Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMAZON FIRE TABLET USERS: How To Set Fixed IP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMAZON FIRE TABLET USERS: How To Set Fixed IP?

Has anyone been able to set a "fixed IP" in a Fire Tablet? There does not seem to such a "setting".
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Most home routers allow something called address reservation. Basically, you look up the MAC address of your device/Fire tablet, enter that and then enter the IP address you would like for it. Then when the router sees that MAC address it will give it the IP address you have entered. You might have to power cycle the tablet or maybe even wait until the IP lease time has expired. I am not quite sure about that part, though.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Two ways to set a fixed IP address on the Fire Tablet:

Use a network reservation on your home router. (see your home router on home to do this)

or
      1. On the Fire directly:
      2. Open the Settings Screen
      3. Tap Internet at the top of the list.
      4. Tap Wifi Preferences
      5. It will bring up your current Wifi network that it is connected to, on the right you'll see a gear icon, tap it.
      6. On the Network details screen there should be pencil in the upper right, tap it.
      7. On the screen that pops up tap Advanced options and scroll down until you see IP settings. Click that drop down and select static.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
        Hi Bob,

Two ways to set a fixed IP address on the Fire Tablet:

Use a network reservation on your home router. (see your home router on home to do this)

or
        1. On the Fire directly:
        2. Open the Settings Screen
        3. Tap Internet at the top of the list.
        4. Tap Wifi Preferences
        5. It will bring up your current Wifi network that it is connected to, on the right you'll see a gear icon, tap it.
        6. On the Network details screen there should be pencil in the upper right, tap it.
        7. On the screen that pops up tap Advanced options and scroll down until you see IP settings. Click that drop down and select static.

TC1 and mulu,
        Thanks for the help. I have used "reservation" feature for many years and that works fine, until: I added an Extender to the further reaches to help out a couple of weak spots. Under some circumstances when the Extender decides to take over a weak Router signal it will change the IP in the Tablet unless it's FIXED! So I went looking exactly where you(TC1) pointed me to, and at least 10 times I did not see the "static" setting(my fingers are probably too large for effective scrolling)--so thank you Tony!

Comment

Bob, don't feel bad, it's *definitely* not intuitive on the Fire menus. It took me a few minutes to realize where it was after I read your question. The way they pop up the advanced menu and then you have to scroll down threw me off at first also. I guess they really don't customers to mess with it, lol.

Comment

Being the pedant that I can be; a fixed IP is when you set the IP in a device; if the IP you want for the device is set in the router it is an allocated IP.

Comment

In a network, the thing responsible for IP allocation is something called DHCP. There actually should only be one of those in any LAN. You should be able to tell that extender to use the DHCP on the main router, thus avoiding the problem.

Comment

What is the MFG and model of the Extender?
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
                  Being the pedant that I can be; a fixed IP is when you set the IP in a device; if the IP you want for the device is set in the router it is an allocated IP.
                  I responded with the address reservation because I thought the Fire tablets don't allow setting a fixed IP. As TC1 pointed out, there is actually such an option. I need to look into this at some point because my router only allows address reservation for 32 devices. Actually, I would have preferred to exclusively use address reservation instead of static IPs. Makes it a bit easier to manage things as you can do everything from the router instead of having to go to each device. I could load an open source firmware onto the router but then I probably would lose the tp-link vpn service which is pretty convenient.

Comment

I think it depends upon the generation of the Fire tablet since the Gen7 HD10s I have do not have static IP settings. DHCP address reservation is the only option for those.
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

All Above,
                      I have always used the Router's DHCP Reservation to keep my system in order. A week ago I purchased a TP-Link Extender(RE220) to boost a distant part of my home. It seems that when the Extender takes "control" of a distant device it sometimes gives it a new and different IP address(not always). I still have 2 Windows10 Tablets and when I locked down their IP address the Extender honored the setting and did not change the IP. There does NOT seem to be a setting in the Extender to use the Routers DCHP reservation table.

Now I am trying to do the same with my Fire and thanks to user TC1, I have at least found the setting menu. BUT the fixed IP settings I used in the Windows Tablets do not seem to work in the Fire Tablet:

IP=192.168.1.141
                      Gateway=192.168.1.1
                      Network prefix length=24
                      DNS1=192.168.1.0 (and also tried 192.168.1.1(router's IP) and also Fire's suggested 8.8.8.8)
                      DNS2=0.0.0.0 (also tried the Fire's suggestion of 8.8.4.4)

Has anyone on the Board successfully set the Fire IP to "static" and can share their setup?

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
                        All Above,
                        I have always used the Router's DHCP Reservation to keep my system in order. A week ago I purchased a TP-Link Extender(RE220) to boost a distant part of my home. It seems that when the Extender takes "control" of a distant device it sometimes gives it a new and different IP address(not always). I still have 2 Windows10 Tablets and when I locked down their IP address the Extender honored the setting and did not change the IP. There does NOT seem to be a setting in the Extender to use the Routers DCHP reservation table.

Now I am trying to do the same with my Fire and thanks to user TC1, I have at least found the setting menu. BUT the fixed IP settings I used in the Windows Tablets do not seem to work in the Fire Tablet:

IP=192.168.1.141
                        Gateway=192.168.1.1
                        Network prefix length=24
                        DNS1=192.168.1.0 (and also tried 192.168.1.1(router's IP) and also Fire's suggested 8.8.8.8)
                        DNS2=0.0.0.0 (also tried the Fire's suggestion of 8.8.4.4)

Has anyone on the Board successfully set the Fire IP to "static" and can share their setup?
                        The RE220 has a DHCP setting (in the TP-Link "Tether" app). You can disable its DHCP server and thus, clients connecting to the RE220 will get their IP address from the upstream router's DHCP server.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230228-163348.png
Views:	412
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1595765

Name:	Screenshot_20230228-163250.png
Views:	401
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1595766

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post

The RE220 has a DHCP setting (in the TP-Link "Tether" app). You can disable its DHCP server and thus, clients connecting to the RE220 will get their IP address from the upstream router's DHCP server.

Name:	Screenshot_20230228-163348.png
Views:	412
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1595765

Name:	Screenshot_20230228-163250.png
Views:	401
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1595766
                          SteveW,
                          It was set to "Auto". I have set to "Disabled" and will watch to see if I get any more crazy IPs assigned. I did notice one other peculiarity: When I observe what connected to the Extender( 2 Windows Tabs and 2 Fire Tabs), looking at what's connected in the the RE220 Windows App, the Window Tablets "Name" shows correctly but the Fire Tablets "name" shows as "ANONYMOUS". Odd?
                          Thanks for the help, if this works I will stick with the Routers DHCP reservations.

Comment

I have seen many struggle finding these settings so I made a quick video, almost hidden, but its there.

https://youtu.be/BLheE6JZG40

Comment

lj502,
                              Video is good-it shows how tough it is to scroll on the last menu. Could you post what "settings" under STATIC that worked for you.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X