Please recommend mini PC for HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please recommend mini PC for HS4

I think it's time to upgrade my HS PC. It's a Dell studio hybrid running Windows 7 with 2g of ram and a 2.10ghz Dual Core CPU. Years ago I replaced the drive with a 400gb ssd.

I use all 5 of the USB to interface to things. One of them goes to an 8 port serial box. The RS232 serial converter talks to my thermostat, M1 Gold alarm, USB transceiver.

In any case, I'd like to update to something current. I only run HS on it, so I don't need a high power PC. It needs to be a small form factor like the Studio Hybrid so it can fit in my cabinet.

Should it be Windows 10, or 11? I have a HS 4 Pro license.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

-Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
    Way2 Call
    Elk M1 Gold
    UPB HAI switches
    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

I used a (now discontinued) Beelink U57 Mini PC for a long time. It was really reliable - I can't recall having any issues with it - ever. I live in an area with less-than-clean power so I had it on a UPC.

When hurricane Ian blew through and we lost power, I learned how much my UPS units didn't like the power they were getting from my generator. It got ugly for my PCs and home theater equipment.

That's when I decided to go the route of using a laptop. I'm using an ASUS ExpertBook P2451 exclusively for HS4. It's actually way more than is needed for Homeseer, but I like to have some overhead just in case I want to run something else on it at some point.

It was all about the battery for me.

Also, upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11 made a huge difference with regard to cpu utilization. Windows 11 seems to be waaaay more efficient.

I ended up upgrading my desktop franken-computer to Windows 11 also. It runs Blue Iris with 10 cams, and typically 20 Chrome tabs open at any given time. The cpu utilization with Windows 10 was consistently 7%-10% when idling. Windows 11 brought that down to 0%-2%.

Comment

I have a Intel NUC that runs HS only for me. Bought it in December 2016, probably been running non-stop since January 2017.
      https://www.newegg.com/intel-nuc5pgy...82E16883800009

It works fine, though I did end up adding some HDD storage to it. If I remember, I bought an external HDD, 'shucked it' and mounted it up inside. I think it had enoguh s torage, but not enough to download the windows updates. Or something like that, but it has been ticking without issue since then.

Comment

I use a laptop running Windows 10 Pro as my primary HS4 host. It's a Lenovo W530 with an older i7 and 32G of RAM. Way more than needed for HS but it was gifted to me when its support contract ended. I also have it connected to a UPS but that's really only for monitoring the UPS and coordinating an orderly shutdown of other equipment that's also on that UPS. I see good deals on refurbished laptops all the time but be aware you may need to replace the battery down the road.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

This is what I chose for my HS4 update: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I needed a bunch of USBs and a few RS232 COM ports for my connected devices, and I've learned over decades of automation PCs to get much more memory and processor than Microsoft and/or HST recommend, so I went with 16 GB in an i5. Initially, I was concerned about the quality of a no-name Chinese brand, but this thing has been great - no issues whatsoever. No heat, no noise.

I really like Windows 11 Pro - and make sure it is the Pro version so you can tweak. I changed to my other PCs to Windows 11 Pro also. Visually, Windows 11 is not significantly different than Windows 10, but I am finding 11 Pro to be much more stable and user-friendly than 10 - no more crashes. Some control has been given back to users with 11 - best of all, OS updates can now be easily controlled or stopped.
          Mark

Comment

What are the 5 USB devices? I had a bunch of Serial ports devices and moved to a Quatech over ethernet port, and used a AnyWhere USB device. This allowed me to moved to Windows on a VM which was far easier to maintain.

I recently jettisoned Windows altogether and now run HS on Linux in a docker container...

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I now use Beelink as well. They seems to have cutting edge technology at a good price point. Get it at Amazon or cheaper a month later from China. In my case it I bought it as a group-funded development at an attractive price. I was not in a hurry so could wait a couple months.. They have been in business for some time so the risk that the development would not complete was small. In my case it was a AMD 5900HX. I believe this year they have the 6900 series. I was using a RPi4 before that. It worked, but was not responsive in the UI. Significant price difference between 5900HX and RPi4 so it all depends upon your needs and desires.

