industrial/automotive temperature ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

industrial/automotive temperature ratings

I can't find z-wave devices that operate at low temperature (northern Minnesota). Does someone market industrial level devices? Thank you. (garage door sensor; repeater; other remote outdoor sensors)

And any sort of wireless application that would be affordable is going to be battery powered which mixed with extreme cold will eventually destroy the device, although if you can keep them dry and out of the direct weather may do better than you think. It might be better to explain what you are trying to accomplish exactly so some others here can make recommendations on appropriate options , or plan on having a supply of spare batteries and sensors.

Comment

I doubt you'll find any Z-Wave devices that are rated for industrial use. Wireless mixed with battery powered isn't generally things you find in industrial applications. My thought would be to use wired sensors and route them to a DAQ controller that is located in a warmer environment. 1-wire sensors and hall-effect switches would work well for this. The controller could use WiFi and MQTT to communicate with HomeSeer.
      Last edited by kenm; December 8, 2022, 10:39 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I suspect the sensors themselves aren't the issue..., more likely it's a power problem from the cold. You're best bet is a wired power supply for them. Barring that, some sort of heavy duty battery setup that you can tie the sensor to. If you have to run wires though then the previous suggestion is reasonable as you can keep nearly everything out of the environment to protect it as well as having a reliable power supply. It also consolidates the sensor electronics into one area.
        Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I have a garage door opener that works at -20F ... even lower. It's got a 9v battery and lasted 3 years. I have a car loaded with electronics which starts right up and lets me play a radio at -20. I have no idea what is inherent in these z wave devices that is adverse to cold, but it seems the opinion is that this technology is no go.
          I can always change batteries but I'm not inclined to schedule device replacement. To wires! and the rodents be dammed! (I will loose.)
          Thanks for the input. You save me some $$$

Comment

I am in north central MN also and my experience has been that the cold and the consumer level home automation electronics don't mix well. Anything I have tried outside seems to make it 2, maybe 3 years at most before the cold takes it out. Things that have been in an unheated building have had no failures.

Comment

Working...
            X