Learning non-X10 wireless RF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning non-X10 wireless RF

I would like to automate my house but I need to control a couple devices that do not plug into the wall, nor are they x10 devices. Is there a way to have HomeSeer learn the RF codes for these devices to control them as well?

RF Device Control

Good luck with this. I have been looking for this for a looong time. I hope someone chimes in.

'Night

Comment

More info

Just to provide more info, I'm trying to control a hobby RF receiver operating in a receiving frequency of 310MHz.

Thanks.

Comment

I believe the W800 USA model can listen at this frequency. If yoiur hobby device conforms to NEC protocol then the homeseer plugin may be able to do something with it. You could also do your own interface software to the W800 but that is a bigger job.

Your real problem will be on the transmit side for non-X10 transmissons. The CM17A (firecracker) has low level control with two discrete lines from the serial port with timing of signals controlled by the PC. If I recall, however, you are still limited to what you can send with it and you will again be on your own for software to drive it. There are likely other RF transmitters and they may provide the control you need. No homeseer software to support these to my knowledge.

Comment

Have a look at Dave Houston's web page at http://www.mbx-usa.com. At the top of the page, there are articles about learning RF pulses as IR commands, and how to send them back out through various devices. This is far more elegant than using output relays from a SECU16 or a homebrew relay board through the parallel port to electonically "push" the buttons on your RF remote. Over at the Applied Digital forums, there is a thread (http://www.appdigsupport.com/cgi-bin...c;f=3;t=000188) about using the IR output of an Ocelot to control an RF-based ceiling fan control. I'm about halfway through this project myself. All of these solutions require some hardware hacking, though.

Comment

Receiver is a learning device

The RF receiver that controls the motor is a learning receiver. Since it is potentially compliant, can it learn the code that HomeSeer sends out?

Comment

Just use an X10 palmpad or any X10 device that sends RF and see if you device will learn the code.

Comment

Z-wave option

More importantly, I"d like to use a Z Wave setup so I can use HomeSeer software. I get the impression that you use device remote controls to teach the USB interface. If so, I can use the remote control that now controls my receiver to teach the USB interface the right code. This is assuming that the frequency is supported by Z-Wave. Anyone know?

Comment

Remote control button pushing via the parallel port isn't elegant until you consider you might can do it for only $10-15 in parts to modify the remote. An Ocelot is going to cost you $150-180 just to get started, with still more stuff to buy.
                  Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by jparenteau
                    I get the impression that you use device remote controls to teach the USB interface. If so, I can use the remote control that now controls my receiver to teach the USB interface the right code.
                    The mechanisms are not the same. What you need is an interface that 'memorizes' the RF sequence that is required, and then plays it back on demand, much like an IR interface. What the ZWave-USB interface does is quite different.

Both the ZWave remote and the ZWave-USB interface use the ZWave communications protocol, which is not really like a regular remote. It is more like Ethernet. The ZWave remote determines what the network topology is, and this is what is 'learned' by the USB interface. The remote simply passes the network routing information to the USB interface.

Comment

Working...
                    X