Cracking Buttons on ZEN32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracking Buttons on ZEN32

Today, while working on another project in the same room, I noticed that the ZEN32 scene controller has a couple of buttons that are cracking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4369.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1608239

This controller is seldom used since the room is mostly controlled by time-of-day events that can be overridden by a tablet running HSTile. The controller is about 2 years old and the only thing I can think of is temperature or moisture since it is on an outside wall of the house. The buttons and LEDs both still work just fine.

I haven't reached out to Zooz yet but plan to do that in the morning.

Thoughts?
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

It's literally outside, or it's inside but mounted in an exterior wall?

If exposed directly to sunlight then yeah, that looks like UV damage.

Comment

Casting flaw? If there's one there's a whole bunch.

Comment

The bottom right button looks like it is starting to crack too.
        Jon

Comment

TC1 It is inside, installed in an exterior wall. I never thought about UV as a cause. While that room is fairly sunny, the windows are 83% UV blocking. Not the latest 97% blocking, but still efficient.

I've sent pictures to Zooz asking them for guidance. I'm not against replacing the faceplate but I'd like to take steps to keep if from happening again.

jon00 Thanks. I hadn't noticed that but it adds to the mystery. That button is not even assigned to anything.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

It will be interesting to see if they offer to send replacement buttons, no questions asked, which might indicate this is a common occurrence?

Welp, my GoogleFu turned this up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B09B6S4TSL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B09B6S4TSL

Comment

Interesting indeed. I bought one of these in October 2021 and it's been unused, in original packaging ever since. Just checked and no cracking. Seems from your description and the amazon reviews TC1 linked that UV isn't likely the culprit--or at least the main issue. So maybe heat from the device and/or LEDs? Internal stresses introduced during fabrication? And almost certainly material quality and/or dimensions insufficient for the purpose.
              -Wade

Comment

I agree that this is Interesting. One thing to note is this is the only ZEN32 I have where I control the LEDs. All others the LEDs remain off.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                  I agree that this is Interesting. One thing to note is this is the only ZEN32 I have where I control the LEDs. All others the LEDs remain off.
                  Notice how the cracks start around the LEDs?... They accidentally put in laser LEDs and they're obliterating the buttons over time.

Hey, it could happen

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Notice how the cracks start around the LEDs?... They accidentally put in laser LEDs and they're obliterating the buttons over time.

Hey, it could happen
                    So that's what's killing the plant in front of that controller?

Comment

I have one ZEN32 installed. It is rarely used other than the primary button for lighting. The other buttons are functional, but seldom used. It was in use for between a year and two years before the buttons began to crack. Mostly we use LED colors for messaging. My old contact at The Smartest House did not respond to my request for replacement. It is still working, so I kinda just dropped it for now.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Wow... so we have at least two confirmed users here with buttons cracking, plus other reviewers on Amazon. Seems like this is not an isolated incident, the question is whether the units were manufactured around the same time period.
                        And does Zooz even acknowledge that it's an issue?
                        If so, have they made any improvements?

Comment

Wow... so we have at least two confirmed users here with buttons cracking, plus other reviewers on Amazon. Seems like this is not an isolated incident, the question is whether the units were manufactured around the same time period.
                          I took the wall cover off and there's a printed code on the metal that says "0121". I suspect that's the Date/Lot Code since I purchased this one in March of 2021.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DLC.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1608385

randy If you get a minute, can you check the code on yours?

Also, since the Amazon reviews are from June and November 2022, with the later states they purchased it in May 2022, I don't think there's been any improvements. If I paid $50 for a laser etched faceplate and it cracked in less than a year, I would not be very unhappy.

Comment

I’ve had two plates with same crack at different intervals. I did receive replacements. The first was identical to original plate and second replacement had a black plastic spacer behind the buttons. Perhaps this spacer is to help mitigate a gap as pressure is applied to the buttons. I am very gentle when pushing these zen32s

Comment

Almost off topic, but Zooz is the house brand of www.thesmartesthouse.com. I didn't have a good experience with them on their first version power strip. Three of the five went bad during a power outage and they said it was because the power being drawn was too low. All I had was power supplies for some RPi3s and an external hard drive. I guess I should have plugged in the the iron, coffee maker and toaster oven. Of course, they never published my one star review.

I hope you all have better luck with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X