Sonoff NSPanel Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonoff NSPanel Pro

This is a new thread continued from a post on Tuya touchscreens.

Sonoff has a new Android based NSPanel dubbed the "Pro". Looks like it has a lot of possibilities for hacking and possibly use with HomeSeer.

https://sonoff.tech/product-review/p...-home-control/

Since this is not ESP based it cannot be re-flashed with Tasmota. However, it is ARM based running Android 8.1, which seems to make it fairly open to hacking.

I'm not sure why it has a Zigbee 3.0 controller and it's WiFi 2.4Ghz only and it's mains AC powered (no Ethernet and therefore no PoE).

But, for $90 it seems worth a play.

"if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Thank you @kenm.

It is a Sonoff (Itead) touchscreen controller rather than a controllable WiFi device using the cloud. ITead sells Zigbee ESP based devices. As the OS is Android based it will work fine as a HSTouch or Home Assistant interface. Side Note: Personally rooted the Wink device and it worked fine except that it was too slow for me.

Ordered the Sonoff Panel Pro and will detail my steps here on what I do with it.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Call me a scrooge, but this device is basically a solution looking for a problem... the only thing it really solves is that it can be retrofitted into a European style electrical wall box.

For less money one can pick up a Fire/Android tablet and use either HSTouch or Jon00's web interface for HS.

Comment

Personally here it is a return to using an Arm based Android console from my working for years Intel based Windows tabletop touchscreens (15).

Just to tinker and write about my tinkering here on the forum.

That said Merry Christmas to you TC1 and best Holiday wishes to you and your family.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
          Call me a scrooge, but this device is basically a solution looking for a problem... the only thing it really solves is that it can be retrofitted into a European style electrical wall box.

For less money one can pick up a Fire/Android tablet and use either HSTouch or Jon00's web interface for HS.
          I hear what you're saying but as my wife tells me, I have more money than sense. There's a couple of places where a tablet just wouldn't fit but this device would. I don't have a lot of spare time for hacking these days so I'm hoping Pete will figure out the recipe and I'll just copy it.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

I hear what you're saying but as my wife tells me, I have more money than sense. There's a couple of places where a tablet just wouldn't fit but this device would. I don't have a lot of spare time for hacking these days so I'm hoping Pete will figure out the recipe and I'll just copy it.
            Yeah, I hear ya, in terms of being able to place a device easily on the wall without having to cut new holes. If they made a North America specific model that could fit say single or double gang electrical box with a mounting plate then this thing becomes *very* interesting in terms of easy retrofits for a wall mounted home automation screen. Basically a much more inexpensive version than these things: Brilliant Home Control (1-switch control)

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Personally here it is a return to using an Arm based Android console from my working for years Intel based Windows tabletop touchscreens (15).

Just to tinker and write about my tinkering here on the forum.

That said Merry Christmas to you TC1 and best Holiday wishes to you and your family.
              Same to you Pete! I'm envious that you have the time to tinker with all this stuff, I actually started my career as a hardware electrical engineer and in my younger days I was taking apart, dissecting, and modding devices everyday. When I'm finally retired I'll get back to my hacking and modding roots

Comment

Found this article: https://blakadder.com/nspanel-pro-sideload/

Yes, the EU form factor is not ideal but can be worked around. Worst case, a 3D printed mounting adapter.

Comment

Thank you kenm.

Thinking of getting the stand for it to table mount it for time bean.

Ordered it from ITead - with Christmas discount and free shipping it was $89 with a stand. First time I have ever ordered something from ITead. Typically it is Amazon.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                    Found this article: https://blakadder.com/nspanel-pro-sideload/

Yes, the EU form factor is not ideal but can be worked around. Worst case, a 3D printed mounting adapter.
                    As you can side load fully Kiosk Browser, a good candidate for HSTile!
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

As you can side load fully Kiosk Browser, a good candidate for HSTile!
                      My thoughts exactly. Just ordered one from iTead. I ordered the stand as well.

