Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Govee Plugin - Is anyone having success with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Govee Plugin - Is anyone having success with it?

Is anyone having success with the Govee Plugin? I've have tried it and experienced issues (where it appears it may be polling the Govee servers too frequently thereby getting denied access...also creates a lot of log entries). The author (DRule) has indicated he has no plans to develop it further (moving on to Home Assistant). I have a few Govee devices that I would like to control via HS4 events. So, I'm wondering if anyone has got this working well.

Date/time=11/17/2022 8:13:24 AM CST
    Version=HomeSeer HS4 ZEE S2 (Upg from HS3ZS2) Edition 4.2.16.0 (Linux)
    MONO Version=Mono JIT compiler version 6.10.0.104 (tarball Fri Jun 26 19:59:14 UTC 2020)

License=Registered
    Confguration File=/usr/local/HomeSeer/Data/HomeSeerData.json
    Uptime=3 Days 1 Hour 27 Minutes 20 Seconds
    Lan IP=192.168.1.146 (HTPiHubG1)
    Device Count=288
    Event Count=123
    Plugins Enabled=Z-Wave:,LIFX:,SDJ-Health:,Tuya:,HS MyQ:
    Modules/Threads=83 Modules, 51 Threads
    Available Threads=399
    HomeSeer Memory Used=153 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed=Govee Plugin 4.0.0.0,HS MyQ 4.0.9.0,LIFX 4.0.7.0,SDJ-Health 3.1.0.10,Tuya 4.0.37.0,Z-Wave 3.0.2.4,Z-Wave GUI 0.3.0.0
    Disk Size=29.72GB​

I tried and could not get it to work (Windows HS4).
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Since Govee and Homeseer support IFTTT, I'm considering that as an option. Have you (or anyone else) gone down that path with any success? I've avoided using IFTTT where possible to avoid having yet another service between me and the device.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMiller View Post
        Since Govee and Homeseer support IFTTT, I'm considering that as an option. Have you (or anyone else) gone down that path with any success? I've avoided using IFTTT where possible to avoid having yet another service between me and the device.
        After you mentioned IFTTT, I looked to set up a routine with IFTTT. However, the options are very limited. What Govee devices are you trying to control? I have their floods and their rope LED's. What I have found is that after programming the lights with their remote, they retain that program, even when AC power is cut. So, what I have been doing is using Z-Wave modules to turn the lights on and off, after I have set the colors and/or the animations.
        "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Richel I have two Govee devices: (1) TV Bias Lighting Kit (LED Strip with camera) and (2) LED Light Strip. In both cases, my primary use case is just to be able to turn them on/off.

Comment

Richel I have two Govee devices: (1) TV Bias Lighting Kit (LED Strip with camera) and (2) LED Light Strip. In both cases, my primary use case is just to be able to turn them on/off.
            Thanks. Then plug each into an on/off smart plug with your choice of technology (e.g., Z-wave, Zigbee, etc) that can be integrated into HomeSeer. This is what is working fine for me.

Comment

Unfortunately, the TV Bias lights do not seem to retain their programming after the power is cut. When the power is restored, they will come back on, but not in the mode where they respond to what's on the screen. I have to connect to the device (via bluetooth) to get it to work correctly. I can control them via Alexa, but I'd really like them to be able to turn them on/off with the other lights in the room via a HS4 event. I do have a Smartthings hub that I believe supports these Govee strips. So, maybe I'll try installing the HS4->Smarthings plugin and see if I can trigger them that way. (sigh). This shouldn't be so hard (and wouldn't be if the HS4 Plugin would work).

Comment

With this plug-in ON I'm getting a message in another GOVEE API app that the API is being called over 10000 times in 24 hours. Going over that limit kills ALL apps that use the API for your key. Thus, my Stream Deck app no longer functions with this running. So, my best guess is that each GOVEE object created by this plug-in is polling the API for the state of the device every second. That would explain why this is happening.

The developer of this plug-in switched to a new platform and is not maintaining it. In another post he said he couldn't upload any of the changes he did make to the plug-in, so there will be no fixes. Looks like a new developer would need to write a new GOVEE plug-in. One that doesn't poll over 100000 times a day. This plug-in should probably be removed in its current state.

The plug-in I use for my Stream Deck only sends commands out. ON. OFF. TOGGLE. COLOR CHANGE. BRIGHTNESS CHANGE. Etc... Same with IFTTT. They don't do continuous polling. I assume continuous polling needs direct access to the device instead of going through the API. Or polling just needs to be implemented differently in the plug-in so it doesn't make continuous API calls? Perhaps someone who has time and knowledge could ask for the code and try to fix it.

I have not tried it, but as it works at this time, maybe if you set each device to poll [NUM_OF_DEVICES] X [10 seconds] it might allow you to change states over a day without using up your API call limit, it would just be really, really slow updating the state of each device...

Anyway, just sharing what I noticed. I'm disabling it for now.

Comment

Dang, I thought I was the only one. This plugin is useless.

Comment

FWIW: I ended up using IFTT to control the Govee light strip from HS4. Note: The HS4 IFTT plugin did not work well or consistently. So, I ended up having to use Webhooks (which has been working just fine). I would still like to see a HS offer a working plugin since these Govee devices are starting to become more popular.

Comment

FWIW: I ended up using IFTT to control the Govee light strip from HS4. Note: The HS4 IFTT plugin did not work well or consistently. So, I ended up having to use Webhooks (which has been working just fine). I would still like to see a HS offer a working plugin since these Govee devices are starting to become more popular.
                      How did you accomplish this?

Comment

Just upgraded to HS4 and installed the govee plugin. Initially had the "to many requests" error, but was still running the default 10000ms polling. I updated that to 60000ms and it seems to have helped, but was still seeing the error occasionally. I have 4 devices each with 5 child devices for a total of 20 requests to the API every 60 seconds. I also have one light offline and I'm getting repeats trying to get it updated which further increases the number of calls per minute. I'm going to try 90000ms to see if that works better as well as get the offline light back online.

I'm going to have to rewrite my events for these lights to check if any lights are offline first before trying to send a command to them.

Comment

Working...
                        X