Zigbee direct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee direct

This looks an interesting development; Zigbee Direct | Bluetooth Low-Energy - CSA-IOT

Really?
    Can you tell us what you see that has you interested?
    I would think the majority of Zigbee users already have some kind of hub that they use for control, so now they're gonna bypass that hub and just use the bluetooth on their phone to control their devices?
    I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post
      Really?
      Can you tell us what you see that has you interested?
      I would think the majority of Zigbee users already have some kind of hub that they use for control, so now they're gonna bypass that hub and just use the bluetooth on their phone to control their devices?
      I don't see it.
      I don't have a Zigbee hub. I already have 3 hubs for different technologies so the potential to add Zigbee without another hub has an attraction.

Comment

I think YoLink works like this. You can get a YoLink hub, or use their "D2D" (device-to-device) communication. You can also do this with Z-Wave associations.

Anyway, I agree it looks interesting.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post

I don't have a Zigbee hub. I already have 3 hubs for different technologies so the potential to add Zigbee without another hub has an attraction.
          But you do understand you would need a hub if you want to control the devices with HS.
          Wouldn't that be more appealing to you? Who cares how many hubs it takes, isn't the point of home automation to be able to control everything with one controller?

Comment

But you do understand you would need a hub if you want to control the devices with HS.
            Wouldn't that be more appealing to you? Who cares how many hubs it takes, isn't the point of home automation to be able to control everything with one controller?
            Or do you need a hub? My HS is running on Win 11 and I already have Bluetooth on that PC. Seems to be it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that control could be achieved via the existing Bluetooth. As to why don't I want another hub; they all use power and the more we can all reduce power use the better for the planet, not to mention my wallet.

Comment

Yeah, I guess a plugin can be written for the bluetooth. Just hope you don't have any devices 40 feet away from the pc, bluetooth doesn't mesh.
              I completely agree about the power, but we're talking about a usb stick.

Anyway, hope it works out the way you're thinking.

Comment

Yeah, I guess a plugin can be written for the bluetooth. Just hope you don't have any devices 40 feet away from the pc, bluetooth doesn't mesh.
                I completely agree about the power, but we're talking about a usb stick.

Anyway, hope it works out the way you're thinking.
                From what I've read, once the Bluetooth signal reaches a zigbee device it can then use the zigbee mesh to get where it needs to be.

Comment

Working...
                X