Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation For Dimmable LED Bulbs (Not Smart Bulbs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation For Dimmable LED Bulbs (Not Smart Bulbs)

I'm looking for recommendations for high-quality, dimmable LED bulbs. I have a fixture that uses 6x E26 9W LED bulbs. I currently have Feit Electric bulbs in that fixture and I've had problems with them. About a month after installing those bulbs I had to replace the Leviton dimmer (LED compatible) for that fixture. Now, one of the bulbs is significantly dimmer than the other bulbs at the same setting. I'm replacing the wall dimmer with a Zooz Z-Wave dimmer and I noticed they recommend NOT to use Feit bulbs.

What dimmable LED bulbs are others using?
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

The good news is that dimmers like the ZooZ ZEN77 (my current go-to z-wave dimmer based on my bench testing) are very well-designed dimmers and work with a wide variety of LED bulbs on the market.

Yes, Feit bulbs are cheap for a reason and hence widely available in big box stores. They work well with old rotary style dimmers that many folks might have in their home but are hit-or-miss with MOSFET-based dimmers (which is what many smart dimmers are based on).

This is my go-to site for high quality LEDs (the caveat is that I have not bought anything recently so I can't make a specific recommendation):
    136 results | 1000Bulbs.com

It's a great site that allows one to zero in on the exact features they are looking for (for me it's always a high CRI) and plenty of reviews to read through.

Comment

Thanks TC1. I'll check out that site. The ZEN77 is my dimmer of choice as well and it's what I'll be using for this fixture.
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Feit Electric bulbs have always been awful, dating all the way back to the incandescent days. Their CFL bulbs lasted less time than incandescent equivalents, and their LEDs are just as bad. I don't know how one company can so consistently (willfully?) manufacture such terrible products.

Aside from them, other brands vary in longevity. Philips used to be the best, but they left the market. GE Lighting is still great. Even Amazon Basics bulbs work fine.

For ceiling can retrofits, These have been the best combination of value and reliability:
        amazon.com/Sunco-Lighting-Downlight-Selectable-Installation/dp/B096HB8NZX?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Comment

As Ken said, he's looking specifically for E26 base bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
            As Ken said, he's looking specifically for E26 base bulbs.
            I know that. All of the bulbs I mentioned are E26. I just threw in the can lights in case anyone is interested, since these work very well, compared to many other brands.

And, BTW, even the can lights have E26 bases.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post

I know that. All of the bulbs I mentioned are E26. I just threw in the can lights in case anyone is interested, since these work very well, compared to many other brands.

And, BTW, even the can lights have E26 bases.
              Right... but they won't fit into a normal fixture.
              I have a fixture that uses 6x E26 9W LED bulbs.
              Which usually implies an A19 shape. But hey, I could be wrong, just ask my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Right... but they won't fit into a normal fixture.

Which usually implies an A19 shape. But hey, I could be wrong, just ask my wife.
                Come on; why don't you Google it first? Yes, I'm with your wife.

See, for example: https://blog.lightingsupply.com/blog...the-difference

Comment

I use UPB lighting throughout the house (powerline signalling) and find some LED bulbs put significant noise onto the powerline. FEIT bulbs are the worst.
                  tenholde

Comment

Soraa makes very nice LED. They are not cheap, but they dim well with any dimmer I've used, have no "partial on" problem, and have high CRI.

Comment

Here have kept upgrading E26 clear LED dimmable bulbs over the years purchasing them from Amazon. Mostly UPB switches with programmed 30% dim modes.

In general they are better quality today than a few years ago. Light bulbs would start to dim after a time and today they do not. Recently went to dimmable Edison bulbs for dining room over table lamp and chandelier. Using Philips dimmable outside LED bulbs for mostly glass coach lamps. These have lasted 5 plus years now with no issues. The Philips are the only "named" brand that I am using. Rest are whatever Amazon has to offer.

I am changing LED light bulbs at a much faster rate than the old incandescent lamps that lasted for years these days.

I have recently replaced kitchen can lamps and hallway lamps with flat 3 color (3k, 4k and 5k) dimmable LED lamps that look like cans. I am impressed with them so far. These came with multiple purpose mounting hardware.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMatthews View Post
                        Soraa makes very nice LED. They are not cheap, but they dim well with any dimmer I've used, have no "partial on" problem, and have high CRI.
                        Yep, Soraa's are often highly rated, not the cheapest, because they are targeted at the commercial market where reliability and high CRI are essential (retail displays). Quality sometimes cost higher $.

Comment

Thanks All. Apologies for the missing info that caused some confusion. Yes, I'm looking for A19 shape and E26 base. Thanks SteveW for the helpful link. I did not know there was a difference. Thanks MikeMatthews for the recommendation of Soraa. Off to start reading some reviews.

Comment

Working...
                          X