Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WiFi Devices

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    WiFi Devices

    So far I did stick with all z-wave devices plus a few RF and zigbee devices when I couldn't find any z-wave versions. Basically, I tried to stay away from anything that isn't natively supported by HS.

    Yesterday, I ordered a Kasa Outdoor Smart Dimmer Plug thinking it was a z-wave plug. I only realized it was WiFi when I tried to include it today. I know there is a tp-link (the company that creates the Kasa devices) plugin. It's half the price of a z-wave version but it's not natively supported by HS. I am still a bit reluctant to expand to WiFi as I would need a plugin for each brand and when the plugin isn't supported anymore and an issue arises I am out of luck. Maybe I am overly concerned but what are other people's experience with and opinion about WiFi devices?

    #2
    I've got my eye on this as well. $20 for dual outlet control. But apparently it is TP-Link cloud dependent first and foremost.

    I "assume" the TP-Link plug-in bridges to the TP-Link app, not directly to the device.

    Still hopeful!

    Comment


      #3

      AFAIK, they aren't cloud-dependent, but the cloud can be used for ID and control. For me, the app just gets the device on the local network. After that, the PI takes over control, etc., yet doesn't prohibit cloud control. One can use the TP-Link search method or just use a standard network broadcast (my choice) to find a device.

      On another matter, I bought one of the outdoor dimmers (KP405) and was very displeased with the way that it dimmed the bulb. It wouldn't go low enough to suit me so I removed it from the network. I've yet to find anything it is good for, other than a switch. I hope you won't find that a problem with your application.
      HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.18.1
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Desktop
      Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
      Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
      WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

      Enabled Plug-Ins
      AK Weather 4.0.5.37,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.34.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 3.3.1.0,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 3.30.1003.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,LG ThinQ 4.0.24.0,rnbWeather 4.4.0.0,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.4,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 3.0.11.0 2

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
        On another matter, I bought one of the outdoor dimmers (KP405) and was very displeased with the way that it dimmed the bulb. It wouldn't go low enough to suit me so I removed it from the network. I've yet to find anything it is good for, other than a switch. I hope you won't find that a problem with your application.
        Is it the dimmer or your bulbs? I have some bulbs that won't dim low enough so I switched dimmers. Same problem. So I switched bulbs, problem gone.

        Comment


          #5
          That is a good question. The setup app asks questions and I think I was using an LED bulb, so that may have screwed me. An incandescent may be much more satisfactory. One other reason I threw the towel in on that attempt was that my Netgear R8000P router did not play well with TP-Link devices and some other devices, too. I have everything on either static IP or DHCP reservation and the router would ignore lease times, reservations, and report that I had as many as 3 devices on one IP address (with some not having been on the network in months), with everything still working! I replaced the router and everything is working perfectly. I may give the dimmer another try...

          Too many competing screwups to give an accurate report!
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.18.1
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

          Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK Weather 4.0.5.37,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.34.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 3.3.1.0,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 3.30.1003.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,LG ThinQ 4.0.24.0,rnbWeather 4.4.0.0,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.4,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 3.0.11.0 2

          Comment


            #6
            Yeah, I changed from one manufacturer LED bulb to a different LED manufacturer and it solved the problem. Of course incandescent bulbs are never a problem.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by mulu View Post
              So far I did stick with all z-wave devices plus a few RF and zigbee devices when I couldn't find any z-wave versions. Basically, I tried to stay away from anything that isn't natively supported by HS.

              Yesterday, I ordered a Kasa Outdoor Smart Dimmer Plug thinking it was a z-wave plug. I only realized it was WiFi when I tried to include it today. I know there is a tp-link (the company that creates the Kasa devices) plugin. It's half the price of a z-wave version but it's not natively supported by HS. I am still a bit reluctant to expand to WiFi as I would need a plugin for each brand and when the plugin isn't supported anymore and an issue arises I am out of luck. Maybe I am overly concerned but what are other people's experience with and opinion about WiFi devices?
              You should try the HS Tuya plugin. I use the Tuya plugin with several wall plugs like these (replaced all of my X10 plugs).
              -Rupp
              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Rupp View Post

                You should try the HS Tuya plugin. I use the Tuya plugin with several wall plugs like these (replaced all of my X10 plugs).​
                But that assumes Tuya hardware or flashing firmware, yes? no?

                Are Tuya and Kasa compatible?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Homeseer Tuya plugin is for devices mentioned by Rupp. IE:

                  Amazon

                  Flashing Tasmota firmware and using MQTT is a totally different thing. Look here for a list of Tasmota compatible devices.

                  Tasmota Supported Devices Repository

                  - Pete

                  Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

                  HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets - Asus AIO

                  X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by racerfern View Post

                    But that assumes Tuya hardware or flashing firmware, yes? no?

                    Are Tuya and Kasa compatible?
                    No flashing required when using the devices I linked with the HS Tuya plugin. I use the Tuya app, add the device, then import them into HS4 and control.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Many (most?) WiFi devices appear to be targeted towards non/low-tech consumers who just want to control a few lights. Scan a QR code to download an app, create a free account, have the app search for the device, add it to your WiFI network and to your account. Done. All of these devices depend on an internet connection since they are cloud based. There's already several discussions on this topic, including a few with links to pre-loaded Tasmota devices.
                      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Rupp View Post

                        No flashing required when using the devices I linked with the HS Tuya plugin. I use the Tuya app, add the device, then import them into HS4 and control.
                        And control locally, or still redirected through the app? IOW, can you remove the Tuya Authorization?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by racerfern View Post

                          And control locally, or still redirected through the app? IOW, can you remove the Tuya Authorization?
                          I've got 5 HS-SP100 plugs that initially require Tuya to add to my WiFi network. I do use the Tuya app on my phone to control these. But HS4 controls them all locally. I've verified local control by shutting down my internet connection, and they still work.
                          There's a setting you have to switch on in the HS4 device to enable local control.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I download the Kasa app and tried to configure the device without creating an account. I didn't find any such option. According to a web search that option was taken away in the second half of 2022 (before you could click on create account but then skip over the account creation step). So I created an account and added the outlet to the app which was uneventful. So then I tried the Tuya plugin by installing the plugin and creating a Tuya account and then tried to do the authorization in the plugin. However, that fails with "The account password does not match." Never mind that there is no place to enter a password. There is just one field to enter the email address (or phone number if that is your account number).

                            I then tried the TPLinkSmartHome4 plugin. It did add my device when selecting the option "use Kasa/Tapo" but then gave an error and showed the device as offline. So it got the device from my account but for some reason can't connect to it through wireless. I went to the device settings and entered the IP manually (claiming it is static) but that didn't help, either.

                            Since I didn't mean to buy a WiFi plug in the first place I will just leave it at this and spend close to $40 for a z-wave version (instead of the $20 for WiFi).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              mulu I'll let you know if I have any better luck. Mine arrives in a day or two.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X