Support for Carrier Infinity / Bryant Evolution / ION HVAC Smart Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    I applied to Carrier for API access and was ignored. This confirmed what my local HVAC dealer told me about Carrier dropping the API circa COVID.

There are two GitHub repositories. Both are Python. One is for a wrapper around the Carrier API. The other is an integration into HA that uses the Carrier API.

The HA integration is of not much value other than as a reference. The Carrier API should be of value as it handles the authentication and access to the Carrier API. I have done Python integrations with Emporia to overcome AWS authentication difficulties and with Hubspace to support the device API.

Since Carrier is not responsive, my next step is to try to leverage the Carrier API Python in a manner that I did with Hubspace (Home Depot) and provide a HS integration with the Carrier cloud server.

For those that tune-out of Cloud-based solutions, they should look into Infinitude for the integration. In essence, Infinitude is a reverse-engineer of the RS-485 communications being used between the HVAC equipment and the SAM module (SAM provides the cloud communications so Carrier knows what is going on with their equipment). I tracked Infinitude in the early days of the development and at that time was good enough to support the primary user needs. I do not know the current status. It, of course, is dependent upon any firmware updates that Carrier/Bryant may elect to install in their installed equipment.
    The SAM module can receive ASCII commands through its RS232 port. That's how I had my HAI Omni-II controlling my Infinitude system. When I moved I didn't re-install the Omni-II. But we have a Carrier Infinitude system in the new location and I still have the SAM.If you guys decide to go the RS232 (or other route) via the SAM, I'm set up to test.

Comment

I do not want to take the Infinitude route as that is not something I want to do with my own HVAC equipment. Others that are not as adventuresses will also not what to install equipment that may meet warranty objections from their dealer.

I have been experimenting with the Carrier-API repository available on GitHub using the approach that I took with HomeDepot/Hubspace integration. The good news is that the obstacles that I feared with ability to get the data from the Carrier server have been overcome. I am now struggling with getting Python to deliver valid JSON syntax via MQTT. Once I overcome this then I can put a user interface to enter the account email and password into mcsMQTT and complete the integration. Overall I am happy with the progress and how I can leverage the work done for Hubspace to be applied here and in general to all Python-based integrations that are typically targeted to Home Assistant, Hubitat/SmartThings, OpenHab or Apple/Homekit.

While not complete at this time, the obstacles that I feared have been overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        I applied to Carrier for API access and was ignored. This confirmed what my local HVAC dealer told me about Carrier dropping the API circa COVID.

There are two GitHub repositories. Both are Python. One is for a wrapper around the Carrier API. The other is an integration into HA that uses the Carrier API.

The HA integration is of not much value other than as a reference. The Carrier API should be of value as it handles the authentication and access to the Carrier API. I have done Python integrations with Emporia to overcome AWS authentication difficulties and with Hubspace to support the device API.

Since Carrier is not responsive, my next step is to try to leverage the Carrier API Python in a manner that I did with Hubspace (Home Depot) and provide a HS integration with the Carrier cloud server.

For those that tune-out of Cloud-based solutions, they should look into Infinitude for the integration. In essence, Infinitude is a reverse-engineer of the RS-485 communications being used between the HVAC equipment and the SAM module (SAM provides the cloud communications so Carrier knows what is going on with their equipment). I tracked Infinitude in the early days of the development and at that time was good enough to support the primary user needs. I do not know the current status. It, of course, is dependent upon any firmware updates that Carrier/Bryant may elect to install in their installed equipment.
        Great summary, thank you! Look forward to your work, let me know if I can help test. I technically have the "Ion" system which is just a whitelabled version of it for brands such as Heil, Tempstar, etc. I'm assuming if you solve for one, you solve for all.

My understanding is that Infinitude is unlikely to be a sustainable solution as firmware for at least the last year+ has rendered it ineffective and tbh, while I hate the idea of companies intentionally hobbling functionality like this via firmware updates, I also hate letting firmware bitrot and miss important fixes, feature enhancements or security fixes to keep functionality like this. So to me, I'm more than happy to take the cloud route knowing there's risk there as well (cough, MyQ).

Let me know if I can help test.

Comment

Since I have Carrier unit I will be able to do most of the testing locally. At this point I have confirmed that I am able to run the Python library with the Python script I developed and can see the data delivered via MQTT into HS mcsMQTTT. The risk element was the Python script. It is now functional for at least startup login and ability to retrieve data from the Carrier server.

Next step is the wrapper around the data to create the HS Devices and Features, a UI to let users enter their account credentials, and then trying to control the thermostat from HS which will also require some Python scripting.

Comment

Implementation discussion via mcsMQTT is continued at https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...at-integration

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to drules approach to the proxy server work around? I tried to dm him but there was no response. He had a great idea, but it never worked for me. I'm thinking the firmware for the thermostat was too new or something.

Comment

The Infinitude solution is limited to specific older firmware versions and needs what's essentially a proxy to function, making it quite a workaround and not sustainable long-term. Despite this, there might be a chance it could integrate with the AK plugin, based on the link I shared earlier. I'm thinking of testing it out in the coming weeks. It's a bit frustrating needing to resort to such makeshift solutions just to control my thermostat — a situation that really falls on the shoulders of Carrier/ION.

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to drules approach to the proxy server work around? I tried to dm him but there was no response. He had a great idea, but it never worked for me. I'm thinking the firmware for the thermostat was too new or something. For more Information Visit: Roof Repair Mclean Va
                  possibly due to newer thermostat firmware compatibility issues. It's a shame it didn't work out as hoped. Has anyone else tried reaching out or found an alternative solution?

Comment

I integrated Carrier/Bryant/ION in mcsMQTT plugin based upon a Python library that was available in GitHub. I suspect the library was developed while Carrier was still supporting developers with the public API.

Comment

Has anyone tried exposing the Carrier Infinity thermostat as a HomeKit device via Homebridge and then bringing it into HS4 via the HomeKit Controller Lite plugin, as a workaround?

Carrier Infinity —>

——> https://github.com/grivkees/homebridge-carrier-infinity

———> https://homebridge.io

————> https://shop.homeseer.com/products/d...plugin-for-hs4

—————> HS4

I don't know if the HS plugin supports thermostats, or that would be too many layers, or if the Homebridge Carrier plugin works (so I don’t know much 😁)… but I am using a similar approach for my garage door (RATGDO board flashed with HomeKit software -> HS HomeKit Controller Lite plugin) and it has been rock solid.

Comment

Seems to me that the homebridge route has more opportunity for issues, limitations and complexity than going directly through mcsMQTT plugin.

Comment

Working...
                        X