Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeseer Equivalent to SmartThings Rental Lock Automator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer Equivalent to SmartThings Rental Lock Automator?

Hi there,

I am relatively new to the home automation space, and need a semi cloud-based home automation system to use across a portfolio of 20 vacation rentals. I have narrowed down my decision to four platforms:
    1. HomSeer
    2. SmartThings + RBoy Apps
    3. Nabu Casa (built by the founders of Home Assistant)
    4. Point Central (used by a large vacation rental company I know of)
    I am leaning toward Homeseer, but am having a very difficult time determining whether the HS4 platform has the same remote smart-lock automation capabilities of the RBoys Rental Lock Automator. I will be using the Yale Assure Z-Wave lock on every common area door in my portfolio (~40 locks total), and need seamless connectivity and integration with a rental lock automator that uses APIs to sync with my rental & turnover calendar.

Do any HomeSeer experts know if this level of automation can be achieved with the HomeSeer platform?

Thanks!

I would recommend you download a trial version of HomeSeer to review it. The events engine allows a user to set actions for devices such as you have described, so taking it for a spin would give you an idea if HomeSeer is what your looking for.

We also have myHS and the mobile app for remote access to the system/systems you deploy.

Once you have HomeSeer running you can ask more detailed questions about your goals to dial it in.
    Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by PA_Griffith View Post
      Hi there,

I am relatively new to the home automation space, and need a semi cloud-based home automation system to use across a portfolio of 20 vacation rentals. I have narrowed down my decision to four platforms:
      If your purpose is solely rental property lock management, you may be better off with one of the other options that (appear to me at a glance) provide ready-to-use, purpose-built functionality. Homeseer is a remarkably powerful and flexible, technology-agnostic platform that is capable of home automation from simple to exceptionally complex, but that comes at the price of much of the logic often having to be created by the user. There is an array of very good plugins that add capabilities, but I'm not aware of any aimed at rental / airbnb type lock management.

Now for the flip-side. If the other options don't do quite what you'd like, and you're looking for a flexible platform that can be made to do pretty much anything (via GUI-driven "events", scripting, connection to 3rd party automation platforms, etc.), and want the option of cloud-based or strictly local operation or a hybrid, and you have time and wherewithal to build it yourself, then IMO you won't do better than HomeSeer.
      -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
        If your purpose is solely rental property lock management, you may be better off with one of the other options that (appear to me at a glance) provide ready-to-use, purpose-built functionality. Homeseer is a remarkably powerful and flexible, technology-agnostic platform that is capable of home automation from simple to exceptionally complex, but that comes at the price of much of the logic often having to be created by the user. There is an array of very good plugins that add capabilities, but I'm not aware of any aimed at rental / airbnb type lock management.

Now for the flip-side. If the other options don't do quite what you'd like, and you're looking for a flexible platform that can be made to do pretty much anything (via GUI-driven "events", scripting, connection to 3rd party automation platforms, etc.), and want the option of cloud-based or strictly local operation or a hybrid, and you have time and wherewithal to build it yourself, then IMO you won't do better than HomeSeer.
        Wade and Sgt. Shultz-- I really appreciate both of your thoughtful and detailed responses. This rental business is my full-time job (and growing), so I am open to investing time and effort into building a more 'bespoke' platform if it will make for smoother operations and cost savings in the long-term. Right now my purpose is solely lock management, but in the medium-term that will expand into the following 'smart device' categories: thermostats, water sensors & shut-offs, smoke detectors, security cameras, noise monitors, and security systems.

On that note, one more topic that I'm fuzzy on is how well HomeSeer would work out of the box with multiple homes. Without building a bespoke/third-party interface, would it be reasonable to expect that I could manage all of these devices for 20+ homes via HomeSeer?

Comment

It sounds like you have a short-term "needed" and long-term "wanted" functionality. I'd recommend putting a complete (as possible) list together so you can make a pro/con comparison. In all cases, you'll need some type of a physical controller at each home with an internet connection for each. To do anything with HomeSeer but access/manage each installation one at a time (through MyHS), you'll need some custom programming. If you pick a platform that is purpose built, you'll be limited to what they offer and also likely tied to monthly service/monitoring fees.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
          X