Zooz Zen32 Custom-Etched buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken,

I assume you side loaded Fully Kiosk Browser?

Do you get the browser audio out of the NSPanel Pro speaker?
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      Ken,

I assume you side loaded Fully Kiosk Browser?

Do you get the browser audio out of the NSPanel Pro speaker?
      Yes, I hacked it per Pete's method here and side-loaded FKB.

I've never tested audio so I'm not sure. Unfortunately, my unit stopped booting this past weekend. I've been working out mounting and positioning and I must have been handling it a bit too much. I've reached out to ITEAD but not sure if they'll replace it since I'm sure I voided the warranty with the hacks.

Maybe Pete can answer your question? I know he mentioned that he got stuck on FW1.1.1 so I'm not sure if he's running the latest firmware or not.
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Since this is about etched buttons, I thought I'd share what I came up with so far for a touchscreen using Adobe Fireworks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	button_bay_window.png
Views:	225
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1595428

Name:	button_bar_cabinets.png
Views:	205
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1595429

This is definitely a work-in-progress and I'm by no means a graphics artist.

My wife made an interesting point when we were discussing labelled buttons vs. touchscreen. She pointed out that anything that needs to be read should be at or near eye-level instead of at switch-level. I hadn't thought about that but she's right. Our T-stats are at eye-level, almost 16 inches above switch height.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Yes, I hacked it per Pete's method here and side-loaded FKB.

I've never tested audio so I'm not sure. Unfortunately, my unit stopped booting this past weekend. I've been working out mounting and positioning and I must have been handling it a bit too much. I've reached out to ITEAD but not sure if they'll replace it since I'm sure I voided the warranty with the hacks.

Maybe Pete can answer your question? I know he mentioned that he got stuck on FW1.1.1 so I'm not sure if he's running the latest firmware or not.
          Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the replacement but as you say, the warranty goes invalid as soon as you enable adb.

So got mine today and have FKB working fine with HSTile. To answer my own question, yes you get audio out from the browser.

Are you going to buy a replacement if they won't replace? Great buttons BTW!
          Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon. I haven't heard back from ITEAD yet and I'm still contemplating whether I'll buy another if they don't replace it. The decision comes down to whether I want to mount an NSPanel Pro at switch height or use a ZEN32 at that height or mount a tablet at eye-level. I'm also still looking at engraving on the wall plate instead of the faceplate itself. HSTile on FKB is a very powerful combination so it's hard to think about the amount of work involved in engraving.

Up until now, I've been using horizontal tablet designs but I'm working on a vertical layout now for a tight space. Currently 600x1024 but the final design will likely be 800x1280. I've been wallowing in Adobe Fireworks to see if I can get creative. Being a product test guy, my creativity stops at coming up with meaningful variable names.

Comment

TC1 Just checking back in to show what I've done so far using a tablet in vertical orientation. jon00 has added a tag that allows a tile to visually simulate a button press by changing the opacity of layered images. This along with status tracking images (the LEDs), and CSS text styling, I think it looks pretty good. A single gang Decora wall plate is 3" x 5" and the tablet is 4.5" x 7" so the aspect ratio is almost the same. That's why I decided to make the controls look like a big wall controller. The TiVo guy and buttons on the bottom are just there for my convenience as I'm prototyping this on a tablet on my office desk.

Now I just need to figure out how to get tablet power to that tight space.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 12.09.17 PM.png
Views:	217
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1598637

Comment

kenm thanks for the progress update. You're giving me thoughts for consideration on which I direction I should go regarding my first tablet project, which i keep putting off due to lack of free time. I was ready to start using HS4Touch since I have a pro license, but to blunt, that product is a hot mess in terms of packaging and lack of a cohesive library of modern graphics.

Seeing what you are doing in HSTiles is giving me serious pause as to whether trying to do something in HSTouch is worth the hassle.

Comment

I'm pretty much standardizing on FireHD-8 and -10 tablets with HSTile using Fully Kiosk Browser. I'm currently using BN Nook 7 tablets but they are running such an old version of Android, I have to do a few special things with FKB. I also have a Samsung Galaxy View 18 I've been considering using but since it's also 1920x1080, the same layout will work for both the -10 and the GV18. I have to think about button sizing. It's the PPI (pixels-per-inch) that determines the physical size of the buttons and I kind of like a little bigger button for my stubby fingers.

My biggest concern with HS4Touch is the lack of a roadmap and whether or not current design files will work with the new, web-based editor. There was a discussion on that a while back but nothing definitive ever came out of it.

I was also pretty disappointed with the limited graphics that came with HS4Touch, so I've been doing some of my own. Let me know if you have something you want me to prototype for you. I've already contributed some button and LED files to HSTile and plan to contribute more as I get them fine tuned. The "glass" button at the bottom of the page is the one I'm tuning now.

Comment

Zooz option looks great. About $50, quick turnaround, easy to replace keypad, happy camper here.

Comment

Any one talked with HomeSeer about labeling for HS-WX300 switch’s? I would very interested if I could get custom labels for those switches.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddy View Post
                        Any one talked with HomeSeer about labeling for HS-WX300 switch’s? I would very interested if I could get custom labels for those switches.
                        For the single paddle? My advice is just use clear P-Touch tape. Now that you mentioned it, I might apply some P-Touch labels to my scene capable dimmers, so folks know how many taps activate what functions.

Comment

Working...
                        X