Door sensor hack to show if the door is locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door sensor hack to show if the door is locked

Thought I would share this as it has been bugging me for some time. I had a bunch of Neo Coolcam sensors which work and integrate fine but only tell you if a door is closed and i couldn't see anything anywhere that would confirm if the door was locked, in particular if a mortice lock was closed.

The device uses a small reed sensor which is activated when a magnet is brought close. I didn't want to desolder the sensor or ruin the device but there enough of a gap between the switch and the solder to simply hook some stripped cat6 solid core cable through the joint. All the devices seem to have the same gap so no risk of damaging the units if it doesn't work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	device.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1575854
    At the other end I simply solders the two wires to a reed switch effectively extending that circuit to a larger loop so that the trigger point does not need to be near the zwave device.

Name:	20221113_161737.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1575855

I put a couple of small holes in the door and fed the wires through and the

Name:	20221113_162421 - Copy.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1575856

A couple of tiny neodymium magnets are enough to trigger the sensor

Name:	20221115_152026 - Copy.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1575857
    I trimmed the wires down to a better length and have the sensor on the garage door.

Name:	20221115_152037 - Copy.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1575858

Yes looks a bit ugly but it does work well.

Here's the front door where needed to look a bit better

Name:	20221115_152102 - Copy.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1575861

Name:	20221115_152106 - Copy.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1575859

Name:	20221115_152113 - Copy.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1575860

Now i want to play with events so that I can trigger alexa to let me know if any of the doors are unlocked.

Hope you find this useful/interesting.
    Attached Files

Very cool!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I just use the Zwave Door Sensor Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor they work great. Also I have a couple old Mono-Priced ones that work fine as well. They are a little pricey now (mine have been installed for years now) but I'm sure if you look around they will probably be on sale somewhere. Cool idea and project though!

‚Äč

Comment

The idea started due to a friend having a metal door that seemed to block the zwave signal. Extending the reed switch circuit allows the zwave transceiver to be better placed. I always found Aeotec door sensors to be way overpriced in the UK for what they do. I'm assuming this approach would work with any brand sensor where you have access to the switch. I had a deal where i picked up the neo coolcam sensors for a tenner each on ebay.

Comment

I agree the Aeotec door sensors are way overpriced now. Like I said mine have been in for years and if I remember correctly I paid <$15 each for mine and $10 a piece for the Mono-Priced ones (back in the day). I have a couple of exterior doors that are metal so I installed the magnet in the door and put the sensor above the door (facing down) and they work fine. I think once I got past the metal frame for the door the header was wood and the signal passes fine through there. I think there are a few other applications using your idea that can be incorporated so good work there!

Comment

Working...
          X