Weather plugin to turn outdoor lights on earlier when it's overcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather plugin to turn outdoor lights on earlier when it's overcast

I see there is a "Weather' section of the forum, but you have to choose a specific free plugin area to post, so I thought I'd post it here.

I want a weather plugin that will tell me when it's overcast, so I can turn outside lights on sooner.

There are sooo many weather plugins.

Can someone tell me if there's one that can make decisions based on rain and/or cloud cover, anything that would make it dark sooner at sunset. Thanks!

I use ambient weather with an ambient weather station. You can use the solar radiation level to proxy overcast.

Comment

I'm not sure you need a weather plug-in. Depending on the technology you utilize, a light sensitive motion sensor (HomeSeer Motion Sensor z-wave or Aqara motion sensor for zigbee) amongst others will give you a lux level that can be easily tied to an event for light control.

Comment

I also use the solar energy from my weather station. We currently consider low light to be below 10,000 lux. I use a 4 minute timer. When it has been below 10,000 for 4 minutes a “Low Light” virtual device is turned on. If the luminance goes above 20,000 I turn it off. The virtual device is used for lighting and motion controlled lighting.

We used to have an Aeotec motion sensor on the west side of the house, but found the weather station to be a more accurate reflection of ambient light.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks guys! I don't have a light sensing device so I used one of the free weather plug-ins and an hour before it's time for the lights to come on I check the percentage of cloud cover. If it's above 80% I come on early.

Basing it on lux would be much more accurate. I might go that way in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A bit off the main topic....

Look for a DIY post relating to using a BH1750FVI Digital Light Illumination Sensor and my current upgraded Sonoff to Tasmota TH16 in the next couple of weeks.

BH1750 ambient light sensor

Ambient Light Sensor IC Series

​Ordered a couple of sensors from Amazon and getting them tomorrow.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by wkrasner View Post
              I use ambient weather with an ambient weather station. You can use the solar radiation level to proxy overcast.
              How are you accomplishing this? Plugin, other method? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X