Mains Receptacles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mains Receptacles

We're going to be doing some furniture reorganization in our living room soon, and I need some advice please.

I need to replace 3 old X10 dual receptacles in a 3-way box (I don't use X10 any more, so they're basically 3 pairs of always on outlets). I currently use both z-wave and zigbee, so I'm open to solutions on either.

I'd like to replace the 3 dual receptacles with ones that do control, and power monitoring - what do folks recommend for that these days? I could just install 3 standard dumb sockets, and use something like Minoston smart plug, but I'm not 100% sure that I can fit 3 in a row - maybe 2 on the bottom and 1 on top would work, but it still doesn't look as finished as a receptacle with it built in.

What are the recommendations?
    Thanks.

G

In a Z-Wave duplex outlet Enerwave sells energy monitoring outlets. I cannot recommend them. I purchased 5. They constantly failed reporting energy, until they failed altogether. Jasco and others make duplex outlets with one switched outlet, but no energy monitoring.

I will not go the route of monitoring duplex outlets again. I use switched duplex outlets from Jasco, but if I need energy monitoring I’ll go with a plug-in module. Zooz has a very nice module ZEN04 that offers energy monitoring, but it is no longer available. I have a handful. This is on the website:
    BACK IN STOCK: 04/2023 (NEW 800LR VERSION!)

I’ve seen others on Amazon. The Aeotec smart switch 6 is also a good item, but discontinued a couple of years ago.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

https://zigbee.blakadder.com/Sinope_SP2610ZB.html

Comment

GHome Smart WO1-1 Smart Wall Outlet, White https://a.co/d/cYQxOOW

https://templates.blakadder.com/gosund_WO1.html

Comment

Just to throw WiFi into the mix, I use Sonoff S31 modules re-flashed with Tasmota firmware and controlled/monitored with mcsMQTT. I also recently picked up a couple of Kauf PLF12 modules that come pre-configured for either ESPHome or Tasmota. I use Tasmota and mcsMQTT for those as well.

I prefer modules over outlets because they are easier to move around. I also prefer WiFi modules since I don't have to worry about them meshing with other Z-Wave or Zigbee devices.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            In a Z-Wave duplex outlet Enerwave sells energy monitoring outlets. I cannot recommend them. I purchased 5.
            Thanks. That's the sort of info I wanted to hear, along with some positives as well

Jasco and others make duplex outlets with one switched outlet, but no energy monitoring.
            I have several of them in basement box (don't mention that to my wife), but as you say, no energy monitoring.

very nice module ZEN04 that offers energy monitorng, but it is no longer available.
            The problem with that module, is that it blocks the next outlet, if you have 2 in a surface mount box? There are a few plug in modules that do energy monitoring, but most of them (the Minoston seems to be an exception) block off one (or both) of the adjacent outlets.

G

Comment

Thanks for the links. It looks like most of them are for Wi-Fi, which I don't want to get into for HA .
              The Sineope looks interesting. Looks like it's still HA 1.2, which in of itself isn't an issue - how is it for support? I can't seem to find any detailed docs on the features that it supports, and can't find on their website that it supports monitoring - though the Amazon listing does suggest that it does

Energy reports (see your consumption and savings in real-time)

G

Comment

Depending on your zigbee gateway, these might be a viable option, they stack in a duplex receptacle, plus they are inexpensive. Up until now, I've been using BN-Link power monitoring plugs via the HS Tuya plugin (local control wifi), I might order a few of these Zigbee ones to play with.

NEO Tuya ZigBee 3.0 Smart Wifi Plug 15A US With Power Monitor Function Wireless Remote Control Socket Outlet Connection Gateway| | - AliExpress

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                  I might order a few of these Zigbee ones to play with.
                  They look interesting. The stacking is useful, though the pictures are a little squiffy - some of the pictures show the "overhang" on the left, and some on the right. Looks like to do that, you'd need to mount the base receptacle upside down.

I'd like to get a couple to play with as well, but I've ordered several other things just to play with, so I don't think I'm going to have enough time to play.
                  I've also been getting some sideways wife looks since she's started noticing some additional temperature sensors - I think if I try and get some more stuff, it's going to turn into full on mum eye rolls - not good.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post

Thanks for the links. It looks like most of them are for Wi-Fi, which I don't want to get into for HA .
                    The Sineope looks interesting. Looks like it's still HA 1.2, which in of itself isn't an issue - how is it for support? I can't seem to find any detailed docs on the features that it supports, and can't find on their website that it supports monitoring - though the Amazon listing does suggest that it does

G
                    Sorry, forgot to add the Z2M link, supported features detailed.

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/devices/SP2610ZB.html

Sinope has great support, they are a Canadian manufacturer (less than 50km from my place) and it's pretty easy to get someone technical on the line.
                    A number of people are updating Z2M and ZHA support as they release products.

I own a number of their thermostats and am very satisfied so far.

this thread will give you an idea of the level of interest in their products:

https://community.home-assistant.io/...rmostats/17157

You can get an extra discount by subscribing to their mailing list and/or wait for rebates (3-4 times a year)

Comment

Working...
                    X