Comment

Received NSPanel Pro today via USPS. Very well packaged in bubble wrap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NSPanel-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	1584074

Click image for larger version  Name:	NSPanel-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	1584075
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Reading / Googling that ADB is maybe enabled on my new NSPanel Pro such that I can connect ADB wirelessly versus using a USB port.

Here using Ubuntu Linux on my Lenova Laptop.

Sideload Apps to Sonoff NSPanel Pro

Installing ADB via command line:

Code:
                          sudo apt update
                          sudo apt install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot​
                          After installation see the following:

Code:
                          :~$ adb version
                          Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.39
                          Version 1:8.1.0+r23-5~18.04
                          Installed as /usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/adb
                          Installing the device in the Sonoff case.

1 - Pry the cover off the NSPanel Pro and pulled of the power see picture
                          2 - I used an old computer power cable here cutting off the end and stripping it to expose the neutral (white), black (line-hot) and green (ground) leads. I used heat shrink tubing on the green leads. This is my power lead for the NSPanel Pro.
                          3 - I fed the power lead through the back of the table mount and connected the neutral, line leads to the terminals on the NSPanel Pro and slide the power cover lead back in place.
                          4 - attached the back plate of the NSPanel Pro to the tabletop mount with two included Philips screws.
                          5 - snapped the NSPanel Pro cover back in place. Note that the tab is on the bottom.
                          6 - powered up the NSPanel Pro
                          7 - updated firmware and rebooted. Configured time and weather settings. I was at v1.1.4 and now at v1.1.5
                          8 - tried to attach to device using SSH and ADB. It is not enabled.
                          Code:
                          ~$ adb connect 192.168.244.244
                          * daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
                          * daemon started successfully
                          unable to connect to 192.168.244.244:5555: Connection refused
                          9 -

In this version Sonoff locked down SSH and ADB access. To regain ADB access quickly tap the Device ID 8 times to enable developer mode in eWeLink app Device Settings. That means you need to pair the NSPanel Pro with an eWeLink account to be able to do this.​

Reading this:

Having enabled developer mode in eWeLink It turns out that this stops you from receiving any new firmware versions - how kind of them....so I'm stuck on v1.1.1

10 - found an archive of the firmware here and will upload new firmware to this site.

11 - Installed the EWinkLink app to my Android phone and enabled ADB mode

12 -
                          Code:
                          ~$ adb connect 192.168.244.244
                          connected to 192.168.244.244:5555
                          13 -

Code:
                          adb devices -l
                          List of devices attached

device product:px30_evb model:px30_evb device:px30_evb transport_id:1
                          14 - Install ultra small launcher

adb install ultra-small-launcher.apk​

Simulate a home key press and follow instructions

adb shell input keyevent 3​

15 - rebooted by unplugging and plugging in NSPanel Pro. Booted up in to ultra-small-launcher and has disconnected from EWinkLink app.

16 - finished tinkering. I like that it is a tiny screen with a 120VAC PS. No batteries. It makes a very simple alarm keypad console for my OmniPro 2 panel. It is quick as it will play back TV fine with the HDHomerun tuner app.

Default it comes very bare bones with just the EWink app running (cloud). Everything runs that I have added to it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NSPanelPro-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	1584567

Click image for larger version  Name:	NSPanelPro-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.1 KB ID:	1584568

Click image for larger version  Name:	NSPanelPro-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	1584569

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Sounds like you've made some progress. I have a couple of Android tablets where I've been able to side-load APKs without adb. I plugged the tablet into a USB port on a Windows PC and it created a USB flash drive. I copied the APK to the drive and then opened the APK in file manager and installed it. Does the NSPanel Pro have a file manager app?

Comment

Does the NSPanel Pro have a file manager app?

Not natively. You have to install one.

Yes...finished here and now removing fluff...got VNC running on it too. Way faster than the Wink I played with a few years back...The usb port is there but you have to take it all apart to get to it...much easier to use ADB to start....then you can also use SSH and SFTP to copy APK files...Tiny thing...I am impressed. Here have always rooted and cleansed my Android phones and did redo the base OS for the first generation Homeseer wall touchscreen many many years ago...

took a bunch of pictures and will attach directory zipped of all of the APK files you need so you do not have to download them...
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X