
    (before hs4, and haven't upgraded to hs4 yet, even though I have a license for hs4)
    I personally would get another small format computer, like the Raspberry pi or Rock64, or something else and start over, ie transferring your HS directory
    to the new computer, and not worry about it.
    But I wish you the best with the new one you bought.

PS - one problem with the Raspberry pi or Rock 64 is you can only connect a hard drive by USB, Otherwise it is SD card based (which can have its own problems)

Good Luck
    Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Yes it will be automatically (automagically )recognized and will boot just fine. That said before using it try plugging in the new power supply to your old computer. It might work anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• pc__hs
    replied
    Paid 50 pounds (UK) for it. Worth the try.

you tell me just swapping the drives will magically work. Back in the 90s we called this automagically.

thanks for your help!

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Good news Pete!! Curious how much you paid for it?

You should be fine just swapping out the HDD/SSD drive. While it is out purchase a USB to SATA cable and back up the drive to your NAS.

Researching CMOS pins on the Brix do not see any. So you have already disconnected the battery so that should also reset the BIOS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gigabyte-brix-disconnect-battery.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1574446

Leave a comment:

• pc__hs
    replied
    So I bought one here in the UK. Cross fingers.

On the manual, I couldn't find the cmos jumper you mentioned. What am I looking for?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Yes the monitor asking "check connection cable" means that there is no video output on the computer.

So checked are:

1 - power supply - OK
    2 - hard drive - OK
    3 - computer / motherboard doesn't post - not OK

You mentioned changing the CMOS battery. Did you jumper to reset the BIOS when changing the battery? Usually just removing the battery resets the bios but its good to jumper it, power it up, then move the jumper back in place and power it up again. You have to refer to the motherboard manual for the location of the little cmos jumper.

What MFG / Model number is your computer. Thinking Homeseer was using Gigabyte?

Guessing that it is a GIGABYTE BRIX GB-BXBT-2807.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBare...2807-rev-10#ov

Manual is here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBare...support-manual

Here is a used one. Offer seller $50 USD for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12552260104...Bk9SR5bjoOaJYQ

Then just pop in your HDD to the used Brix and you should be good to go.

Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXBT-2807 seems completely bricked after powering off

Leave a comment:

• pc__hs
    replied
    Hi. Thanks again. Still black screen. Monitor still asking to "check connection cable". Seems the power supply unit still delivers 12v.

more ideas?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X