Com port communications question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anogee
    In a related question, can HomeSeer open a TCP/IP(WinSock) connection for communication? Hyperterminal seems to have the ability to do this. Just select TCP/IP(WinSock) instead of a com port.

If the answer is no, does anyone know of any simple shareware that could convert a TCP/IP(WinSock) connection so it "looks" like a virtual com port to HomeSeer? In other words, if I sent characters to Com Port #6, for example, the data from HomeSeer would really be going to TCP//IP connection 192.168.0.10 port 1000, for example.
    Take a look at some of the stuff George Photakis was developing:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...t=photakis+tcp

Comment

Georges add in works great. I use it to send commands via TCP/IP. I have asked George for the newest version of the add in because it has the ability to listen to the socket.

Rob

Comment

Thanks. Any idea where I can download it from? The beta link in this previous thread seems broken for me. The plugin looks great and exactly what I need.

Comment

Yup, it looks like that's another thing that didn't get carried over from the old board.

I'll package it up and submit it to the updater in a couple days.

Comment

That will be great. Thanks.

Comment

Now back to my question

I'll restate it. Is there a way to use a software package to emulate a com port connection without actually have a physical cable connection to another device?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                Now back to my question

I'll restate it. Is there a way to use a software package to emulate a com port connection without actually have a physical cable connection to another device?
                Rupp,

I use VMWare to run multiple OS systems and test computers on my main pc. It has the ability to make virtual serial connections to the main pc. But, if you don't own VMWare it's a bit expensive for just serial port testing. Just thought I'd mention it.

Also, I use a program called Serial Monitor. It can watch the serial traffic in and out of the PC and I believe you can also intercept/modify data being sent.
                The Serial Monitor does:
                • work with any software that opens a serial port and initiate communication through it.
                • intercept all data read from and written to the serial port.
                • intercept and process all serial input/output control codes (IOCTLs), providing the full dump of their parameters.
                • support data logging. An entire monitoring session can be logged (recorded) and then played back later.
                • format data into different kinds of output, thus providing user with a full set of information.
                • support copying to clipboard and export capabilities.
                • work in Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000/XP workstation/server operating systems.
                • fully compatible with ACPI features, allowing you to bring the computer to standby/hibernate mode while running Serial Monitor.
                • emulate data sending on behalf of monitored application.
                You can find Serial Monitor here http://www.hhdsoftware.com. I don't remember but it wasn't very expensive.

Mike

Comment

Did you see the portmon post?
                  Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Thanks Mike and ZoomCat.

Zoom,
                    Will portmon allow me to connect to the same port that HS has captured and "act" like a virtual serial device? I tried RealTerm but it states the port is already in use.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I can't speak to how homeseer will act or a virtual serial device, but I can start portmon, then open hyperterminal and send letters and such and portmon displays the action. I can echo bytes to the com port and they are displayed. It appears to be useful in displaying what is going on with the com port if that is what you are interested in.
                      Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Rupp,

Portmon and others of its ilk are internal port monitors. I personally use the product HDD serial monitor. it is not free but costs less than $80.

The issue is that what you want to do (my understanding) is a simulation of the foriegn device not just observing the traffic. That is a whole other ball game.

The method I have used is to write a separate program that grabs a port and acts like the foreign device. The program is generally table driven and when it receives some data it looks the message up in its receive table and then sends back the answer. You then cable the two ports together (one from the program to be tested, and the other from the simulation program). the program becomes very useful as all you have to do is change the tables to have it sort of simulate any device at the logical level.

There is no issue of multiple ports, the simulation program has no idea of Homeseer, it can be run on another computer (say a laptop). The downside is that it is a logical (message level) simulation. Timing is not the same as the real thing, but it gets yu very far along very quickly. naturally the simulation program could provide a window showing all received and sent traffic.

For a competent communications programmer in VB I'd say about 20-30 hours to get such a program to a useful state.

Maybe when i finish my current projects (Standby electric generator with interface to homeseer, RFID plugin beta testing for Homeseer, .... I will think about this one. I have most of the code needed sitting around

Comment

Working...
                        X