AC Power for Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Power for Homeseer

I spent the weekend straightening out my home automation equipment in my basement. I want to bring over the AC power to this area. Any suggestions on the best way to do this. I am thinking of using two 20 amp breakers to get both sides of the electrical panel and then have four metal double outlet boxes by the equipment. That would give me 16 places to plug in. Or maybe just one double outlet box and then go with powerstrips?

From memory - I will be plugging in the following:
    Two computers
    Monitor
    Powermid
    Powerlinc USB
    AB8SS Wall Wart
    2 Stereo Recievers
    Net-Caller ID Wall Wart
    Network Hub Wall Wart
    WGL Designs W800 RF Receiver Wall Wart
    Last edited by johnnybwis; March 14, 2005, 09:39 AM.
    John

My Ac distribution is as follws:

AC power to Automation closet terminating in Plug mold strip (ouitlets on 6" centers, 6 outlets. Homeseer cabinet plugs into this plugmold strip.

Cabinet has 2 Hour UPS and a rackmounted power distribution panel hich has 6 outlets on rear, switch and indicator light on front. Power goes to the UPS and then to the distribution rack. UPS is rack mounted as is the server and all other gear. Flat or wall type stuff is mounted on pull out shelves.

I placed in the cabinet a hefty 12 Volt DC supply (10 amps or so) running off the UPS and ran wire (16 gauge zip cord) to every shelf to provide 12 volts via a small terminal block eliminating a lot of wall warts.

Comment

Johnnybwis:

The idea of bringing two circuits to your homeseer area is a great idea. The problem that I see is that of the circuit protection you plan to use. Your needs would be better suited to that of possible a dual pole breaker (2 pole) that will accomplish what you want.

The 20 A circuit although would provide more ampacity would not be best for safety. All of your devices that I see are designed for a 15 amp circuit.

If you were to use a dp 15 A breaker, you would then be able to split each receptacle to two seperate circuits and in turn carry that through to as many receptacles as you require.

I don't know where you live however, in Ontario, Canada, we are allowed 4 lights and 8 receptacles per circuit and based on that, the loads that you stated above, you should easily be able to use a surface type box - 1110 utility box and 14/3 wire and connect the desired number of receptacles.

Should you use this method, you will have to split the HOT (brass) side of each rec. You will be able to see the little tab accross the two screws. This is the same idea of a kitchen split circuit. The white wire will be common to one side of the Recept ( SILVER SCREWS) and the red and black will go on each of the other screws on the other side of the REC. (BRASS SCREWS)

Hope this helps.

David

Comment

If you run 2 quad boxes, running another two is not that much more effort.

I can't comment on how you'd do this across two breakers, BUT

Wall-warts will eat up a a quad box really quick. I'd run at least 2 quad boxes, and position them with the assumption that you'll still need a powerstrip for wall warts.

Steve C.

Comment

Working...
        X