No announcement yet.

Sending text messages via Twilio: telecom industry introduces new requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending text messages via Twilio: telecom industry introduces new requirements

There isn't a separate discussion area for the Twilio plugin, so I'm posting this news here:

If you currently have a Twilio phone number that you are using to send text messages via the HS Twilio plugin, you will likely have to stop doing that. The telephone industry is implementing new controls over sending application-to-person text messages, to reduce spam and fraud. An application sending text messages via a 10-digit phone number must now register that phone number as a campaign, with various registration and ongoing fees.

If you are willing and able to successfully register your campaign and pay the fees, you can continue using Twilio. Otherwise, it's time to delete the plugin and any actions that use it.

I've attached the letter I received today from Twilio for reference.
    Attached Files

I interpret that email I received from Twilio if SMS was used for personal use you can register as a sole proprietor brand for a $4 fee on and after April 17th 2023? I do not use the plug-in, I use scripts to send SMS and place phone calls.

The language in that long email is very confusing but the last line I understood. "Messages from unregistered numbers 'may' be filtered or blocked."

It has been very dependable for me for years but I don't use their SMS feature that often. Mostly SMS alerts for water sensor low batteries, check oil tank level, change AC filter, etc. for family. The more urgent items I use Twilio scripts to place group phone calls to the family members when more important items need immediate attention.

I guess we will wait and see how the SMS feature will change.

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
      I interpret that email I received from Twilio if SMS was used for personal use you can register as a sole proprietor brand for a $4 fee on and after April 17th 2023? I do not use the plug-in, I use scripts to send SMS and place phone calls.

The language in that long email is very confusing but the last line I understood. "Messages from unregistered numbers 'may' be filtered or blocked."

It has been very dependable for me for years but I don't use their SMS feature that often. Mostly SMS alerts for water sensor low batteries, check oil tank level, change AC filter, etc. for family. The more urgent items I use Twilio scripts to place group phone calls to the family members when more important items need immediate attention.

I guess we will wait and see how the SMS feature will change.
      That's exactly what I said in my post:

If you are willing and able to successfully register your campaign and pay the fees, you can continue using Twilio.
      Note that there are a couple of one-time fees, plus the existing fee to rent your number, plus a monthly campaign fee. The "may be filtered or blocked" part is more than "may be"; it's likely "will be", since your number won't be registered in the 10DLC campaign database.

Comment

I moved my notifications to Pushover years ago when Verizon and ATT became so unreliable. I think there's another big one called Telegraph or Telegram that also has a plugin.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

what a shame. The SMS was a nice service while it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
            I moved my notifications to Pushover years ago when Verizon and ATT became so unreliable. I think there's another big one called Telegraph or Telegram that also has a plugin.
            Yeah I use Pushover as well for back up personally but it was nice that other family members didn't have to load the app on their phones.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post
              There isn't a separate discussion area for the Twilio plugin, so I'm posting this news here:

If you currently have a Twilio phone number that you are using to send text messages via the HS Twilio plugin, you will likely have to stop doing that. The telephone industry is implementing new controls over sending application-to-person text messages, to reduce spam and fraud. An application sending text messages via a 10-digit phone number must now register that phone number as a campaign, with various registration and ongoing fees.

If you are willing and able to successfully register your campaign and pay the fees, you can continue using Twilio. Otherwise, it's time to delete the plugin and any actions that use it.

I've attached the letter I received today from Twilio for reference.
              I'll continue sending text messages via email as I always have as it's not effected by these changes since I am not a business (at least when sending myself messages). When they do away with that eventually, will probably switch over to Telegram. Already have a couple of bots set up where I monitor uptime and stuff like that anyway, wouldn't be a huge switch.

Comment

Working...
              X