Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for replacement for WeatherXML (Darksky in particular)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for replacement for WeatherXML (Darksky in particular)

Being in Canada, I do not have a zip code. Saying that, I still run HS3 and use Jeff's great WeatherXML plugin. I also have one HSTouch client which displays weather information including a 5 day forecast located centrally which we always look at.The weather infomation is provided by Darksky and with Jeff's image replacement, I have changing images for the current day (large) and the next 4 days including temps forecasted for the given day. As the API for Darksky is ending at the end of this month, I'm looking for a replacement which I would implement when I finally migrate to HS4 in April. (yes, I'm a very late adopter, but it has served me well in the almost 20 years that I am approaching with Homeseer). If I could keep Jeff's plugin, I would but I know there's no chance of an API addition or change being added anymore.

Back to the issue of zip codes, weather access is provided as a default to any HSTouch project by Homeseer, but this is of no use in Canada where we don't have zip codes, but, rather have postal codes. Will I lose this ability now going forward or can someone recommend an HS4 pluging which would work as a replacement which can provide images and forecast for HSTouch?
    NOAA is U.S. only unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

I converted from WeatherXML to rnbWeather (russr999) and I am very happy with it. Many similar features as WeatherXML and the conversion of my HSTouch screens was fairly easy (current, hourly, daily forecasts). Of course, I'm in the US and use NOAA so I can't comment on the services that you might use in Canada but the core plugin and the NOAA integration work great for me.

Comment

I am not going to repeat what johnpeterson said but that's exactly what I did. Actually, I like rnbWeather even better than WeatherXML. It creates a bunch of devices instead of parsing XML files which makes things really easy. The plugin GUI is also very intuitive. Maybe WeatherXML has some more functions but rnbWeather does all that I need.

Comment

Hey thanks guys. Yes, rmbweather supports numerous weather sources I see and I appreciate your feedback on it. ​
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
        X