Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I turn lights only for a certain length of time using an event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer tends to be very literal and accurate. I have never seen it misread a condition. I would have to see what time sunrise and sunset are on your system and a log entry showing the nighttime condition was not met during nighttime hours.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

What didn't work? Was front door opened? And was it after nighttime (unfortunately, HS doesn't show the sunrise/sunset time anymore. Instead you have to use the Jon00 plugin which has it's own issues/overwrites. HS doesn't care putting it back...). Anyways, if the door is being opened and it is night time then it should trigger.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_NCZi5BzExI.png
Views:	160
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1589383

Comment

Calculated sunrise and sunset are on the General tab of Settings.

Name:	AB2DFBE6-D0AB-42D2-8618-D6C16EBB4C3C.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1589385

Jon00’s links let’s you put them back in the header.

Name:	280EC798-AB8E-480F-B05A-06CA4B54BA87.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1589386

Comment

I didn't know about this but it's rather complicated. You have to go to the main page. Then click on "manage users" in the top right. Then click on "General" and then look at "Location" which lists the sunrise and sunset. In HS3 you could see the sunrise and sunset on each single page you visited. It's such an important time that it really should be shown on each page rather than having to go through a bunch of steps. My 2 cents.

Comment

When I noticed it wasn't working, I removed the test for the lights being on already, and I adjusted the time criteria to be sunset plus 1 hour. This does now show the time on the condition.

Name:	image.png
Views:	148
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1589447
            Here is the event called by IFTTT which calls the Security Ring Doorbell - Motion - Action event:

Views:	109
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1589449

Here is the log file:

Views:	109
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1589448​​6:29:00 PM - it detects me opening the front door to go onto the front porch
            6:29:00 PM - it turns the hallway lights on per that event
            6:29:04 PM - the Security Ring Doorbell - Motion event is run by IFTTT
            6:29:04 PM - the 'Run Event' action is skipped because the conditions were not met.

So, as I am typing all this out I think I might have figured out what the issue is. When I was testing for Nighttime, it is testing that the time is in the Nighttime range (after Sunset and before Sunrise), in an attempt to limit it to when it is truly darker out, I thought the one hour after Sunset would be the way to go and assumed it would still be a range i.e. Sunset + 1 hour through to end of day.......BUT......I am now thinking that it is very literal and it is checking for the EXACT time to be sunset + 1 hour. This is fine if you are setting the event to run at that time and only at that time, but not if it is a secondary condition and you want the time range. D'oh.

Let me put this back to Nighttime and see if that works.

Comment

You figured it out. 1 hour 0 minutes after sunset is an exact time and will not work as a condition. Nighttime is a range. There is an Easy Trigger Condition or Easy Trigger schedule that will do what you want. Here is an event using Easy Trigger Conditions that will run between an hour after sunset and an hour before sunrise. it takes two Conditions because HS conditions cannot cross midnight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.png Views:	0 Size:	41.5 KB ID:	1589466

Comment

Originally posted by carlsnewton View Post

PS - Should I be worried about these entries in the log relating to receiving messages from unknown networks, or the error on strings outside the bounds of the array?

Views:	212
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	1589339
                I recommend that you raise this question in Spud's UPB forum. You may be getting unrepeatable results if you are having communication problems with your PIM.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                  You figured it out. 1 hour 0 minutes after sunset is an exact time and will not work as a condition. Nighttime is a range. There is an Easy Trigger Condition or Easy Trigger schedule that will do what you want. Here is an event using Easy Trigger Conditions that will run between an hour after sunset and an hour before sunrise. it takes two Conditions because HS conditions cannot cross midnight.

Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.png Views:	0 Size:	41.5 KB ID:	1589466
                  Hey Randy, I don't see which condition I would select to get "The time is after (sunset + 1h)"

These are the selectable options

Views:	105
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1589575
                  I tried "The time is this after Sunset" and then selecting 1 hour.......but that is the same issue as being an exact time. If I select "The Time is After This" I have have to pick an exact time, I can't see how to pick sunset + 1 hour?​

Comment

Randy's example uses an Easy Trigger condition- this requires the Easy Trigger plugin. It is a fantastic plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
                      Randy's example uses an Easy Trigger condition- this requires the Easy Trigger plugin. It is a fantastic plugin.
                      Aha, thank you, didn't realize it required a different plugin. Thanks

Comment

If you don’t want to purchase Easy Trigger, you can create a Virtual Device with an Event to turn it on at 1 hour after sunset and another Event to turn it off at 1 hour before sunrise. Then use the Virtual Device as a condition in the Event that turns the lights On. This Virtual Device could be called “Night Lighting”and could be used in many lighting Events.

Easy Trigger also allows you to easily set a daily or weekly schedule that can be used as a Trigger or Condition in an Event. There are many features of value in Easy Trigger. I highly recommend this plug-in. Read about it here.

Comment

Working...
                        X