Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexa getting very unreliable in the UK - time to change ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa getting very unreliable in the UK - time to change ?

I have used Alexa for voice control for years, and generally its been working very well. For the last 2 weeks or so, it has been extremely unreliable. I have a lot of routines set up, with custom answers from Alexa. So as a example I say turn on TV, and she responds turning on TV. Whats happening now in 50% of the time, she says turning on TV, but nothing else happens. I have tried running the routine from the Alexa app (pressing play), with the same result. When I try a minute later, she might do it.
    This is with any voice command (routine). If I trigger the event (or change the device state) via HS4, it works instantly. I have checked in HS4, and I can see from the time stamp of events (or device) in question, that they do not run. So it seems to me, as this is a Alexa problem, not HS4.
    Given that Amazon is reducing Alexa resources, it might have to do with that, so wondering if others are also experienced issues.
    Is there any point trying to switch to google ? Another option is expanding Alexa voice control via Node Red. I do not have much in terms of Node Red voice control yet, so not sure if there are / will be issues too. I will probably set up more Node Red voice commands for testing anyway.

Exactly the same problem here. Started around a couple of weeks ago. Alexa seems to execute the routine because I also have a custom voice response, but it never makes it to HomeSeer. You can issue the same command over and over again and "maybe" she'll eventually run the HS scene. Come back a half hour later and it'll work first time.

I've tried removing the voice responses, disabled / enabled the skill, deleted and re-entered the routines, changed the scene names, nothing seems to get a reliable response.

This only seems to be with routines. If I ask Alexa to change the state of a device directly, it seems to be reliable.

Did the HomeSeer skill version get updated recently?

Comment

Yes that sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I dont think the skill has been updated but not sure really. Looks like this is not just the UK then

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
        Exactly the same problem here. Started around a couple of weeks ago. Alexa seems to execute the routine because I also have a custom voice response, but it never makes it to HomeSeer. You can issue the same command over and over again and "maybe" she'll eventually run the HS scene. Come back a half hour later and it'll work first time.

I've tried removing the voice responses, disabled / enabled the skill, deleted and re-entered the routines, changed the scene names, nothing seems to get a reliable response.

This only seems to be with routines. If I ask Alexa to change the state of a device directly, it seems to be reliable.

Did the HomeSeer skill version get updated recently?
        Same problem here in the USA after a problem a couple of weeks ago when Alexa wouldn't execute ANY events. Since HS fixed the problem Alexa is not working consistently with events. I use to be able to say "Alexa, (run, execute, activate, turn on) <event name.> But now only turn on seems to work consistently. I'm going to put in a support ticket and reference my previous ticket. Please do the same. Squeaky wheel and all that!

Comment

Using Jon00 Alexa Helper continually and have not noticed any issues, USA
          tenholde

Comment

Thanks, going to check that out.

I remember the good old days when I was 50-50 Z-Wave / Insteon. I had 8 button KeyPadLincs, 8 button RemoteLincs, never a problem finding a button to trigger an event. Since I switched to Z-Wave only I've had to rely on Alexa more and more. There's no nice Z-Wave remotes out there that work reliably with Z-Wave.

I have a Minimote but you can't buy them anymore. There don't seem to be any Nanomotes anymore except used and overpriced. The Remotec ZRC90 looked very promising but I couldn't get it to add using the HS4 Z-Wave plug-in.

All that's left is Alexa, off to find Jon00 Alexa Helper.

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
              Using Jon00 Alexa Helper continually and have not noticed any issues, USA
              Doesn't that require "Alexa, tell Homseer to..."

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Doesn't that require "Alexa, tell Homseer to..."
                You can change that, with the Jon00 helper you can rename tell homeseer to anything. Mine is tell James... but its still more cumbersome than a routine, 'Alexa, lights on' is a lot better than 'Alexa, as James lights on'. The skill is great, lots of possiblilities even for nested responses. But for simple things like lights on, you cant beat a routine. At least when its working... I had stopped using Jon00's skill, I use a lot of routines and some Alexa commands via Node Red.

Comment

I was not happy with the 'tell homeseer' initially, but quickly got used to it and it is no big deal. The decider is that it is very reliable.
                  tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                    I was not happy with the 'tell homeseer' initially, but quickly got used to it and it is no big deal. The decider is that it is very reliable.
                    That's because Amazon has no say in the processing of the speech! 😃
                    Jon

Comment

Not so, Amazon performs speech to text, and users the 'homeseer' to send it to my homeseer server. A reliable speech to text engine is the key. Then the magic of jon00 takes over.
                      tenholde

Comment

The problem here is not in the speech to text process, the routine is executed just fine as indicated by the voice response if you add one to the routine. The problem is that either Alexa is not running the scene or that the HomeSeer skill has a problem when the scene is passed to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

That's because Amazon has no say in the processing of the speech! 😃
                          (In my best Elvis voice) Why thank you..., thank you very much... 👉
                          Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

There is another thread now from someone else, more people having issues

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/general-discussion-area/1586984-alexa-won-t-voice-trigger-my-events-solved/page1

I have also raised a support ticket HSCS-18021

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                              There is another thread now from someone else, more people having issues

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/general-discussion-area/1586984-alexa-won-t-voice-trigger-my-events-solved/page1

I have also raised a support ticket HSCS-18021
                              What was their response so far, if any? I'm really frustrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X