Extending Cord of CM11A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending Cord of CM11A

I need a longer connection cord on my CM11A as an open outlet is not within reach of the COM port. What is the best way to extend the cord supplied with the unit?
    Regards, Bob

You can either buy a serial extension cable or cut the cord and extend it using phone cord.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Or you could use an electrical extension cord on the other side of the box...

Mick

Comment

could you not just use a telephone extension cord - male on one end, female the other?

Comment

Phone wire

I used phone wire. I mounted the CM11a at the breaker panel. Crimped on a new end to plug into the CM11a and wired the other end into a 9-pin d-sub connector. No extensions needed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffCharger
            could you not just use a telephone extension cord - male on one end, female the other?
            Jeff that aught to work but it seems from vague memory that plug was smaller than a phone plug.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Connector Info

Rupp, you are correct. I am a buyer for the company I work for (Medical Equipment Manufacturer) and purchase lots of parts from Allied Electronics. Here is a link to thier page for the proper connector. It is a handset modular connector. http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=142.pdf Making a custom cable is always cleaner than extensions.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Last night I just used an extention cord which did the trick for now. Later I suspect I will extend the cord using telephone wire.
                Regards, Bob

Comment

This post contains links that describe both the pin out and wiring assignments as well as an easy to wire handset plug that I was able to obtain from RadioShack three years ago that'll plug into the CM11a.

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=86697

Plugging my CM11A into an outlet by the breaker panel and building a cable that goes to the computer significantly increased the reliability of my system by increasing signal strength throughout the house.

Comment

Working...
                  X