Log Warning Suppression & Backup HSEvent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log Warning Suppression & Backup HSEvent

In more recent HS4 versions a warning message has been added to the log that reads like the following.

A file cannot be accessed and will be skipped. If this is a plugin owned file the plugin author needs to implement the backup HSEvent: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\mcsSprinklers\data\StartupTrace.txt' because it is being used by another process.

I looked at Settings and did not see a way to select the level of messages that will be included in the log. Can it be done?

The ones I am receiving are associated with HS3 Legacy plugin and HS3, to my knowledge, does not have the backup HSEvent so the guidance provided in the warning cannot be acted upon. Even the HS4 API on GitHub does not seem to have it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	85
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1648272

It is reasonable to improve the backup integrity, but without the ability to act upon the warning these messages just overwhelm an otherwise austere log in my case. The ability to suppress this class of log feedback should be possible. At least there should be some limit on the number of times that the message is put in the log. In this particular case, there should be one message that itemizes the files being affected rather than a message for every file affected.​

Add a vote from me, too, for a way to limit the repeat occurrences of log message – logs can very easily become oversized and unwieldy.

That particular message was useful at first, as it meant I knew which plugins to shut down during backup, but there were too many repeats.

In the end I cheated a bit... never found a fix for the logging, but I use “Jon00 Homeseer Plugin Enable/Disable utility” to switch the plugins off for scheduled backups, and back on again once the backup has ended.

It would be nice to have more control over log entries, though.

Comment

Working...
    X