Spotify Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotify Integration

I was a little disappointed when I did a forum search to find that there isn't much support for Spotify. It's something that's been on my wife's request list for a while now so I thought I'd investigate. Spotify appears to have good developer support so I'm wondering why no integration?

There are a few Node-RED nodes that support the Web API, so I may play around with those.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Hey kenm - I've started writing a plug-in for this. I'm curious to hear more about the scenarios you have in mind.

Comment

avargaskun That's great to hear. Our typical usage is background music while we work around the house or in the backyard. It involves using the Spotify app on a phone that's paired to a bluetooth receiver connected to a multi-zone audio amp. I would prefer to have the Spotify app running all of the time on the HS system, which is already wired to the AV amp for announcements. My wife and I like similar music so someone usually just picks a playlist and lets it roll. Pause/Play for a conversation and the occasional Skip if it's a song neither of us like.

Let me put a little more thought into it and see what else I come up with.
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

We have a very similar setup, i.e. background music for the office, shower, backyard, etc. We just cast music from Spotify to a certain location (one Chromecast device per speaker zone on the multichannel amp). I am not sure how HS helps with this. We just go to the Spotify app and select artists, start/pause music, etc. I very much dislike separate apps for different devices and I want everything controlled from one app. Music/Spotify and maybe security cameras are the only exceptions (security cameras only due to technical reasons).

Comment

Following, I use Spotify through my Google speakers sometimes selecting the song in the Spotify app and then selecting the speaker I want. Other times I ask Google to play what I want to hear. Google automatically goes to Spotify to get the song to be played.

However, I've never seen any of the Google devices display any info in the device regardless of the source. Then there's the issue of while music is playing, someone rings the front door bell triggering an event that announces "Someone is at the door". After the announcement the music doesn't continue playing.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
            Following, I use Spotify through my Google speakers sometimes selecting the song in the Spotify app and then selecting the speaker I want. Other times I ask Google to play what I want to hear. Google automatically goes to Spotify to get the song to be played.

However, I've never seen any of the Google devices display any info in the device regardless of the source. Then there's the issue of while music is playing, someone rings the front door bell triggering an event that announces "Someone is at the door". After the announcement the music doesn't continue playing.
            That is pretty much how we are using Spotify. We go to the Spotify app and cast music to particular speakers. Or we ask Alexa to play certain music in which case music is played through Alexa and not the ceiling/outdoor/etc speakers.

I can't comment on music automatically resume after an announcement. I should experiment with that more (I don't use announcement a lot except for dryer and washer being done).

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
              We have a very similar setup, i.e. background music for the office, shower, backyard, etc. We just cast music from Spotify to a certain location (one Chromecast device per speaker zone on the multichannel amp). I am not sure how HS helps with this. We just go to the Spotify app and select artists, start/pause music, etc. I very much dislike separate apps for different devices and I want everything controlled from one app. Music/Spotify and maybe security cameras are the only exceptions (security cameras only due to technical reasons).
              Having to use the Spotify app vs. a custom UI would be the main driver for HS integration. Also, having HS integration would allow music to be paused for an announcement and then resumed. As the example above, someone comes up the driveway or rings the front doorbell.

Comment

+1
                HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                Home Assistant 2024.3
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Having to use the Spotify app vs. a custom UI would be the main driver for HS integration. Also, having HS integration would allow music to be paused for an announcement and then resumed. As the example above, someone comes up the driveway or rings the front doorbell.
                  For me it's not such an issue because music goes through the Chromecast devices and announcements through Alexa devices. Granted the music isn't lowered when an announcement is made but usually we don't blast music (on occasions I do, though). Plus everyone is familiar with using Spotify, even when we have guest that want to play some music. But everyone has different scenarios.

Comment

On a loosely related matter, does Spotify allow more than one user of the same account to stream music simultaneously. I do have paid Pandora account and I'm really pissed by the fact that it doesn't allow two users to stream simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by puma View Post
                      On a loosely related matter, does Spotify allow more than one user of the same account to stream music simultaneously. I do have paid Pandora account and I'm really pissed by the fact that it doesn't allow two users to stream simultaneously.
                      I do not believe so but I am not 100% sure. We have a family account which does allow multiple users playing music at the same time. Each then also has his/her own history, suggestions, play lists, etc.

Comment

It depends on the plan type. An individual plan only has one user account, so only one stream at a time. A family plan can have up to 6 user accounts and, other than billing, they are independent of each other. With Spotify, there is no such thing as more than one user per account.

Comment

We have a Spotify family account, each has their own logins, playlists, etc but I do notice that each logon is only allowed to playback on one device at a time which kind of makes sense. Unless I am doing something wrong all this time?

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
                            We have a Spotify family account, each has their own logins, playlists, etc but I do notice that each logon is only allowed to playback on one device at a time which kind of makes sense. Unless I am doing something wrong all this time?
                            Same here. If I recall correctly it works for a short time on two devices. Maybe just for the buffered music. We don't really run into this issue, though. Each of us has their own Spotify on their phones. If we don't listen directly on the phone then we cast into whatever room that person is located, e.g. bedroom, office, shower, garage, etc. Then we use one account for all the Alexa devices. I am pretty much the only person that plays music through Alexa (when cooking) so we don't have any conflicts there, either.

Comment

Hey all! Quick update. I have an initial version of the plug-in with limited functionality. Looking for brave testers to get early feedback before I put it on the HomeSeer plug-in downloader tool.

Because the app is still in the sandbox, I meed to enable each account that plans to use the app individually. Unfortunately there are only 23 spots. If you're interested, please share the email you use to sign into Spotify, either reply here or email it to support@avglabs.net

Comment

Working...
                              X