Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOB questions

Hello all,

I've been using X10 for about 10 years now. I'm moving into a new house and I am looking to upgrade my home automation.

I will be using the Sony universal remote RM-AV3100 with xantech IR repeaters.

Is the HomeSeer a product that is compatable with these items?

My son is blind and has a large collection of cd's, it would be nice to add voice control of my cd jukbox for him in his room. I would also like to have time anoucements and weather reports for him.

I will have an AV closet with a dedicated computer. It looks like I will need some sort of audio switching system, or can I just use the PC sound card as the single souce for HomeSeer?

TIA!

mcadc,
    Yes to all of these items. It may require additional hardware but HS can interface with all you have listed. The VR is the hardest of the technologies to get "right" but with the right hardware even VR can be made reliable.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      mcadc,
      Yes to all of these items. It may require additional hardware but HS can interface with all you have listed. The VR is the hardest of the technologies to get "right" but with the right hardware even VR can be made reliable.
      WOW!

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you generally list the additional hardware if you have the time?

Thanks

Comment

Well hardware really depends on the amount of money your willing to spend but for IR I would recommend either the Ocelot (which does more than just IR) or the USB UIRT. For VR there is no better single room mic than the Acoustic Magic Microphone. There's the Media Player 9 plugin that can be voice controlled. Speaker output can be as simple as using existing phone lines to deliver line level sound to each room where you have power computer speakers to as elaborate as a whole house audio system. I use a single receiver and control it with my Ocelot. I then have HS announcements directed to the whole house speaker system.

Comment

Thanks! That should keep me busy for a while.

Comment

Rupp,

The Ocelot is nice, but how would you recommend using a blast IR. It seems that is not an option on this piece. By having all my AV/stereo equipment in a closet I thought I could minimize the wiring by using a blaster.
            Am I missing something?

One more thing... If I use the Xantech 686-10 speaker switch, will I need the remote/programmer or does HS have all these codes?

Mike
            Last edited by ; March 11, 2005, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Mike,
              The powermids come in pairs. One receiver and one transmitter. Then are designed to transmit IR from one location to another. If the Ocelot and the equipment are all in the same closet the powermids are probably over kill. There are IR blasters that you can built for a few dollars in parts. You could always try the powermids. The Ocelot has an IR output jack. You attach an IR emitter to this jack and then attach the other (emitter) end to one of the powermids (the transmitter). This will send the signal to the receiver and blast it.

Comment

Mike,

Even though your equipment is all in only closet, I would suggest that you use emitters instead of a blaster so you'll have better reliability.
                Martin Custer

Comment

I use my Ocelot to control my A/V equipment in a dedicated closet. The Ocelot is near my computer & approx 25 feet away from the closet. I have been using the RCA D940 IR Signal Sender/Receiver with NO errors for 4 years.

In Structured wiring box:
                  ---> --->

My Ocelot is located in the structured wiring box along with a Xantech IR emmitter (plugged into Ocelot) & the RCA transmitter, the RCA receiver and multiple Xantech emitters (connected to the RCA) are located in the A/V closet & send the IR commands to my equipment.

Scott
                  Last edited by ; March 12, 2005, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Scott,
                    This is an excellent post. This is exactly how I have my Ocelot connected. The only thing that is different is I use the powermids which I'm sure are the same as the device your posted.

Comment

Whole House Audio

Originally posted by Rupp
                      Well hardware really depends on the amount of money your willing to spend but for IR I would recommend either the Ocelot (which does more than just IR) or the USB UIRT. For VR there is no better single room mic than the Acoustic Magic Microphone. There's the Media Player 9 plugin that can be voice controlled. Speaker output can be as simple as using existing phone lines to deliver line level sound to each room where you have power computer speakers to as elaborate as a whole house audio system. I use a single receiver and control it with my Ocelot. I then have HS announcements directed to the whole house speaker system.
                      Rupp,
                      Per your remark "Speaker output...simple as using existing phone lines...", can you elaborate a little more? Are you stating that you can use 2 of the 4-wires to each phone outlet for audio with the other 2 used for phone???

Have been wondering how to channel HS audio to each room without installing ceiling speakers and additional wiring.

sportera

Comment

Maybe reading a little more helps!

Sorry for the unecessary post. Read down and found another post that answered the "whole house audio" question.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys!

The Sony IR remote is programmed and working great. I don't move into the new house for 2-3 months so I have time to work out any issues. Now that I know that the remote works, I can troublshoot any IR problem separately....I think. LOL

Boy, theres a lot of reading...

If I have a dedicated home PC w/ HS, what are the benefits of using the Ocelot? Would I be better off just using the USB-UIRT?

So far this is the equipment I want to use;

System Components
                          Dell PC 2.4GHz, 256 Ram, XP home (AV closet)
                          HomeSeer
                          Sony RM-AV3100 (for instant AV and X-10 control)
                          Ocelot or USB-UIRT (not sure which way to go yet)
                          IR receivers (TBD)
                          Xantech 791-44 Connecting block (AV closet)
                          4040 IR X10 Command Console (In master bedroom w/ IR emitter)
                          Acoustic Magic Microphone (In my sons room)

Automation
                          Home theater
                          Amp 5.1
                          (2) Pioneer 301 CD Jukeboxes
                          Direct TV/Cable (depending on the trees )
                          TV
                          Projector
                          Screen
                          Sub and Sound transducer w/ 500W amp

Other hardware
                          Inside lights
                          Outside lights
                          Gas logs
                          Snail mailbox
                          Email
                          Incoming calls
                          Driveway alert
                          Motion sensors on property
                          Outdoor cameras front and rear of house
                          Whole house audio

Comments welcome. Do you see any problems with the plan so far?

Comment

Working...
                          X