3way switch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3way switch problem

I just installed a few switches and one of them was a 3way for the kitchen. The problem I'm having though is the kitchen lights now seem to randomly turn off. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes sometimes it's hours later. They just dim down and turn off. I checked my hs log and didn't see anything in there, anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Are the kitchen lights fluorescent? If so the ballasts may be causing interference. Then again, re-reading your post, most fluorescents don't dim do they.
    Mike

Comment

they're incadecent, there's about 6 of them up there and they're 65w bulbs.

Comment

Are the lights Halogen with a transformer? They will dim, but the transformer can cause havoc to switches that aren't rated for transfomer use.

Edit, we posted together.

65x6 = 400 watts. Is the switch with other switches in a double / triple gang box? Might be overheating.

Comment

Yea a tripple. and it's packed tight, very tight.

Comment

Are they made by X10? Their switches are only rated for 300 watts. Try taking out two bulbs to test if the problem goes away.

Comment

With 3 switches packed tight, even 3 bulbs might still overheat. The rated capacity is usually best case (one switch in a nice cool box). You could try to install a metal switch cover to help dissapate the heat (but it will get warm!).

Comment

It's a 500W levinton. Anyone know of a switch i could replace it with that wouldn't be so heat sensitive? Actually I may just switch the master switch from the kitchen to the garage, big temp difference so it may help

Comment

Smarthome and Lightolier have both 600 and 1000 watt switches.
                  Martin Custer

Comment

Working...
                  X