Use for an old PDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use for an old PDA

I have an old HP 200LX that is no longer being used. It is a DOS-based palmtop PC. I read an article elsewhere that suggested using an old PDA's screen to display info.

I have an old copy of Turbo Pascal on the palmtop that I could use to write a DOS app. I could then leave the unit plugged in all the time and display info generated from either the palmtop's COM port or PCMCIA modem.

Any other ideas?
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

If you come up with any ideas please let me know! :-) I have so many old PDA's around that I usually end up giving them away or throwing them away. Right now I have an extra HP200LX, a Handspring Visor Platinum and just gave away an HP Jornada 540. My current PDA is an iPAQ 2215, I guess I'm a PDA junkie... ;-)

Mick

Comment

If you ever go into a Lowe's Home Improvement store, look for a box mounted to the wall. Inside this box you'll see what looks like an old Palm PDA. They have some system, security, inventory, time clock, etc. don't know, but it appears the system uses the PDA as a user interface and maybe a processor. Maybe next time I go in I'll ask them what it does. I've gone to a few Lowe's and they all seem to have it but you do have to search. Its pretty strange, but a novel use for a PDA.

Comment

I have been looking into this and surely this could make one of the best remotes ever, just write a website designed for PDA page size with HA buttons with everydevice in house, host his on a local pc, add a wifi card to the pda. link to the web site and you have the best most functional remote control EVER!!!

ps if you need to get rid of a pda i want one for this purpose!!! PLEASE!!!!!
        Stu

Comment

I have this feeling that Jim's DOS based PDA doesn't support either a web browser or Wi-Fi card. :-)

A few years ago I found a TV remote program that ran on a Palm PDA. I put in on my wife's PDA, but the IR rage on it was pretty poor. Worked good otherwise, though.

Comment

Originally posted by trouty00
            I have been looking into this and surely this could make one of the best remotes ever, just write a website designed for PDA page size with HA buttons with everydevice in house, host his on a local pc, add a wifi card to the pda. link to the web site and you have the best most functional remote control EVER!!!

ps if you need to get rid of a pda i want one for this purpose!!! PLEASE!!!!!
            Stu
            Stu,

That's already available for a PDA. Look at NetRemote http://www.promixis.com/products.php?section=netremote

Full HomeSeer control and support of NetRemote available for free in the hsGirder forum.

Comment

The HP200LX had a couple of pretty bad web browsers available for it, but they were text based. I really can't see a 200LX being of much use without a custom program. It doesn't even have a backlight.

The Palm/Visor would be a little more useful, but I was never very pleased with the performance of the browsers, and the lack of color irritates me even more.

Mick

Comment

Working...
              X