Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to make dumb blinds smart

or semi-smart at least.

My mother still uses the old Add-a-Motor blind motors.
    If anyone isn't familiar, they're just s toggled motor. They go one way until it hits an end stop.
    This then toggles the motor so the next time you activate it, it goes the opposite way to the other end stop and repeats.
    I do this with a zwave appliance module. I have it turn on, wait a set time, then turn off.
    She uses them on a vertical blind, so two appl mods, and 2 motors. One for twist and one for traverse.

The problem comes in when she accidentally tries to traverse them without twisting first.
    Not good for the blind! So I need to come up with a way to NOT traverse unless they've been twisted first.

Just to add, I can't get her to buy new motors that are smarter since "these still work fine.".

My initial thought is to use a virtual device to keep track of the twist.
    Have it turn on when the twist is open, and off when closed. Don't allow traverse if the VD is off.
    Obviously this depends on it staying in sync and can be 'confused' relatively easily. But can work.

Any ideas?​

You could create a virtual switch. When twist opens have the virtual switch set to on. When twist closes have the virtual set to off. Create a Event to traverse the blinds. In the Event have it check the virtual switch. If it's on then traverse otherwise if the virtual switch is off do nothing.

Jim

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly what I said in the original post.
      The problem with it is, there's no way to know if the twist opens or closes. It just activates for both directions.
      I wanted to have it toggle the state of the VD but there is no toggle command, just on/off.
      I don't want to use scripting so I'm looking for another way.

Comment

Is there a possibility of putting a wireless sensor like a small Z-Wave window or door sensor on the blinds to alert HS to their status?
        Dan-O
        HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

How about a small step motor joined to the twist bar? Then it knows where it is and what direction it's rotating. They also make kits that are designed to go inside the frame but they are a bit of money.
          Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Working...
          X