Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which USB Z-wave recommended for HS4 on Windows box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which USB Z-wave recommended for HS4 on Windows box?

Good day, folks!
    I wasn't sure where to post this so I'll start here.
    I have an old HomeTroller Zee S2 (about 8 years old) that I appear to be outgrowing.
    I have an unused Win10 box and would like to consider "upgrading" to the Windows-based version.
    I run ALL Z-wave devices.

However, on the HS ordering page for the software, it presents a picklist of 4 choices - none of which I understand.
    Price isn't as much a factor as getting the *right* one

Can someone please suggest whether I need (and why)
    a) Z-Waveme Z-wave (US) USB
    b) Smartstick+ Z-wave USB
    c) Nortek Z-Wave & Zigbee
    d) Z-Net Z-Wave Network

Thanks,
    -steve

I can provide a bit of feedback on one device, though no comparison data. I use a Smartstick+ at my HS server, in addition to two z-nets. It works seamlessly. I currently have 21 nodes on the Smartstick+, and 70 and 16 nodes on the z-nets, respectively. At another location I use a Smartstick+ at the server only (centrally located in a small house with walkout basement). I have 27 nodes on that one, and it also works flawlessly.

If cost isn't an object, you might want to consider a z-net instead of a USB stick for the flexibility of location, to move to a finicky device for inclusion (e.g., door hardware), etc.
    -Wade

Comment

Thanks for your feedback Wade. It's hugely appreciated.
      I have 42 nodes on my Z-wave Hometroller Zee S2.

May I ask why do you have multiple Z-nets in addition to the Smartstick+?
      Do they have node-capacity limits?

I'm tired of the seemingly endless Mono-upgrade issues (my box won't upgrade from Mono 5 to 6) and have bumped into space issues on the 32GB card - both of which disappear by moving to Windows.

My only sweaty-palms issue is whether I can port all of my events and devices to Windows world or whether that's a start-from-scratch nightmare.
      If that's not doable, then I may consider whatever upgrade box is available above the Zee level.
      I wish they had a hub-comparison chart and also some kind of port-to-Windows doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
        May I ask why do you have multiple Z-nets in addition to the Smartstick+?
        Do they have node-capacity limits?
        I live in an older home with cement plaster over metal lathe walls and ceilings, and a somewhat meandering ground floor. Range is an issue with anything RF (I have 4 WAPs). I have the 3 controllers arranged to give pretty good coverage throughout.

For the second part of your question, I think the technical limit is 254 (or near that), but I've experienced issues sending large command groups (e.g., all lights off at night) when I had 75+ nodes on one controller. Delayed and/or missed commands as well as difficult inclusions. That's another reason I added the 2nd z-net, as I couldn't reasonably move the HS Server with Smartstick+ to pick up more of the devices. I offloaded 16 devices to the newer z-net to get down to ~70 on the first one. I haven't had any problems since, but I intend to move a few more to the 2nd z-net at some point. A bit of a pain since events have to be reconfigured with the newly numbered nodes/devices.

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
        My only sweaty-palms issue is whether I can port all of my events and devices to Windows world or whether that's a start-from-scratch nightmare.
        I can't comment on this other than to say I've seen a number of threads on this forum about it and was under the impression you could restore a linux backup to a windows installation. Very possibly less straightforward than that of course.
        -Wade

Comment

Working...
        X