No announcement yet.

Schlage Z-wave lock recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had Zwave locks for a while and switched them out a few months back as they would miss with heavy traffic. If not a ton of traffic they work just fine. I switched to Kwikset Zigbee locks and the MQTT plugin and I haven't had a miss since.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      I meant to say the house currently has all Schlage deadbolt locks so I want to replace with a Z Wave Schlage deadbolt lock to work with HS. The locksmith say the change out for the old deabolt with the new Schlage Z wave "should" be a direct replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by radiowave View Post

I meant to say the house currently has all Schlage deadbolt locks so I want to replace with a Z Wave Schlage deadbolt lock to work with HS. The locksmith say the change out for the old deabolt with the new Schlage Z wave "should" be a direct replacement.
        He’s not entirely wrong. However the bolt in the ZWave lock is bigger and tapered so when the bolt locks it pulls the door tight. You may have to fiddle with the strike plate a little to get it working optimally.

Comment

It is an interesting coincidence, but last night I had an attempted break in through my Schlage 469 lock. I have it on Ring video.

A teenager attempted to kick down the door, and landed a very solid kick on the lock. The Schlage was unmoved and undamaged, but immediately started to shriek an alarm. Scared away the two teenagers! I had heard that the Schlage 469 is a tougher lock than others, now I believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
            It is an interesting coincidence, but last night I had an attempted break in through my Schlage 469 lock. I have it on Ring video.

A teenager attempted to kick down the door, and landed a very solid kick on the lock. The Schlage was unmoved and undamaged, but immediately started to shriek an alarm. Scared away the two teenagers! I had heard that the Schlage 469 is a tougher lock than others, now I believe it.
            The 469 is in fact the best residential smart lock (typically under $300) according to my research, they are rated ANSI Grade 1, others like Qwikset and Yale are Grade 2.

Comment

You may have to fiddle with the strike plate a little to get it working optimally.​
              This is the biggest challenge as far as any auto door locks. I installed a new door but the holes for the dead bolt and the striker below don't line up perfectly. I adjusted the striker for the regular catch and everything was fine. However, the weight of the door kept pushing against the adjusted metal and eventually it went back to its original position. So now the z-wave lock jams instead of properly locking.

I want a good seal around the door so it's imperative that the door close where the z-wave lock has it close. It's very frustrating. I think a tapered bolt for the Yale might be a solution. Anyone else deal with this?

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post

Anyone else deal with this?
                Yep. I have a 100 year old house built on top of sand. So even a door and jamb that are perfectly aligned today might not be a year from now.

The solution is called a Dremel. Takes less than 2 minutes to carefully grind the strike plate opening to accommodate any misalignments.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Yep. I have a 100 year old house built on top of sand. So even a door and jamb that are perfectly aligned today might not be a year from now.

The solution is called a Dremel. Takes less than 2 minutes to carefully grind the strike plate opening to accommodate any misalignments.
                  That is exactly what I had to do.

Comment

TC1 thanks. I have the opposite as I will have to add onto the strike plate to force the door in further. But I just got a small oxy/acetylene torch so this might be my first project.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                      TC1 thanks. I have the opposite as I will have to add onto the strike plate to force the door in further. But I just got a small oxy/acetylene torch so this might be my first project.
                      Ahh, I see your issue. Depending on how play there is, it might be better to remove the strike plate, fill the existing holes with some wood filler, and then reattach the plate to ensure a tight closure.

Your suggestion of attaching a thin metal shim to the tongue of the plate would also work, just be sure to polish it smooth so the lock bolt will engage easily.

Comment

Ahh, I see your issue. Depending on how play there is, it might be better to remove the strike plate, fill the existing holes with some wood filler, and then reattach the plate to ensure a tight closure.
                        This is how we did all 5. We use anon locking latch plus the Schlage deadbolt. We adjusted the striker plate to make sure the doors latch tightly against the weatherstrip. On one, we had to remove the striker plate, fill the holes, chisel out the frame and reinstall the striker. Then we carefully adjusted the deadbolt striker plate so the deadbolt lands without interference. We put some black grease on the end of the deadbolt, closed the door and manually tried to engage the deadbolt. The grease showed exactly where the bolt was landing on its striker plate. All 5 have worked reliably for over 5 years. We did replace all 5 with Z-Wave plus versions when they were released.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

randy got me thinking (he's good at that!) and then I did some googling, and sure enough... there's an EASY solution to this that doesn't require much of anything other than replacing the strike plate (maybe enlarging the latch hole) with a new one. This product will ensure the door is snug and yet still engage the latch.

Adjustable Door Strike Plate | Get Free Shipping Today (doorlocksdirect.com)

Comment

randy got me thinking (he's good at that!) and then I did some googling, and sure enough... there's an EASY solution to this that doesn't require much of anything other than replacing the strike plate (maybe enlarging the latch hole) with a new one. This product will ensure the door is snug and yet still engage the latch.

Adjustable Door Strike Plate | Get Free Shipping Today (doorlocksdirect.com)
                            Good idea. Since they wanted $15 to ship them, I went with Amazon for $0.50 more and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also have one for $1 less, but I didn't like the look.

https://www.amazon.com/Defender-Secu...0D2K39BM&psc=1

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I just bit the bullet and paid the excessive shipping. It's 2-1/4" tall whereas some others are 2-3/4" . I found it in an Antique Bronze finish since that alone will keep the WAF.

I'm also brazing the existing one as a backup.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                                Good idea. Since they wanted $15 to ship them, I went with Amazon for $0.50 more and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also have one for $1 less, but I didn't like the look.

https://www.amazon.com/Defender-Secu...0D2K39BM&psc=1
                                Yeah, I like the first one also. Home Depot also carries some of these for ship-to-store, but Amazon Prime is always quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                X