Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any WIRED systems out there that we can integrate with HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any WIRED systems out there that we can integrate with HS?

Hi all,

In process of building a new house... and we're trying to find a quality WIRED Smart home system that will also integrate with HS.

My background, 15 years ago was an integrator using Crestron, Control4, Vantiv and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head. These were ALL wired system and always worked almost flawlessly 24/7 but was also able to add wireless devices via Zigbee. These are all dealer/integrator based systems... and being out of the industry for so long I no longer have the business to acquire these systems.

Been using HS3 Pro and HS4 Pro for the past 5 years at our current house, Zwave everything. Updated from a Windows Server running HS3 and home media assuming the media was causing lagging issues with HS to a Hometroller getting HS4 Pro in the process. Well, that was not the issue... we still have lags, issues every other day with Zwave units not talking to the controller and then working again and blah blah blah. Ran through the ringer over the years with this system and just miss the fully wired systems. The best part of HS for us, is HSTouch and being able to create our own screens. We have multiple tablets through the home plus phones and want to keep this going into the new home.

So what were looking to do is install a fully wired system, lights, thermos, blinds, audio, video and so on just like the highend systems above... but integrate the wireless (probably Zigbee over Zwave now because of the poor execution it has) with HS and also use HSTouch to control both systems.

Is there a full on wired system that is high quality and I do not need to be a dealer for to buy? And are there any plugins with it for HS so it's an easy integration?

Thanks all!

We built a house recently (I am a GC and electrician) I used the W300 switches and Enbrighten outlets everywhere (150 plus). Our home is totally automated including water heaters, showers, locks, garage doors, blinds, curtains, appliances, lighting, audio, video, HVAC, etc. My Z-wave has been flawless for the last 8 months. Our security system is wired and communicates with HS4, and allows both to run events. I could not be happier. I researched the Creston, but frankly the cost to install/upgrade was not worth it (IMO). A little Alexa thrown in for the kids!

Comment

"You seek the Grail!"
      Here is a thread that may interest you for the security end.

The Elk can integrate with some automation tasks but the HS plugin isn't active.

You might have to go with a semi-custom system for some automation. I've been using Denkovi - smartDEN Maxi I/O devices and Alex has a good plugin that interfaces HS with them.
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

The best bus system is KNX, the best lighting control bus is DALI2. DALI2 pricing is comparable to Z-Wave.
        It isn't mentioned much so you might need to do some googling for suppliers in your region however there is plenty of information available for you to make a an informed decision.
        I believe that there is a DALI plugin available for HS, there is a KNX one that was developed by Michael McSharry.

I doubt you would actually need KNX unless you ask for a total BMS, however if you do then KNX has a DALI Gateway to integrate the 2 systems or DALI has a gateway for KNX. Just add HS and you have the GOAT system.

Comment

Back in the last century, I remember reading something about CEBUS. Is that still a thing?

Jim Speiser
          38-year veteran of Home Automation
          Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by Little66085 View Post
            We built a house recently (I am a GC and electrician) I used the W300 switches and Enbrighten outlets everywhere (150 plus). Our home is totally automated including water heaters, showers, locks, garage doors, blinds, curtains, appliances, lighting, audio, video, HVAC, etc. My Z-wave has been flawless for the last 8 months. Our security system is wired and communicates with HS4, and allows both to run events. I could not be happier. I researched the Creston, but frankly the cost to install/upgrade was not worth it (IMO). A little Alexa thrown in for the kids!
            For the W300 switches, are you referring to the Homeseer WX300 units? And what controller are you using?​

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
            "You seek the Grail!"
            Here is a thread that may interest you for the security end.

The Elk can integrate with some automation tasks but the HS plugin isn't active.

