Media Storeage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Storeage

What do people use for media storage? I have a 106Gb internal & a 250Gb external and am finding myself running out of room!!! Short of buying a multi-thousand dollar SCSI network attached storage solution, is there any way to get large quantities oh disk space? (i.e. using regular ATA drives) What are you folks using at home?

What are you storing on these movies?

Have you thought about a disk changer instead?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes, so far Sony has tho only one large enough to be of any use and all of my equip is Pioneer, so I would like to stay with one brand.

Comment

If your computer case is large enough, get a Promise or similar SATA or PATA controller and a few 250GB to make a nice array. In case you don't know what an array is, it basically allows you to create a giant partition say 1TB based on 4x 250GB disks. You can even get more protection by using RAID 5 but it requires more disks to hold extra information.

I have almost 500GB storage each on 2 of my PCs for backups, music, and hi-def documentaries.

But if you're storing for movies only, consider getting the Sony changer which has 400-disc capacity. The dollar per storage is much cheaper, not to consider the saving in electricity.

Simon

Comment

Its not just for movies, I am also a computer geek at heart. I just need a new computer to build. When using a RAID setup, can you increase the size on the fly (I know you can't take one out unless your in high end stuff) or do you need to do a reformat to the entore array with the new disks included?

Comment

I know Windows 2000/XP/Server supports software RAID which you can add additional hard drive and resize partition on the fly without even rebooting Windows.

With regards to hardware RAID like Promise ATA, I'm not sure as I haven't tried it myself.

Simon

Comment

Where, exactly is the difference between a software and a hardware raid?

Comment

Hardware RAID means you're configuring the RAID before Windows boots. Using 4x 250GB hard drives for example, if you use hardware RAID, it means by the time Windows boots, Windows thinks it's a 1TB storage and not even aware of it's actually 4x 250GB drives.

In software RAID, you need to configure through Windows. Windows called "Dynamic Disk".

Once they're configured, it makes no difference except if you screws up Windows, there might be a chance you'll lose the software RAID configuration too.

Simon

Comment

All this time, why have I never heard of dynamic disk! I am looking it up as I type. Might be the answer I am looking for!

Comment

Working...
                  X