How Do I WiFi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I WiFi?

House is 99% Z-Wave with the X-10 outlets coming out of moth balls for Christmas lights.
    I was looking at a few different Wi-Fi outlets and was curious, how does HomeSeer integrate/control Wi-Fi products?
    Is there a specific plugin or a method to control them? Not looking for a hack or a Node Red type idea, I mean true direct integration and control directly through HS.

Thank you ahead of time.
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

I have had great service using TP-Link Smarthome and the PI author is very responsive. Considering the cost and efficiency, in the future, all of my plug-in switches will be TP-Link (or, maybe TAPO). I've been much less impressed with the dimmers, but that is on TP-Link, not the PI or author. For dimmers, I still have to recommend Z-Wave or Zigbee.
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

I use these (and others like these) with the free HS4 Tuya plugin and they work great as X10 replacement plugin modules. My only issue with WIFI devices is I'm running out of room on my AT&T router which apparently only supports 80 devices on the 2.4 GHz range which is what most of these devices are. I believe that can be changed but I haven't tried it yet. 80 seems like a lot but with phones, and tablets, and tv's, and Sonos devices, etc it adds up quickly.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I use Tasmota firmware to replace (if I can) WiFi cloud based firmware. Mostly via JTAG (serial and boot to upgrading firmware). Tasmota now is an OS with a web interface where you can use timers and program a switch autonomously from the software control of same said switch. (IE: run scripts and automation now on the device).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Like Pete, I have replaced the firmware on some with Tasmota. Not all can be replaced, though. Some of this becomes what my brother called a "science experiment" since you have to take the device apart and may fall into your hack category. But it does give you local control using MQTT. As Pete mentioned, Tasmota does allow for internal timers and other automation capabilities, but I do not use that as it is easier to adjust an event in HomeSeer.

There are some plugins which control some of these devices. Also, there is a HubSpace thread where mcsMQTT is being updated to include control of these devices. But these use the Hubspace cloud servers for control and the plugin talks to the cloud server. You may want to check this cloud control for any of the other plugins as well. I am not familiar with them so cannot speak to a local capability.

I have also grabbed a couple ZigBee units and have Zigbee2MQTT set up. On top of that I have 2 z-wave power strips which are nice. 1 is at the office desk and the other performs seasonal duties as needed, such as the tree and things around it at Christmas.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Many (most?) WiFi solutions default to using some type of cloud-based server since that's the simplest user experience possible. Download an app, plugin the device, tell the app to find the device, give it your WiFi credentials, and control it with your phone or tablet. Otherwise, you have to do some gyrations to break the internet dependencies.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Another vote for tasmota. Cheap, reliable and no cloud anything needed. Cloudfree.shop is one of many places that sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
                Another vote for tasmota. Cheap, reliable and no cloud anything needed. Cloudfree.shop is one of many places that sell them.
                Kaufman Home Automation is another one: https://kaufha.com/
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Amazon sells Martin Jerry switches with Tasmota already installed reasonably priced. Virage sells them in Canada with their own tweaked Tasmota firmware.

Personally like the challenge of taking switches apart and manually updating the firmware. The generic WiFi switches can be found for as little as $10 each if you are willing to tinker with them to get them off the cloud.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

ewkearns I just looked at the TP-Link on Amazon. Nice! Are they local control only via the PI or do they still talk to the mother ship?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions
                      Dan-O
                      HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                        ewkearns I just looked at the TP-Link on Amazon. Nice! Are they local control only via the PI or do they still talk to the mother ship?
                        They are controlled locally, but can be searched for and controlled from the mother ship (as one option), so the children with cell phones crowd can control them. Early on I used the "mother ship," when I had issues, but now only use "discovery, " which has been flawless, SINCE:

I canned an out-of-its mind Netgear Router. Looking back to my first introduction to WiFI gear I had quite a few angry moments that I'm 99 44/100% sure were due to an incredibly poorly designed router. e.g. I had three switches on the same IP and everything still worked! Simply amazing!

PS
                        There may be some method for cutting the cord with the mother ship, but it really doesn't get in the way, so...
                        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                        Home Assistant 2024.3
                        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Here went with Ruckus WAPs and PFSense multiport firewall.

That said helping a user these days in TX that went to multiple VLANs and has his TP-Link devices on an 'IOT' Vlan that has become a management nightmare.

Personally it is a bit over the top for a home network.

I've mentioned an easy way out is to wear a tin hat now a days.

Here I do utilize multiple Alexa Show and Alexa devices I have no dependencies on these devices for automation and tired of the adverstisements and suggestions coming from the Amazon devices these days. (it is making them slowly useless).
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Dan-O One other thing I think is worth mentioning and that is WiFi home automation devices all use the more crowded 2.4Ghz bands, not 5GHz. Also, several devices I've tested have rather weak WiFi signals resulting in a higher re-transmit rate than other devices. Finally, don't expect a WiFi dimmer/switch/outlet to work reliably if you put it in a metal junction box. This may be obvious but maybe not.

Comment

Here the metal conduit / metal boxes made me stay away from Z-Wave / Zigbee and stay with UPB and X10. (and Insteon at one point in time).

That said in sandbox house (same metal conduit / boxes) using WiFi modded Tasmota switches (inside and outside of home) and Ruckus AP's and dedicated SSIDs (2.4 Ghz) it is working for me so far.

I only access the network in sandbox house via OpenVPN and do not use my cell phones to manage anything there unless I am connected via VPN (Ring, MyQ, Amazon apps are mostly advertisements and unusable for me). I have introduced powerline Ethernet (ports) and WiFi repeaters which do work for me. A while back also tested Gb coaxial Ethernet which also works fine these days.

Sandbox house is only using Tasmota devices (switches and sensors et al), Ring (cloud) and Amazon show devices (and a couple of Dots).

Going baby steps ........
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X