Z-Wave - newbie basic questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave - newbie basic questions

I'm running HS4 on Windows and I'm new to Z-Wave. I installed a Zooz 800 USB Stick and added it to HS4. There wasn't a specific driver so I added it as a generic serial device which seems to have worked. My questions are:
    1) Do I lose any functionality since there isn't a specific Zooz USB stick Interface driver?

2) Are devices which support 800 chipset/protocol (like the HomeSeer WX300) automatically added with long range using the 800 version?
    2.b) Are other ZWave+ / LR supported devices supported automatically as long range with this setup? For example, I purchased a Zooz Zen54 and its instructions specifically say "Check long range if using." I don't know what that means as I don't see a specific long range checkbox/option in HomeSeer.

Originally posted by ChadW View Post
    I'm running HS4 on Windows and I'm new to Z-Wave. I installed a Zooz 800 USB Stick and added it to HS4. There wasn't a specific driver so I added it as a generic serial device which seems to have worked. My questions are:
    1) Do I lose any functionality since there isn't a specific Zooz USB stick Interface driver?

2) Are devices which support 800 chipset/protocol (like the HomeSeer WX300) automatically added with long range using the 800 version?
    2.b) Are other ZWave+ / LR supported devices supported automatically as long range with this setup? For example, I purchased a Zooz Zen54 and its instructions specifically say "Check long range if using." I don't know what that means as I don't see a specific long range checkbox/option in HomeSeer.
    1) HS4 has the ability to backup/restore the Z-Wave interface. This is not supported with the Zooz USB stick. I've tried it with the Zooz 800 USB stick and also the Zooz 800 GPIO board, and neither is capable of being backed up or restored in HS4.
    2) HS4 has no support for Z-Wave LR. I am unaware of any home automation platform that supports Z-Wave LR at this time.
    2.b) There are no Z-Wave LR options because Z-Wave LR is not supported.

I wouldn't worry too much about the backup/restore.
    It's very rare to need to restore the Z-Wave network on the interface. I've only used that functionality to move from an existing interface to a new one. You'll probably never need it.

The regular backup/restore that's not in the Z-Wave menu still works to backup your system. And you will need this backup! Good that it works regardless of the interface you choose.

I had generally good performance with my Zooz 800 interfaces. You really shouldn't have any problems with yours.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. I find it strange that HomeSeer doesn't support LR yet they are selling hardware that does. Is there a timeline that you or anyone is aware of for when support will be added? I am in a 2800 sqft house and only beginning to add devices. I'd hate to have to buy a repeater because I don't have enough z-wave devices to add to the mesh. Although, I suppose I could look for some cheap plugs with the understanding that every device acts like a repeater.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1
        When adding LR capable devices (as of today) to a network they will simply be recognized as Z-Wave+ devices.
        Isn't ZWave+ the same as LR?

Comment

Isn't ZWave+ the same as LR?
          Nope.
          Z-Wave+ has been around since the 500 series chipsets. Z-Wave LR is 700 & 800 series.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. I find it strange that HomeSeer doesn't support LR yet they are selling hardware that does. Is there a timeline that you or anyone is aware of for when support will be added? I am in a 2800 sqft house and only beginning to add devices. I'd hate to have to buy a repeater because I don't have enough z-wave devices to add to the mesh. Although, I suppose I could look for some cheap plugs with the understanding that every device acts like a repeater.
            My house is only 2000 sq ft but my smartstick is in one upper corner, not centrally located. Most of my zwave devices connect direct even through multiple walls. zwave + range is very good. My temp probes inside my refridge connect direct through the metal enclosure thru multiple walls at 40 ft away.

Comment

I agree with that with a carefully planned Z-wave+ mesh that one Z-wave+ transceiver controller can over a large property. I have a detached garage on the rear of my property that is integrated into my Z-wave network by simply having Z-wave 500 series light switches on the exterior facing walls of the garage and the house.