Comment

Wow, this looks really great. Thanks for the link!

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
                This is what I chose for my HS4 update: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I needed a bunch of USBs and a few RS232 COM ports for my connected devices, and I've learned over decades of automation PCs to get much more memory and processor than Microsoft and/or HST recommend, so I went with 16 GB in an i5. Initially, I was concerned about the quality of a no-name Chinese brand, but this thing has been great - no issues whatsoever. No heat, no noise.

I really like Windows 11 Pro - and make sure it is the Pro version so you can tweak. I changed to my other PCs to Windows 11 Pro also. Visually, Windows 11 is not significantly different than Windows 10, but I am finding 11 Pro to be much more stable and user-friendly than 10 - no more crashes. Some control has been given back to users with 11 - best of all, OS updates can now be easily controlled or stopped.
                -Tim

Way2 Call
                Elk M1 Gold
                UPB HAI switches
                HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

I have a
                  USB

8 port rs232 box
                  current cost
                  zwave transceiver
                  keyboard
                  mouse

RS232
                  M1 Gold alarm
                  UPB transceiver
                  Omni serial thermostat

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                  What are the 5 USB devices? I had a bunch of Serial ports devices and moved to a Quatech over ethernet port, and used a AnyWhere USB device. This allowed me to moved to Windows on a VM which was far easier to maintain.

I recently jettisoned Windows altogether and now run HS on Linux in a docker container...
                  -Tim

Way2 Call
                  Elk M1 Gold
                  UPB HAI switches
                  HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
                    I think it's time to upgrade my HS PC. It's a Dell studio hybrid running Windows 7 with 2g of ram and a 2.10ghz Dual Core CPU. Years ago I replaced the drive with a 400gb ssd.

I'm running a decade old Dell laptop with almost the exact same specs. Zero issues with it and it's more than enough horsepower for HS4
                    Core 2 Duo
                    4GB ram
                    125GB SSD, partitioned into C: and D:

Total memory consumption is typically around 1.2GB after boot up, around 1.4GB after it's been running for a week. I auto reboot once a week over night.

I'm curious about your memory consumption? Are you pushing near the 2GB ram you have installed?

If you do decide to upgrade, I highly recommend getting a used laptop. The great thing about running a laptop is that it has a built-in UPS. You can configure Windows so that it still runs even with the laptop lid closed. Mine sits in a closet and I just remote into it whenever I need to configure anything.

Comment

I have a Lenovo m75q nano (256GB version & Win10 Pro Version), and I am quite pleased with it. There are no moving parts—completely silent. It uses very little power, and does not generate much heat. It uses a standard Lenovo power supply, so it's cheap to replace. It does ship with Windows 10 IoT; however, I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on it. It has 2 serial ports if you have a need for it. This system can be powered by a USB-C dock, or a power-supply.

Comment

Intel NUC
                        tenholde

Comment

I have a Lenovo I7 L420 with a 128GB SSD and 8GB of memory. It's 12 years old. It's been running HS for about a year. It takes up very little room. I bought a dock for it and that gave me 6 extra USB ports for a total of 9. $159 + $29 for the dock. I added a $20 keyboard and mouse combo so I could leave the laptop open on a top shelf and get to everything easily. It had W7 Pro on it when I got it, but it was still eligible for the W10 Pro upgrade.

Comment

The one nice thing I've found with Lenovo, Dell, HP, and I'm sure others, is the fact that the Windows license key is embedded into the hardware so installing/upgrading the OS is a breeze. I haven't run across a single branded machine that I haven't been able to upgrade to Windows 10 either Home or Pro.

Beware that most older laptops will not support Windows 11.
                            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Any thoughts on this?

https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp...?ref=w_gw_dd_3
                              -Tim

Way2 Call
                              Elk M1 Gold
                              UPB HAI switches
                              HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Working...
                              X