doorbell triggering event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doorbell triggering event

So what would be the best way to integrate my existing doorbell with HS?

Perhaps I should be a little less vague :-D

I have my standard, hardwired doorbell cicruit in my house.
    When someone rings said doorbell, I want it to trigger an event in HS.
    Two caveats: I'd like to not have to replace the existing doorbell circuit as this would send the WAF through the floor. Secondly, if there's any way to do this wirelessly, even better.

I'm envisioning an x10 switch inline in the doorbell circuit, but I think that might be oversimplifying.

I yield to your greater wisdom.

What I would do is wire a small relay in parallel with your doorbell. The contacts of the relay would then be used as the contact-closure for a RF door-window switch. The switch activation would be seen by the W800. If you do not have a W800, then there is a simple hack were the photoresistor of a hawkeye motion senor is cut and replaced with a resistor that goes to the relay contact closure. The relay coil voltage rating will be the same as the transformer associated with the doorbell. I think it is around 18 to 24VAC for most of these.

Comment

cubedweller,
      This had been covered several times. Here is the most recent discussion from a couple of days ago. A search will turn up more information as well.
      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...light=doorbell
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
        cubedweller,
        This had been covered several times. Here is the most recent discussion from a couple of days ago. A search will turn up more information as well.
        http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...light=doorbell
        Thanks for the link - many of the search results I found did not pertain to my information, but delving deeper I have found most of the answers.

Thanks folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry
          What I would do is wire a small relay in parallel with your doorbell. The contacts of the relay would then be used as the contact-closure for a RF door-window switch. The switch activation would be seen by the W800. If you do not have a W800, then there is a simple hack were the photoresistor of a hawkeye motion senor is cut and replaced with a resistor that goes to the relay contact closure. The relay coil voltage rating will be the same as the transformer associated with the doorbell. I think it is around 18 to 24VAC for most of these.
          Michael,
          Not being an electronics oriented type could you offer a Radio Shack part number for this application?

TIA
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X