My CM11A is going crazy!!! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CM11A is going crazy!!! HELP!

I recently just had a few power failures in a row. Once the power came back on and stayed on, the CM11A now seems to be locked. When I look at my coupler/repeater, it is flashing constantly even tho no signals are being sent.

I tried unplugging the CM11A and rebooting HS but it still does the same thing. When I do unplug the CM11A, the coupler/repeater stops flashing. As soon as I plug the CM11A back in, it starts the coupler/repeater flashing again.

Is my CM11A dead?

Someone please help!!!
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Bob,
    Do you have a palm pad remote and a TM751 or a way to get the ir signal on the powerline so the CM11A can see this. This sometimes can clear the CM11A. Another thing to try is leave it unplugged for at least an hour and try it again. Make sure it doesn't have batteries. Also try clearing the CM11A memory via HS.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

I left it unplugged for about 20 minutes and that seemed to do it. Thanks

Do you know why this happens?
      Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

Not really but it's been reported dozens of times over the years.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

As Rupp says nobody seems to know why this happens with CM11's and 12's, but it does.

Rupp's solution always works for me. Also I don't have the batteries installed, found it would work a lot more efficient without them.
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Blade, I have a spare CM11A that I use for just these cases. I unplug the old one, plug in the new one and I am usually ready to go. That being said, I don't think I've had a CM11A failure in over a year! (knock on wood).

Do you happen to have a PR511 floodlight? I have a friend who finds his coupler/repeater going nuts due to signals from the PR511 where it seems to throw it into loops.

Comment

Jeff,

I do not have a floodlight and I have had no troubles at all with my CM11A in the past (I mean none).

It seems to be working fine again now

(sigh of relief)
              Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

you know Bob, that sounds really familiar.... I remember having one problem over a year ago (in fact it could have been 2 years).... and haven't had a problem since. Some people question the reliability of the CM11A, but I haven't witnessed anything other than what I've described. I think virtually every other device in my house has had more problems than that.

Comment

I read that the CM11's get into goofy states and oscillate, or the microprocessor scews up and puts out timing I/O bits - and the result is an overheated part, hence, the cure after a cool-down delay.

Just rumor.

Comment

Quote:

"I recently just had a few power failures in a row"

Since my CM11A has been on a ups, NO lockups. Of course, won't work for everyone. (Signal suck/Noise)

X10 remote/ RR501 (TM751)/ On/Off command will generally "unlock" a CM11A. (Of course it has to be plugged in to the same circuit as the RR501.)

Apparently the CM11A is a lot better than the current CM15A. Fair warning for HS newbies.

GLT

Comment

Power failures - lots of weird noise on the AC line - and may cause the microprocessor's firmware to go into screwup mode and overheat the transmit circuit - I've heard of this. My speculation.

I, like others, went through several CM11's to find a reliable one.
                      It seems that the design is poor and X10 never cared to correct it.

Comment

I've also had a bad history with more than 1/2 dozen of the X10 floodlights that go into a babbling mode and need to have power cycled to shut them up. I also tried a Leviton version and had the same result. The floodlights along the road are an ideal solution for me to know when someone is coming and for computer control of the floodlights. I ended up disabling the motion/dusk transmission on the floodlight and used non-x10 motion sensors with a powerflash interface so the computer was aware of the road traffic. The floodlight is still controllable via x10.

Comment

Arrrgh! I just installed an Edgport serial to USB box and used up the last hour trying to get it to work. Turns out, it's the CM11A acting up (not communicating at all). I am now waiting the perverbial one-hour to see if it will begin coorperating again.

Shouldn't we all be bald pulling our hair out over this stuff?

Comment

Ditto on the Flood Lights...

I have some 8 yo floodlights that occasionally wig out. They would quit working themselves and would then cause problems with other devices around the house. One day I just happened to notice that correlation, cut the power for the floods and everything started working again. I wound up rewiring the flood light motion detector power so that they plug into an appliance modude that only gets turned on 30+- sunset/sunrise. That pretty much ended the problem.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                            X