Should I upgrade to 700 series Z-Wave Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I upgrade to 700 series Z-Wave Stick

Everywhere I look I see 700 Series Z-Wave devices. I know they work with my Z-Wave & Zigbee Stick (Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 3.0.9.0) but I was wondering if I am getting all the benefits from those new 700 series devices with my older stick. Thre are a few older discussions on 700 series, but I'm not seeing much else.

Is there any benefit to purchasing a new 700 Series Z-Wave USB Stick? If there is, any feedback on the ones out there?​

If your existing setup is working well, why change it? If it ain't broke...

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
      If your existing setup is working well, why change it? If it ain't broke...
      Yeah, I kind of understand and agree with what you are saying. But then again, in the late 70's my 67 Mustang ran great but that did not stop me from putting a Holley Double pumper and new headers on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post
        Everywhere I look I see 700 Series Z-Wave devices. I know they work with my Z-Wave & Zigbee Stick (Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 3.0.9.0) but I was wondering if I am getting all the benefits from those new 700 series devices with my older stick. Thre are a few older discussions on 700 series, but I'm not seeing much else.

Is there any benefit to purchasing a new 700 Series Z-Wave USB Stick? ​
        No.
        If you search these forums you will see numerous issues with the Gen3 (700 series) Z-wave stick that HST offers. These issues were no fault of HST and affected other manufacturers also because everyone's 700-series controller is based on the same reference design from Silicon Labs. There is finally a firmware upgrade that supposedly solves some problems.

Rich has stated that 800-series controllers are already in the pipeline and will be available within the next several months. The advantage of the 800-series controllers is that they will natively support Z-Wave Long Range, which allows more of a hub-and-spoke network architecture versus the current Z-wave mesh.

One thing to also consider is that just updating to a new controller doesn't buy you a lot unless the endpoints are also updated.

Here's a good place to start some reading:
        Z-Wave 500 vs. 700 vs. 800 – Why Use the New 800 Series for Smart Home Devices (silabs.com)

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

No.
          If you search these forums you will see numerous issues with the Gen3 (700 series) Z-wave stick that HST offers. These issues were no fault of HST and affected other manufacturers also because everyone's 700-series controller is based on the same reference design from Silicon Labs. There is finally a firmware upgrade that supposedly solves some problems.

Rich has stated that 800-series controllers are already in the pipeline and will be available within the next several months. The advantage of the 800-series controllers is that they will natively support Z-Wave Long Range, which allows more of a hub-and-spoke network architecture versus the current Z-wave mesh.

One thing to also consider is that just updating to a new controller doesn't buy you a lot unless the endpoints are also updated.

Here's a good place to start some reading:
          Z-Wave 500 vs. 700 vs. 800 – Why Use the New 800 Series for Smart Home Devices (silabs.com)
          Very interesting reading. I'll wait for the 800 series

Comment

Thanks TC1. A lot of very good info! I'm glad I decided to ask instead of just making the change to the 700 series.

I see a lot of benefits for the 800 series; Distance and current draw are a few, but the increase in the temperature range will also be of interest for those who want to have devices in attics. Lets hope it has a smoother rollout then it appears the 700 series had.

Comment

Working...
            X