Device Polling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Polling

I dunno if this has been posted before, but I have random issues where events when run, do not properly send the X10 commands to my switchlinc devices and I have to manually run the event again for it to work. The log shows that the event ran, x10 commands were sent, but nothing happened. Could be noise on the line, but unsure. I am using the old CM11 device which I will be upgrading to the USB interface soon.

I don't see a way through the GUI event properties to go and repoll the devices after a minute or two in the event to ensure that the device was set the way you want it.

Is there any way to do this easily or does this require some time of recurring script. I have a lot of event/script dependencies and making yet another recurring script to run could just clutter up my configuration. Maybe have a recurring script set to look for any last event runs and then poll based on what was returned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

There is the check mark on the HS GUI that is for check status that polls all the pollable devices. The only other way is to use polldevice in a script. There is a good example of using this in the HS help files.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yeah I saw that check box, but that does not help during the execution of an event to check that the device did indeed receive the command that you desired, so if there was something occurring on the line and the device missed the command, Homeseer is not smart enough to retransmit that command to the device.

It sure would be nice if there was something built in that do this outside of creating all of these scripts.

I will dig in to the scripting side of this to get this polling to work just right. The main reason for all of this is that my sunrise/sunset scenes sometimes fail because of transmissions problems so I guess, so the devices miss their commands which is really annoying. Having to run the event a couple of times is crazy in my book.

Comment

Mike,
        You can look at this 2 ways. You can either fix the code to check to see if your device received the command or fix the problem of why the device is not receiving the command. Do you have a coupler/repeater?

It shouldn't be too hard to create a script that is triggered by the first event to check the status of a device X number of seconds later.

Something like.
        - current event runs and in the script to run field you use &hs.DelayTrigger 20, "check lights"

This could run the check lights event that hs a script that
        hs.PollDevice "A1"
        status = hs.DeviceStatus("A1")
        if status = 2 then
        msgbox "The device is ON"
        elseif status = 3 then
        msgbox "The device is OFF"
        hs.TriggerEvent "The original event"
        end if

Comment

Yes, I have the Leviton coupler/repeater currently installed. I cannot find out if there is anything else in the house that may be causing this. Maybe the USB powerlinc may boost my signal on the line and may help that situation. I will try that first.

Thanks for the script info as that looks like an easy alternative for checking this.

Thanks for the prompt responses!!

Mike

Comment

Your welcome and good luck.

Comment

What's the usb version of the cm11a?

Comment

JasonW,
                He was referring to the USB Powerlinc device.

Comment

Working...
                X