Comment

I just installed the Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus S2 USB because I couldn't wait for the Smaartstick + to be available. I have a Z-wave network that goes back to the original products from HomePro with 9 devices still working but my old interface failed. I have had good results using the generic HomeSeer driver. I stayed away from the 800 series because experience with Z-Wave told me to remember the BLeading edge of Z-Wave development and I didn't need the LR. I disagree with the comment about not needing the backup and restore function. I think its pretty critical to the organized build-out of a Z-Wave network especially if you don't want missing device numbers. Its RF after all, and I have a big mix of the technology revisions. It and Homeseer can act a little flaky when adding devices but HS4 automatically creates backups of your network so that if you end up with a missing node number (which inevitably will happen with a bigger network) you can always step backward and restore the last good device set and try again. The backup and restore functionality of HS4 is very well done and I highly recommend getting familiar with it because it will help you be happy with your z-wave network. One more thing. HS is selling devices that are the latest and greatest that are backward compatible which is more important than the newest features.and it always takes time for the newest features developed in the technology to get supported. That's a given with the BLeading edge.

Comment

Does HS support backing up with the Zooz 700? I don't recall seeing any Zooz controller option to select in the drop down. Also, I'm not sure why the hardware impacts the ability to backup. Can you please explain and maybe point to how Zwave backup works outside of / in addition to the HS4 backup.

Comment

Using the generic serial controller interface model driver with the ZooZ 700 I have no problem using backups that are automatically created each time your Z-Wave system is modified. Under advanced functions of your z-wave plugin you select "restore interface from backup" and scroll down to the file you want which has the date and time in the name. Not sure what you mean by "outside of / in addition to the HS4 backup." Do you mean other versions of HS?

Comment

I have 150 Z-Wave devices over 7000 s.f. My SmartStick is in the far corner of the house. Since the A/C powered devices act as repeaters I have never had an issue with devices getting "lost". I have noticed that any battery devices will struggle once the battery level gets below 30%, though. LR is great for things like driveway gates and other devices that are a long way from the LAST powered device, but in a house it's not necessary. Additionally, I disagree with the inability to back up the interface because if you ever have an OHS&#T (I have) it feels pretty good to replace/restore the interface and continue on without starting from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanS View Post
                        Under advanced functions of your z-wave plugin you select "restore interface from backup" and scroll down to the file you want which has the date and time in the name. Not sure what you mean by "outside of / in addition to the HS4 backup." Do you mean other versions of HS?
                        Ah, I see the Z-Wave backups and they appear to function fine with my Zooz 800, although I haven't attempted a restore.

I thought HS4 had a backup for all the other settings but I cannot seem to find it now.

Comment

Hello,

My understanding of the "proper" way to backup HomeSeer HS4 is the following:

1). Navigate to Plugins-->Z-Wave-->Manage Interfaces and select the Target Z-Wave interface to backup. (This is only necessary if you have multiple interfaces)

2) Navigate to Plugins-->Z-Wave-->Advanced Functions and choose Backup Interface and follow instructions.

3). Do Home above for all additional Z-Wave interfaces (if you have more than 1 interface).

4). Navigate to Tools-->Backup/Restore and perform a "Backup Now". Let this complete.

5). Navigate to Tools-->Backup/Restore and select "Local Restore". Click on "Select Date" and (be careful here as you don't want to do an accidental restore) that you select the "Download" (in blue). In the dialogue box, select where you want to store this backup. I recommend that you don't store it on your working HomeSeer system. (I have a NAS available, however, you could use a thumb drive and should probably rotate through several thumb drives as they do sometimes fail).
                          The name of the backup ZIP will contain a date/time stamp.

I have been in contact with ZooZ and they "claim" that we should be able to use the HS4 backup/restore function to backup and restore their 800LR interface, however, not to move a 500/700 series backup to the 800LR chip. I have not tested this yet, and have ordered an additional 800LR interface to test this out. May possibly brick the 800LR.

I have had Z-Wave interfaces fail and have been really pleased to have current Node backups.

BTW: The backups created in Forum above do reside as individual files in your Homeseer/Data/Z-Wave folder. The file that you download is a ZIP file that contains the entire HomeSeer HS4 data. This ZIP file can be used to move HomeSeer to a new system (even converting from Windows to/from Linux.

I perform a full backup like described above whenever I add new Z-Wave device(s).

I perform Groups above anytime that I make other changes to HomeSeer (like Events...) without new Z-Wave nodes).

________

Please comment if I have any errors in my statements above.

Don

HS4.2.19.0 (Ubuntu Linux)

Comment

Hi,

Not sure how the forum decided to edit my post and change wording?

Should have read:

3). Do Home (number 1) above for all additional Z-Wave interfaces (if you have more than 1 interface).

I perform Groups (number 4) above anytime that I make other changes to HomeSeer (like Events...) without new Z-Wave nodes).

Don

Comment

Working...
                            X