Smart Electrical Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Electrical Panel

I am contemplating upgrading our electrical panel (and sub panel) to smart panels. Has anyone done this and integrated it into HS? Note that our city has some rebates when upgrading to smart panels but there are of course conditions incl.

a) The smart panel must provide an interface for local control (via a REST API or similar industrial standard) and all must be documented.
    b) The panel must have an automatic load management system.

Searching the forum sparkman mentioned Leviton (https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...uit-monitoring) but I am not sure if there is an open API for it. I don't see anything on their website (https://www.leviton.com/en/products/...l/load-centers) and there is no plugin for it so I suspect it doesn't qualify due to a) above.

Does anyone use a smart panel that also integrates into HS?

Though I don't currently have one, I'm a big fan of the SPAN smart panel.

SPAN® Home | Smarter energy is here

They are currently finalizing a public API, many folks in the Home Assistant community have been interacting with the Span product manager, it's a long thread but worth reading through:
    Integration with Span? - Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I plan on building a new home in the next couple of years and fully intend to have a smart electrical panel and EV charger as part of the build.

Comment

TC1 I actually did look at that panel yesterday. It does look quite interesting and I am glad to hear they are adding an API. I just submitted a request for a quote.

Comment

Do y'all really want to make the public electric utility a controlling partner in your HA scheme? I know, if given that ability, our local utility will turn off HVAC (etc.) during times of peak load, allowing the house to get hot and causing the HVAC to struggle to bring the temperature back to a comfortable temperature (and in the depths of the summer that isn't going to happen until the wee hours of the AM). I can only guess that in cold weather the result would be similar, but the lowest it has been here this year is 26° F (so, no data).

For my part, my carefully crafted scripts have dropped my electric bill well over $100 since the first month I was here in this house. I don't need the utility circumventing that for their own (cross) purposes.
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
          Do y'all really want to make the public electric utility a controlling partner in your HA scheme? I know, if given that ability,
          That's the key statement, given the ability. Who says you have to? I know that even though I got a discount for my smart thermostats through my local utility, nobody forced me to sign up for their energy conservation program which would have given them the ability to do set-backs during peak demands. I'm not sure why you're implying that by getting a smart energy management system that you have to give up local control/autonomy.

The pluses to having a smart panel is automatic management and conservation of backup power during outages. The system will automatically prioritize what circuits are most important to you based on your input, without having to run extension cords, unplug things, etc. There's also prioritization of charging EVs overnight via stored power from your solar panels. Automatic monitoring of major appliance circuits to determine abnormalities which might indicate a future repair.

While it might be difficult to justify the cost of retrofitting, given a new home build, I can't see why anyone wouldn't want a smart panel (unless it breaks their build budget).

Comment

Actually, I got my initial position from your comment, "The smart panel must provide an interface for local control (via a REST API or similar industrial standard) and all must be documented." My assumption was that this would not be required if the utility didn't intend to use it. Maybe I got that wrong. Anyway, SquareD claims to have the "smartest" panel. YMMV.
            Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Not my comment, a requirement of the OP. And that SquareD panel looks like a strictly California type of product with the utility meter integrated into it... who the heck wants to go outside to reset a breaker or something else when it's raining/snowing/cold? In Cali it might not be a big deal, but other parts of the country...

Comment

Funny, I follow the Technology Connections guy on YT and he was discussing this in his latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLLNjSLJTQ

Just FYI.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                  Funny, I follow the Technology Connections guy on YT and he was discussing this in his latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLLNjSLJTQ

Just FYI.
                  Watched a short segment of it, he reiterated some of the arguments I made above. Truth be told, any new home built today in the US will have a 150 - 200 amp service feed to start with. Even my 100-year-old beachside bungalow was upgraded to 150-amp service after Hurricane Sandy flooded us. And having some major appliances use natural gas is more economic than electric in certain parts of the country (like where I live). I also like not being reliant on one power source, if the electric grid goes out, I can run a backup generator off of NG. Power management is still needed then since a reasonably priced residential backup generator will never deliver all the power needed for a modern home.

The application that appeals to me is power management to accommodate EVs, as battery and charging technology progresses, there will be a need for heavy duty charging circuits (>50amps) to do super fast charging. Power management becomes essential then.

Comment

This is true, even if it is not "cheaper," in the long run... it is much more practical after a tropical storm. I rely on electrical for HVAC, lighting, computer/Internet/TV and clothes drying, that's all. Everything else is LPG, with all of the salt and sand, here, NG is a non-starter, hell, we can't even keep the water mains and pressure sewers working for long between failures. We are served by an electrical cooperative and prior to the last major hurricane, their vendor Duke Power shut down the two nuclear reactors providing power for 2 weeks. We had to drive to Myrtle Beach just to see electric lights. Wish I had a "smart LPG gage" that I could access, mine phones home through 4G.

PS
                    Agreed that nobody around here is going to install breakers outside in the weather. That's nutz (and dangerous).
                    Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                      Actually, I got my initial position from your comment, "The smart panel must provide an interface for local control (via a REST API or similar industrial standard) and all must be documented." My assumption was that this would not be required if the utility didn't intend to use it. Maybe I got that wrong. Anyway, SquareD claims to have the "smartest" panel. YMMV.
                      That requirement for the rebate is to cover the event when the equipment manufacturer cannot provide cloud-based monitoring and a control platform anymore. I read this as the utility company doesn't want the smart panel to become a dumb panel if the smart panel depends on cloud services and that service stops due to the company going out of business, or being acquired and the new owner stops the cloud service, etc. My thinking is that this is a good thing. It would even allow us to disconnect the smart panel from the internet and control it through the API that the manufacturer must publish and document.

Comment

It may not be the case now, but the last time I looked at SPAN, you could not replace individual breakers yourself. You had to have a technician visit and shutoff the Mains in order to have it repaired. Again, this may have changed but was a non-starter for me.
                        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                          It may not be the case now, but the last time I looked at SPAN, you could not replace individual breakers yourself. You had to have a technician visit and shutoff the Mains in order to have it repaired. Again, this may have changed but was a non-starter for me.
                          That's a bummer. Thanks for pointing this out. I will check with them when they get back to me.

Btw, there are some other companies with smart panels but none mention an open API.

Leviton https://www.leviton.com/en/products/...l/load-centers
                          Schneider Electric https://shop.se.com/us/en/connected-home/energy-center
                          Lumin https://www.luminsmart.com/platform/...ectrical-panel

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                            They only need to know what was changed so that the app can be updated for your setup. Everything I've read/viewed indicates you can use whatever breakers you want (one video shows a homeowner review where he utilized all his previous breakers from his old panel).

Adding Circuit Breakers, Solar, Batteries to Your SPAN Panel – SPAN
                            Adding or Modifying Breakers (Circuits) In Your SPAN Panel – SPAN

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

They only need to know what was changed so that the app can be updated for your setup. Everything I've read/viewed indicates you can use whatever breakers you want (one video shows a homeowner review where he utilized all his previous breakers from his old panel).

Adding Circuit Breakers, Solar, Batteries to Your SPAN Panel – SPAN
                              Adding or Modifying Breakers (Circuits) In Your SPAN Panel – SPAN
                              That's why I qualified my comments. Good to know that's no longer the case.
                              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
                              X