How to use timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use timers

Hello, I want to use use timers to turn off lights, but can't understand the dynamics on using them in the event, can someone help me understand the concept please..
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

1) Create a Timer under Tools, Timers/Counters
    2, a) use events to start (resets timer to zero), stop, resume or set to time.
    2, b) remember to stop a timer when not in use, it will count down indefinitely
    3) use event triggers to trigger on the appropriate Timer value

so, as an example, you create a Timer "Hall Light Timer"
    you then create an event that triggers when your Hall Light changes and becomes on. The action of the event starts your Hall Light Timer
    a 2nd event then triggers when the Hall Light Timer becomes 5min (or alternatively is more than 5 min); the action then turns the Hall Light off and stops the Hall Light Timer.

With that said, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, here are 3 other options

1) I use the EasyTrigger plugin for the lights I want to turn off after x time. The reason I use it is that my hall light is a dimmer, so it's not just on/off.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-25 220345.png
Views:	328
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1611737

2) Here is my old event where I used a delayed action to turn the light off. if your light is a dimmer, you'd need two triggers 1. device just changed or set, 2. And is not off. I'm a big fan of delayed actions. remember you can delete a delayed action with another event if another event triggers.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-25 220735.png
Views:	249
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1611738

3) You could also have a recurring event trigger ​that repeats every 5 seconds
    Then you use conditional actions for each of the lights you want to turn off on a timer. The one nice thing is you can set up one event with all your timed light control. Having all your timed light controls in one event could also be a negative if you, like me, disable events to override the automated timer. You may note this version only works for on/off devices. for a dimmer your first conditional argument would be 'Has been: Any Value'. you'd then add in a 2nd conditional trigger 'And Device has a value that is not Off'

Name:	image.png
Views:	255
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1611739
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

You might find something in this thread. I put my 2 cents in in post Non-HomeSeer Related How do you setup your motion enabled lighting events - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

For the basic using a timer scenario:

- create a timer with a suitable name
        - create your start event which does something (or triggers off something) and then uses the action "Start Timer"
        - create your end event which triggers on "A timer's value becomes..." the time you want
        - in the end event stop the timer (for neatness, it doesn't actually matter), and do what you need

The names of the timer actions aren't necessarily clear - they're actually:

Start = Start from zero (including setting it running)
        Stop = Pause running
        Resume = Resume running
        Set to time = Set to time but do not change the running / paused state

Unfortunately they can't count down - for display purposes that would be nicer in many cases :-(

Comment

I made the timer, and in a event The trigger was the motion sensor. Then in the action I turned the light on and started the timer. That worked.
          I then made a event stating " when timer is over" X time turn off light, stop timer, but don't have the option to reset.. I know I'm doing something wrong
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

The timer is reset when you "start" it.

Comment

You can also stop the timer then set the timer to 0. When I’m looking at a timer I want it to be stopped and at 0 when not being used.

Name:	image.png
Views:	234
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1611823
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Is there any way to get higher resolution than one second?

Comment

Originally posted by Younglake View Post
                  No, there isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                    No, there isn't.
                    Thank you Randy.

Comment

Thank you guys, I got it working... thank you all.
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Is there a difference when turning off switches that are dimmer VS on/off switch? I am seeing that when a dimmer switch is about to turn off and it's gets a signal to turn on it flickers and continues to turn off.
                        Hector
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

That would be affected by the ramp rate setting. Switches are instant but a dimmer can be set such that it takes seconds to complete a turn off or setting to an on level. If it is a slow ramp, a dimmer could take seconds to fully turn off before it can accept a new command.

Comment

Originally posted by Younglake View Post
                            I believe you can, if you want to learn scripting...
                            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                            Home Assistant 2024.3
                            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

It is possible. When I write a timer value to the log I get 7 decimal points of precision. If you use Events it is only resolved to seconds. Here I stop a timer and write its value to the log.

From my log:
                              Circulator ON Normal Cycle - 01:01:21.1034686

There are only two scripting calls for timers 1) reset hs.TimerReset("my timer") and 2) read value hs.TimerValue("mytimer")

Comment

Working...
                              X