You might have to go with a semi-custom system for some automation. I've been using Denkovi - smartDEN Maxi I/O devices and Alex has a good plugin that interfaces HS with them.
            Yes was looking at Elk and so on for security if we can't find something more all in one. Have not seen Denkovi before, I'll look into that.​

Originally posted by Black Cat View Post
            The best bus system is KNX, the best lighting control bus is DALI2. DALI2 pricing is comparable to Z-Wave.
            It isn't mentioned much so you might need to do some googling for suppliers in your region however there is plenty of information available for you to make a an informed decision.
            I believe that there is a DALI plugin available for HS, there is a KNX one that was developed by Michael McSharry.

I doubt you would actually need KNX unless you ask for a total BMS, however if you do then KNX has a DALI Gateway to integrate the 2 systems or DALI has a gateway for KNX. Just add HS and you have the GOAT system.
            Yes I found KNX and DALI2, the issue, as you said, is the area... I'm in the US and there are not many dealers readily available it seems. KNX looks to be the standard everywhere in the world except here... of course buying out of the country is an option but not really something we'd want to do. Unless someone knows of US online dealers?

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
            Back in the last century, I remember reading something about CEBUS. Is that still a thing?
            "a genus (the type of the family Cebidae) that comprises medium-sized monkeys with well-developed thumbs and fully haired prehensile tails" is the only thing I found on CEBUS, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Integraoligist View Post

"a genus (the type of the family Cebidae) that comprises medium-sized monkeys with well-developed thumbs and fully haired prehensile tails" is the only thing I found on CEBUS, lol
              Leave my in-laws out of this.

Jim Speiser
              Still don't know squat

Comment

CEBus - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                  So apparently it is still a thing, just not a hard-wired thing. Could have sworn I had heard that it was at one time the standard for pre-wiring a home for automation.

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

So apparently it is still a thing, just not a hard-wired thing. Could have sworn I had heard that it was at one time the standard for pre-wiring a home for automation.
                    It is a protocol standard independent of the physical carrier media. It is in fact targeted towards physical connections. From the wikipedia article:

CEBus is an open architecture set of specification documents which define protocols for products to communicate through power line wire, low voltage twisted pair wire, coaxial cable, infrared, RF, and fiber optics.
                    I worked for one of the very first (late 1970's) high-end home automation companies in the U.S., Audio Command Systems. Our proprietary system utilized a 15-conductor cable home-ran from every control panel location to a central control and distribution box. The multi-conductor cable carried serial communications from the room controllers and distributed audio.​

Comment

Yes the WX300 HS4PRO

Comment

Originally posted by Integraoligist View Post
                        Hi all,

In process of building a new house... and we're trying to find a quality WIRED Smart home system that will also integrate with HS.

My background, 15 years ago was an integrator using Crestron, Control4, Vantiv and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head. These were ALL wired system and always worked almost flawlessly 24/7 but was also able to add wireless devices via Zigbee. These are all dealer/integrator based systems... and being out of the industry for so long I no longer have the business to acquire these systems.

Been using HS3 Pro and HS4 Pro for the past 5 years at our current house, Zwave everything. Updated from a Windows Server running HS3 and home media assuming the media was causing lagging issues with HS to a Hometroller getting HS4 Pro in the process. Well, that was not the issue... we still have lags, issues every other day with Zwave units not talking to the controller and then working again and blah blah blah. Ran through the ringer over the years with this system and just miss the fully wired systems. The best part of HS for us, is HSTouch and being able to create our own screens. We have multiple tablets through the home plus phones and want to keep this going into the new home.

So what were looking to do is install a fully wired system, lights, thermos, blinds, audio, video and so on just like the highend systems above... but integrate the wireless (probably Zigbee over Zwave now because of the poor execution it has) with HS and also use HSTouch to control both systems.

Is there a full on wired system that is high quality and I do not need to be a dealer for to buy? And are there any plugins with it for HS so it's an easy integration?

Thanks all!
                        KNX, Modbus, ...

Comment

You might mean Clipsal C-Bus?

https://www.clipsal.com/products/sma...agement-system

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                            I dunno,, maybe...? Possibly took the CEBus standard and hung their own label on it, C-Bus?

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
                            X